PDA

View Full Version : Hidden value on items?

Allmight
March 9th, 2017, 20:01
I run a campaign where players have to use the appraise skill to find out what an item is worth. However, items list their values in the value box, which kind of make the appraise part pretty moot. Sure, i can go through all items and remove the value, but that is a bit of work, and then i as a GM loose any reference as to what they are worth. I could use the "Enhanced Item" extention and enter the value in the GM field. That is still a bit of work, since i have to move all prices, and would break it all if i dont load the extension for some reason.

Best solutuion would be if i could make the value box only show up to me as a GM, and then enter the price they come up with in the notes field when evaluated.

How do you guys handle this? Any advice, tips or tricks?

Nylanfs
March 9th, 2017, 20:31
I believe you can make those items unidentified.

LordEntrails
March 9th, 2017, 20:33
In DM options, turn on Item Identification (as Nylafs suggests). This will only make the unidentified name and description available to the players. Then when they actually ID and appraise it, you mark it as identified.

Allmight
March 9th, 2017, 20:34
Yes, but as soon as they idenify them, they see the value of the item. Sure, worst case scenario if there is no good way to handle this, i could just say that they automatically know the value of the item as soon as they identify it. But i would prefer to treat identification and appraisal seperatly.

BTW, this is for a Pathfinder campaign, if that helps.

Trenloe
March 9th, 2017, 20:36
But i would prefer to treat identification and appraisal seperatly.
That would need a change to the code, or doing something manually like you've mentioned (for example: removing the cost before you identify the item to the players).

LordEntrails
March 9th, 2017, 20:38
There is not currently the ability to track ID and cost as separate unknowns. You'll need to edit the items to remove the costs or find another way to manage for now. You can add the idea to the wishlist here if it's not already there; fg2app.idea.informer.com

Allmight
March 9th, 2017, 20:46
Ah well, guess i have to do it the manual way for now.

If i remove the value from the value box, could that cause any problems inside FG? Or is that box only for information/scripts?

Trenloe
March 9th, 2017, 20:48
If i remove the value from the value box, could that cause any problems inside FG? Or is that box only for information?
Depending what ruleset you use, and if you distribute wealth through the party sheet, it could impact the amount the PCs get. See the Inventory Tab section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Party_Sheet

Allmight
March 9th, 2017, 20:53
Ah yes, forgot that you can sell unwanted items directly in the party sheet. However, i really dont use that function since i want players to carry the loot they want to sell to a shop, old school style. So in this case, that's really not a problem.

Guess i have to try it out for a bit, see how it goes.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me.