PDA

View Full Version : Old Linux instructions

Frunobulax
March 10th, 2017, 18:10
Just a note that the installation instructions for Linux are 1) pretty specific to Mac, and2) eight years out of date.

Frunobulax
March 10th, 2017, 19:58
Also, FG no longer works correctly under Linux with Wine. At least not Ubuntu, as of today. It will install and run but there are many glitches that make it unusable.

ddavison
March 10th, 2017, 20:20
Hello dglinder,

Did you try these instructions from the Home page or another set of instructions?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22516-Fantasy-Grounds-in-Ubuntu-Linux-WINE

Frunobulax
March 10th, 2017, 20:43
No. I used the link from the FAQ. You may want to update the FAQ with this newer, Linux-specific link. I will try these. Thanks.

Ken L
March 11th, 2017, 12:35
What wine version do you have?

This is part of why i'm a stickler about FGU.

Frunobulax
March 12th, 2017, 09:02
Ha! Ken, nice signature! :-)

Ken L
March 12th, 2017, 16:13
I have a mug with a picture of this. I guess you sorted the issue?

Wintermute
March 12th, 2017, 18:33
I'm currently running FG under Linux Mint, and have ran it under Ubuntu with no problem. I used the software manager to install wine, downloaded and installed FG. Never had any problems with it. If your still having problems, can you post Linux & Wine version info, I'd be glad to help.

Frunobulax
March 12th, 2017, 21:43
I'm currently running FG under Linux Mint, and have ran it under Ubuntu with no problem. I used the software manager to install wine, downloaded and installed FG. Never had any problems with it. If your still having problems, can you post Linux & Wine version info, I'd be glad to help.

Thanks for the offer. I have in fact managed to also get it working under Mint. Some of the things I thought were bugs are actually just... very odd ways the interface is designed.

Trenloe
March 12th, 2017, 22:08
...very odd ways the interface is designed.
Glad you got going. Make sure you go through the basics of the User guide in the Wiki, and also watch some of the intro videos. There's a good reason why a lot of the interface decisions were made (concentrating on sheet based functionality, maximising screen real estate, etc.) - it can be a bit daunting at first if you're expecting a normal windows application interface, so take the time to get used to it and learn where things are and what FG can do.