PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Middle-Earth

NotRussellCrowe
March 9th, 2017, 04:03
Hey, all!

Collumbus is going to take over maintenance for this extension. You can find the latest version in post #104 of this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37167-Adventures-in-Middle-Earth&p=416847&viewfull=1#post416847

Thanks, Collumbus, and happy gaming to everyone!

CMYKMatter
March 15th, 2017, 02:40
Awesome work and I'm so happy about this. I may be dumb though, but how exactly do I install this?

Trenloe
March 15th, 2017, 02:41
but how exactly do I install this?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Extensions

trembot_89
March 24th, 2017, 00:18
I'm having some troubles with this.
It's probably severe user error on my end but do I need to unzip the whole file into the extension folder or what?

NotRussellCrowe
March 24th, 2017, 00:23
Hi, trembot_89!

Just put the .ext file in your Fantasy Grounds Extension folder.

It's really easy to get to this folder:

Launch Fantasy Grounds
On the main landing screen, click the folder icon at the top-right (above the version)
Open the extensions folder
Copy AiME OGL.ext into this extension folder
Restart Fantasy Grounds

Once done you start up a D&D 5e game and choose Adventures in Middle-Earth OGL extension.

Hope that helps.

Happy gaming!

trembot_89
March 24th, 2017, 03:23
Hello to you too, NotRussellCrowe,

The issue I'm having is that I download AiME OGL as a zip and not an ext. I can't seem to get it to be any different...

LordEntrails
March 24th, 2017, 03:26

The issue I'm having is that I download AiME OGL as a zip and not an ext. I can't seem to get it to be any different...
Did you try renaming the above .zip file to a .ext file?

trembot_89
March 24th, 2017, 03:33
Did you try renaming the above .zip file to a .ext file?
I renamed the file but it didn't change the file type...

trembot_89
March 24th, 2017, 03:51
I renamed the file but it didn't change the file type...

My bad, I fixed my screw-up. I was trying to rename the already zip to ext instead of redownloading it as renamed to ext. Thanks LordEntrails for your suggestion.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 04:09
The attachment is a ZIP file. @NotRussellCrowe - I'd recommend renaming it to .ext and re-uploading to avoid any further confusion. You can upload .ext files as attachments.

NotRussellCrowe
March 24th, 2017, 10:44

My sincerest apologies, trembot_89, I did not even realize that when I put up v0.2 I had uploaded a .zip and not an .ext file.

The attachment is a ZIP file. @NotRussellCrowe - I'd recommend renaming it to .ext and re-uploading to avoid any further confusion. You can upload .ext files as attachments.

New file has been uploaded.

Again, apologies to everyone for the confusion and trouble I have caused you today.

Happy gaming!

Trenloe
March 24th, 2017, 18:32
Again, apologies to everyone for the confusion and trouble I have caused you today.

Happy gaming!
No worries. Thanks for sharing your work with the community.

Happy Gaming indeed, my precious...

trembot_89
March 24th, 2017, 22:48
My sincerest apologies, trembot_89, I did not even realize that when I put up v0.2 I had uploaded a .zip and not an .ext file.

New file has been uploaded.

Happy gaming!

All good NotRussellCrowe, I learned a valuable lesson on downloading files for extension use so I'd call that a win! Keep up the good work!

P.S. I didn't see the new character creation rules included in your extension, are there any rulesets/mods/extensions that handle those yet?

NotRussellCrowe
March 24th, 2017, 22:56
I totally intended to upload the .ext file so how the .zip file got up there was completely by accident.

Anyways... this does not include the content from the Player's Guide, that is copyrighted content that I am not allowed to share (plus I haven't even created my own personal module, that's on my to do list for when I'm feeling much less lazy). Sorry about that, you'll need to pick up the Player's Guide or make up your own rules. Unless Smite Works has a deal with Cubicle 7 and is working on this content but I haven't heard anything about that. It would be nice though, less effort on my part for sure!

Hopefully you're still able to have your adventures in Middle-earth!

Happy gaming!

trembot_89
March 25th, 2017, 00:24
Anyways... this does not include the content from the Player's Guide, that is copyrighted content that I am not allowed to share (plus I haven't even created my own personal module, that's on my to do list for when I'm feeling much less lazy). Sorry about that, you'll need to pick up the Player's Guide or make up your own rules. Unless Smite Works has a deal with Cubicle 7 and is working on this content but I haven't heard anything about that. It would be nice though, less effort on my part for sure!

That makes sense. I have the players guide pdf, but was really hoping to be able to be lazy. Oh well, it looks like I'll have to try and learn to make my own private module and hope that the almighty Powers That Be are collaborating on making it FantasyGrounds friendly.

NotRussellCrowe
March 25th, 2017, 00:42
Make sure you check out the following videos if you're going to make your own:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Zacchaeus55/videos?view=0&shelf_id=0&sort=dd

trembot_89
March 25th, 2017, 01:11

This is great, thank you!

tcorb1
April 14th, 2017, 09:58
when adding weapons, coming up with fault since update. Script error [string"campaign/scripts/char_lua"]:177: attempt to call field' getValue'{a nil value}.

NotRussellCrowe
April 14th, 2017, 12:30
I have not had a chance to be proactive and test it with the updated version and I'm a bit busy at the moment so it will be a bit before I can get back and look at this.

Can you manually add weapons without issue and do you know if weapons added before the update still work?

tcorb1
April 14th, 2017, 23:39
I have not had a chance to be proactive and test it with the updated version and I'm a bit busy at the moment so it will be a bit before I can get back and look at this.

Can you manually add weapons without issue and do you know if weapons added before the update still work?

no can't manually add weapons without issue and was working before update.

NotRussellCrowe
April 24th, 2017, 03:14
when adding weapons, coming up with fault since update. Script error [string"campaign/scripts/char_lua"]:177: attempt to call field' getValue'{a nil value}.

So I can reproduce this but tracking down the bug is proving much more difficult. There are also errors if you go to the Actions tab and try to attack with the weapons, and the modifiers are not even showing up (attack roll modifier). I never changed the Inventory or Actions tabs so no idea off the top of my head what is going on here. I think your only hope right now is to stop using this extension and manually keep track of the extra items yourselves.

Sorry about all this.

damned
April 24th, 2017, 03:48
Hi NotRussellCrowe in some of your files it looks like you have included way more than is neccessary.
Some files (eg template_char.xml) dont need you to replicate the whole 5e file and then make your changes - just add your changes only. This will reduce the number of areas that things can conflict with each other after the base changes.
Do that first and then re-test.

NotRussellCrowe
April 24th, 2017, 03:53
Hi NotRussellCrowe in some of your files it looks like you have included way more than is neccessary.
Some files (eg template_char.xml) dont need you to replicate the whole 5e file and then make your changes - just add your changes only. This will reduce the number of areas that things can conflict with each other after the base changes.
Do that first and then re-test.

Well that is very interesting. Thank you!

Does that hold just for .lua files or for .xml as well?

damned
April 24th, 2017, 03:57
lua is more complex for sure.
initially everyone replaced the entire lua file but there was a discussion (mostly) between Moon Wizard and Dulux_Oz (and possibly a few others like Trenloe) where they talked about this and that it was possible now not to include entire files... I cant find it right this moment though...

NotRussellCrowe
April 24th, 2017, 04:14
lua is more complex for sure.
initially everyone replaced the entire lua file but there was a discussion (mostly) between Moon Wizard and Dulux_Oz (and possibly a few others like Trenloe) where they talked about this and that it was possible now not to include entire files... I cant find it right this moment though...

Thank you very much, damned, you nailed it! Just removing the extraneous XML in template_char.xml resolved the issue.

My lua coding is mostly new files, only a few strings changed so that's no biggie to maintain.

Thanks again!!

Kelly

Bidmaron
April 24th, 2017, 04:22
The discussion you are looking for is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35261-Extension-Question)
Lest ye be impressed with my search fu the only reason I know is because I was involved.

NotRussellCrowe
April 24th, 2017, 04:31

Hi, tcorb1!

Thanks to damned the extension should now be working. I have uploaded 0.3 and you can find it on the first post. No other features added, just got it working with FG 3.3.0.

Thanks for using this and I do apologize for the delay in getting the extension updated.

NotRussellCrowe
April 24th, 2017, 04:39
The discussion you are looking for is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35261-Extension-Question)
Lest ye be impressed with my search fu the only reason I know is because I was involved.

Thanks, Bidmaron!

Trenloe
April 24th, 2017, 05:02
Thank you very much, damned, you nailed it! Just removing the extraneous XML in template_char.xml resolved the issue.
Just be very sure of where you've made changes so that for future versions of the 5E ruleset you can do a quick compare and see if you need to update your extension.

It's a trade-off - minimizing your XML or LUA reduces the chances of there being a future upgrade causing an issue, but it makes it harder to do a quick compare and see if the code you've used needs to be changed to be compatible with a future upgrade. So, just make sure any changes you make are explaned in comments/additional readme files so that you can refresh your memory in a few months time when you might need to check for compatibility.

Oh, and by-the-way - you need to repackage the new extension. You've zipped from outside of the directory, not inside.

NotRussellCrowe
April 24th, 2017, 05:15
Just be very sure of where you've made changes so that for future versions of the 5E ruleset you can do a quick compare and see if you need to update your extension.

It's a trade-off - minimizing your XML or LUA reduces the chances of there being a future upgrade causing an issue, but it makes it harder to do a quick compare and see if the code you've used needs to be changed to be compatible with a future upgrade. So, just make sure any changes you make are explaned in comments/additional readme files so that you can refresh your memory in a few months time when you might need to check for compatibility.

Oh, and by-the-way - you need to repackage the new extension. You've zipped from outside of the directory, not inside.

One of these days I'll upload something and get it right. ;)

Thank you for noticing my error, would have likely never solved it when the issue had been reported.

Happy gaming!

tcorb1
April 24th, 2017, 22:32
Hi, tcorb1!

Thanks to damned the extension should now be working. I have uploaded 0.3 and you can find it on the first post. No other features added, just got it working with FG 3.3.0.

Thanks for using this and I do apologize for the delay in getting the extension updated.

Thanks, NotRussellCrowe

inawkwardscience
April 25th, 2017, 01:24
Thank you. NotRussellCrowe! This is amazing work!

These videos are fantastic, but by following these...is a new module created? I might just have to learn Par5e. I would like only Middle Earth classes/races/ect. showing as options for the players.

NotRussellCrowe
April 25th, 2017, 01:28
Thank you. NotRussellCrowe! This is amazing work!

These videos are fantastic, but by following these...is a new module created? I might just have to learn Par5e. I would like only Middle Earth classes/races/ect. showing as options for the players.

You can start a blank 5e campaign and enter the classes and such, export as a module and then just use that in your AIME campaign like you do the 5e PHB.

inawkwardscience
April 25th, 2017, 01:54
So doing that will only include AIME info? By blank, you mean not using any books right?

NotRussellCrowe
April 25th, 2017, 01:57
So doing that will only include AIME info? By blank, you mean not using any books right?

The export will include all the classes, feats, races, and equipment you add to it.

When I say blank I mean not using your adventure campaign, or else story elements and such will also be included and the players would be able to see those.

When I do them I'll do one for the players and another for me with NPCs, maps, tables and such.

inawkwardscience
April 25th, 2017, 02:01
Ahh ok. I'ts funny how much i've forgotten. Been away for a bit. Thank you, again.

I wonder why anyone would want to use Par5e when this seems so much easier.

NotRussellCrowe
April 25th, 2017, 02:04
Ahh ok. I'ts funny how much i've forgotten. Been away for a bit. Thank you, again.

I wonder why anyone would want to use Par5e when this seems so much easier.

It's only recently, I believe, that you could create full 5e classes and such directly in Fantasy Grounds. You still need to edit the XML if you want a reference manual in your module. I've never played with Par5e before so I'm not sure if there is any advance or even a need to use it if you're willing to crack open the module and edit some XML. Disclaimer: I haven't done that yet so no idea what I'm getting into.

AlphaDecay
May 1st, 2017, 03:33
Thanks a ton for working on this. Just picked up the books and my kids are looking forward to playing.

inawkwardscience
May 1st, 2017, 06:36
It's only recently, I believe, that you could create full 5e classes and such directly in Fantasy Grounds. You still need to edit the XML if you want a reference manual in your module. I've never played with Par5e before so I'm not sure if there is any advance or even a need to use it if you're willing to crack open the module and edit some XML. Disclaimer: I haven't done that yet so no idea what I'm getting into.

I'm plugging away. Much trial and error.

AlphaDecay
May 4th, 2017, 05:30
So I've been importing data from the player's handbook... Two things, first its a bit minor but it seems like I can't resize the character sheet (grabbing the little resizer in the bottom right of the window), and second - how would I go about linking skills to their info icon? For example, I made a skill for Traditions but when clicking on the info icon on the Skills tab it says "Unable to open window using wildcard link, because no module containing that link is open." I don't mind digging into the xml - I'm just not a pro at it and if there is any pointers that would be nice. Thanks.

NotRussellCrowe
May 4th, 2017, 11:06
So I've been importing data from the player's handbook... Two things, first its a bit minor but it seems like I can't resize the character sheet (grabbing the little resizer in the bottom right of the window), and second - how would I go about linking skills to their info icon? For example, I made a skill for Traditions but when clicking on the info icon on the Skills tab it says "Unable to open window using wildcard link, because no module containing that link is open." I don't mind digging into the xml - I'm just not a pro at it and if there is any pointers that would be nice. Thanks.

Hi, AlphaDecay.

I'll look into the character sheet not resizing. It used to resize so there's likely just a bug in the sheet since the latest update, I would hope it's not too difficult to fix.

As for the skill references I do not know how to fix that as of yet but it's something I was thinking about recently. I'll add it to the list.

Thanks for reporting these!

AlphaDecay
May 4th, 2017, 13:04
No problem, if I figure anything out I'll post it. I'm trying to make the AiME module be a standalone (not need the DD PHB open for data/info). Got all of the cultures and virtues done plus reference (although not yet in the reference module format - just organized story entries). Working on classes now.

NotRussellCrowe
May 4th, 2017, 13:08
No problem, if I figure anything out I'll post it. I'm trying to make the AiME module be a standalone (not need the DD PHB open for data/info). Got all of the cultures and virtues done plus reference (although not yet in the reference module format - just organized story entries). Working on classes now.

That's pretty good! I have only had time to enter all backgrounds. Was going to try virtues next as those are simple. Not hard, just takes time.

Anyways, I'll take a look when I get a few moments, at least the character sheet can be used without errors, hopefully it's small enough to fit on all screens. Really the only thing I did was change the minimum height and width. Oh well, I'm sure it will be simple.

Happy gaming!

Trenloe
May 4th, 2017, 13:11
FYI - you can still resize the character sheet the good old CTRL+click&drag way. See Windows -> Sizing here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Windows

NotRussellCrowe
May 4th, 2017, 23:13
FYI - you can still resize the character sheet the good old CTRL+click&drag way. See Windows -> Sizing here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Windows

That worked great, thanks, Trenloe!

AlphaDecay, just do as Trenloe instructs and the character sheet will resize without error, or at least it did with me.

AlphaDecay
May 5th, 2017, 02:25
Gotcha on the resize thing, interesting the grabber doesn't work. What follows doesn't solve any problems, but is what I've seen digging through things (as a person who has never looked at the guts of FG before). Anyway I've been digging around on the skill issue and as I understand it, if you don't replace a file, the original is used. So, in the /campaign/scripts folder for 5th edition is a char_skillist.lua file. At line 99 it shows:

match.shortcut.setValue("ref_ability", "reference.skilldata." .. t.lookup .. "@*");
Now, when one does an export and creates a module, a common.xml file is created which is a data repository of the stuff one has created. In the case of skills there is a section in the "lists" area that looks like (for me using the acrobatics skill I made):

<reference_skill>
<name type="string">Skills</name>
<index>
<id-00001>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_skill</class>
<recordname>reference.skilldata.id-00001@Adventures in Middle Earth PHB</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Acrobatics</name>
</id-00001>
</index>
</reference_skill>
You can see the reference.skilldata bit there and the "id-00001" is a reference to the "reference" section further down in the common.xml file, which contains sections for classes, feats, races, etc.. and in the above example looks like (for my custom module):

<skilldata>
<category name="AiME PHB" baseicon="0" decalicon="0">
<id-00001>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<name type="string">Acrobatics</name>
<stat type="string">Dexterity</stat>
<text type="formattedtext">
<p>Your Dexterity (Acrobatics) check covers your attempt to stay on your feet in a tricky situation, such as when you're trying to run across a sheet of ice, balance on a tightrope, or stay upright on a rocking ship's deck. The DM might also call for a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to see if you can perform acrobatic stunts, including dives, rolls, somersaults, and flips.</p>
</text>
</id-00001>
</category>
</skilldata>
So maybe the char_skillist.lua needs to be changed to be able to "find" these custom skills? Although one could open the DD PHB and get most of the skills, it doesn't solve the issue for the new skills that need to be created. If one can solve the issue for the new skills, then one could not use the DD PHB at all and just make new entries for all of the skills (and thus not need the PHB open to play an AiME session, just the custom data module and your extension for the character sheet). As I cant "unzip" the DD PHB (as far as I know), I can't look at their common.xml file to make the links line up in my common.xml - plus I don't know what kind of "id" your extension is looking for when clicking on the new skills.

NotRussellCrowe
May 6th, 2017, 17:59
Thank you, AlphaDecay.

I'll take a look at this when I can. Though my original intent was to open the PHB so that rules could be looked up and skill explanations could be found but maybe this will allow me to not need to do that.

Trenloe
July 31st, 2017, 19:07
Known Bugs: Corruption field label doesn't show at all.

Typo in the string definition:

<stirng name="char_label_corruption">COR</stirng>

Figure out why the Miserable checkbox label will only ever show "M" instead of whatever my string constant is set to

The control label_charfieldtop is anchored to a control using the <anchored position="above" offset="0,3" /> definition. above means that it inherits the width of the control it's anchored to. This control is a buttongroup_counter control which dynamically sizes based off how many buttons it contains - and as there is one button, it's sizing to be quite narrow - which the label picks up and so only has space to show the first letter.

You're probably better off just using a standard label control for this - and set the anchor to a corner (so width and height aren't inherited) and then set the width etc. yourself. For example:

<label>
<anchored to="miserable" position="lefthigh" offset="-25,-35" width="40" height="20" />
<static textres="char_label_miserable" />
<tooltip textres="char_tooltip_miserable" />
<font>subwindowsmalltitle</font>
<center />
</label>

NotRussellCrowe
August 2nd, 2017, 00:19
Thank you very much, Trenloe!!

New version has been uploaded.

AlphaDecay, I haven't done anything about skill description links. My plans to run AiME this fall has changed so I haven't been working on the Player's Guide. I suspect you could modify the extension with your new skill IDs in your own module and it would work, but I haven't dug into it much lately.

Thanks again everyone. Happy gaming!

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2017, 00:23
Thank you very much, Trenloe!!

New version has been uploaded.
Fantastic! :)

I'll be using this in about 2 hours for a face-to-face game.

NotRussellCrowe
August 2nd, 2017, 00:24
Fantastic! :)

I'll be using this in about 2 hours for a face-to-face game.

I hope you find no bugs that slow you down and that you have a wonderful adventure!

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2017, 14:05
I hope you find no bugs that slow you down and that you have a wonderful adventure!
I'm starting out slow with it - not using much of the stats, but will start to use them soon.

First encounter of Wilderland Adventures:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20022

Kenomica
August 6th, 2017, 19:14
Fantastic extension. I've already started parsing my PM and LM guide for a home game.

Can't wait to see more.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2017, 16:59
Welcome tot he community Kenomica :)

Kenomica
August 11th, 2017, 14:34

Ctmega
August 14th, 2017, 01:45
Just wanted to say thanks to the OP/Creator for this. I really appreciate your efforts and contributions to the community!

NotRussellCrowe
August 14th, 2017, 03:54
Thank you, Ctmega, I appreciate it. And thank you to everyone else who has commented! I hope you all are enjoying it, even though it doesn't really add much extra to the 5e rule set I'm glad that you are finding it useful. Unfortunately my plans have changed and I won't be running AiME until likely next year so I won't get to actually use it for a while, so it's good that there are a few people who are able to put it to use.

Happy gaming, everyone!!!

Kenomica
August 20th, 2017, 21:43
Great job. I'd like to add a few suggestions

- Your download on page 1 still has the containing directory for me. It's easily fixable by the user - but thought I'd mention it.
- Sections for "Standard of Living" and "Shadow Weakness "would be a great additions - and maybe an area for "Degeneration".
- Remove 5e Skills that are not used in AiME (Religion & Arcana)

I'm still parsing my copy of the Player's Guide & Loremaster's Guide, but will be playing a game soon - can't wait to use your extension.

astromath
September 2nd, 2017, 15:03
I've downloaded and installed other extensions before and they work. However, this one does not want to show up when creating a new campaign. I made sure it is in the extension directory with EXT. I also made sure that it has that extension.xml file is there in the EXT file. I've deleted and recopied it a couple of different times and nothing works. What's going on?

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2017, 15:05
My first thought is that you have FG installed twice and put the extension in the wrong location. If not then I'm not exactly sure. I've been know to pack it incorrectly before but I think a few people have downloaded and used the latest version so I'm thinking that's not likely it. No one said anything anyways.

astromath
September 2nd, 2017, 15:09
Nope. Not installed twice. I downloaded the file from the first post. But it doesn't show up at all. The Basic Card Deck Tables from a different source on this forum works just fine.

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2017, 15:12
At the moment I'm drawing a blank on what it could be and I'm heading out of town in about 5 minutes. I hope someone else can stop by and help out.

Last thought, you're selecting 5e and then choosing the AiME extension right? This isn't a full on rule set.

astromath
September 2nd, 2017, 15:13
That's what I'm saying. When selecting 5e, the extension doesn't show up.

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2017, 15:18
Oh, you will have to quit and start FG after you download it otherwise it may not see it, I think it loads all extensions at start up and does not monitor the folder in real-time. Try restarting FG and hopefully it will show up.

astromath
September 2nd, 2017, 15:19
I did that several times. Still doesn't show up.

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2017, 15:23
I'm out of ideas at the moment, sorry. Hopefully someone else comes along who is able to solve this for you. If you get it solved yourself please post how you did for others knowledge as it has and will happen to others.

Good luck!

astromath
September 2nd, 2017, 16:17
Found the problem. The EXT file/folder had another folder in it. Once I wen into that folder and rezipped what was inside and renamed to EXT, then it worked.

IOW, it looked like a twice zipped file instead of once.

NotRussellCrowe
September 2nd, 2017, 16:21
Crap, sorry, I've done that before too. I'll fix it when I get back in town on Monday.

astromath
September 2nd, 2017, 16:22
Looking at skills. Lore replaces Arcana. Therefore, you need to remove the Arcana skill.

Kenomica
September 2nd, 2017, 19:58
Found the problem. The EXT file/folder had another folder in it. Once I wen into that folder and rezipped what was inside and renamed to EXT, then it worked.

IOW, it looked like a twice zipped file instead of once.

Looking at skills. Lore replaces Arcana. Therefore, you need to remove the Arcana skill.

I mentioned both of those on the last page :p

Great job. I'd like to add a few suggestions

- Your download on page 1 still has the containing directory for me. It's easily fixable by the user - but thought I'd mention it.
- Sections for "Standard of Living" and "Shadow Weakness "would be a great additions - and maybe an area for "Degeneration".
- Remove 5e Skills that are not used in AiME (Religion & Arcana)

astromath
September 2nd, 2017, 20:10
@Kenomica: I can't find anywhere that specifically says the skill Religion is not used or replaced like it does for Arcana (Lore replaces Arcana).

Kenomica
September 2nd, 2017, 20:19
@Kenomica: I can't find anywhere that specifically says the skill Religion is not used or replaced like it does for Arcana (Lore replaces Arcana).

Page 27 of the Player's Guide, "Traditions also covers the knowledge of such religion as exists in Middle-earth."

astromath
September 3rd, 2017, 02:51
Page 27 of the Player's Guide, "Traditions also covers the knowledge of such religion as exists in Middle-earth."

Ah. I was looking for the actual skill Religion (big R) specifically rather than religion (small r) in general.

Kenomica
September 4th, 2017, 09:14
Ah. I was looking for the actual skill Religion (big R) specifically rather than religion (small r) in general.

That's fair - but if you look at the included blank sheets (and pregen characters) - you will see Religion is missing.

astromath
September 4th, 2017, 12:00
Shoot, I never noticed. :p

Kenomica
September 4th, 2017, 21:10
Haha - to be fair, it never occurred to me to look at the character sheets either when seeing if Religion was included or not :p

Manolo Warrior
September 7th, 2017, 20:06
Hello.Installed the ext file in the extension folder but when I start a game with the 5E ruleset the AIME extension doesn´t show in the extensions list. Did also an update.

NotRussellCrowe
September 7th, 2017, 20:10
Hello.Installed the ext file in the extension folder but when I start a game with the 5E ruleset the AIME extension doesn´t show in the extensions list. Did also an update.

Hi, Manolo Warrior. Was an error in the file. I have uploaded a new version, please download again and overwrite the old version.

Happy gaming!

Manolo Warrior
September 8th, 2017, 15:53
Thanks NotRussellCrowe .OK,now it shows but nothing change when I create a campaign with this extension.No new decal or new PC options.

Asterionaisien
September 8th, 2017, 21:20
I tried creating a new campaign with this extension and I still see arcana and religion into skills too.

NotRussellCrowe
September 8th, 2017, 21:23
I haven't removed those yet. When I get some time and energy to sit down and go through the code I'll remove them for now since they don't cause issues I didn't figure leaving them in would cause issues.

Kenomica
September 11th, 2017, 01:20
If NotRusselCrowe doesn't mind, I can post the version I'm using - in which I went and made a few quick edits to the original ext.

NotRussellCrowe
September 11th, 2017, 01:46
Don't mind at all of you want to take over development and maintenance for this extension. When you're ready post a new thread and I'll modify the first post to point to yours and see if the mods will lock this one. Or maybe they'll just delete it.

So anyways if you want it then it's all yours, no credit necessary, put your name all over it. Hopefully you enjoy development more than I do. :)

Kenomica
September 12th, 2017, 04:26
Thanks for the permissions :)

Attached the version I made some changes to - mainly just removing redundant skills and renaming "armor" labels to "armour" (No offence intended to Americans - I just think it's nice to stick to Tolkien's spelling, as the rule books do too)

Not sure I'll have much time to do much more, with work and family etc. but I will try when I have time.

NotRussellCrowe
September 12th, 2017, 11:05
I have attached your version to post #1. Thanks!

Manolo Warrior
September 12th, 2017, 15:43
Great job!. Waiting my Player's handbook to arrive for playing the game.

Myrdin Potter
September 23rd, 2017, 19:12
I had a very good experience with Cubicle 7 where they got me the PDF when I provided proof of purchase for the three hardcover books.

I don't think they support it if you purchase directly from Amazon.com but otherwise if you have proof of purchase they do have a policy of providing the PDF.

Trogodo
January 7th, 2018, 13:08
Thanks for the great effort creating the extension.

NotRussellCrowe
January 20th, 2018, 16:59
Hi, Trogodo, hope you're having a good time exploring Middle-earth!!!

Blue Haven
January 26th, 2018, 16:30
Thank you so much for this :) the one ring went down because of the ruleset but now we can use this :)
Thanks

NotRussellCrowe
January 27th, 2018, 01:04
Thank you so much for this :) the one ring went down because of the ruleset but now we can use this :)
Thanks

Hi, Blue Haven, what do you mean that your The One Ring game went down due to the rule set?

(Love your Dawkins quote by the way.)

Blue Haven
January 29th, 2018, 13:56
Thank you :) The One Ring ruleset (ext) first made was to work with the now gone ruleset foundation core or something like that, can't remember right now the real name of it, so with this new version we can hope for new updates and goodies :)
Big Hugs :P

Eldarc
March 1st, 2018, 11:30
I can't download the file :(

damned
March 1st, 2018, 11:49
I can't download the file :(

If you dont tell us why its hard to suggest the fix...

Eldarc
March 1st, 2018, 11:52
I just can't see any download link. I just see "Attached file", but nowhere to click on.

damned
March 1st, 2018, 12:07
try going to the bottom left hand corner of the screen and choosing FGResponsive theme.

Valarian
March 1st, 2018, 18:41
Thank you :) The One Ring ruleset (ext) first made was to work with the now gone ruleset foundation core or something like that, can't remember right now the real name of it, so with this new version we can hope for new updates and goodies :)
Big Hugs :P
The One Ring ruleset is still available as the fcore-TOR.pak file in the Foundations Core folder of my Rulesets folder (link below in the signature). It's still available and working for The One Ring (TOR) game, and combines the ruleset and extension into the one package file. The ruleset in the OP of this thread is for the Adventures in Middle-earth (AiMe) 5e conversion.

Blue Haven
August 1st, 2018, 00:20
Does this ext still work with the new version of FG?

NotRussellCrowe
August 1st, 2018, 00:27
Seems to work for me. Looks like the Arcana and Religion skills are showing up again; I might get around to trying to fix that in the future but even if they are there it won't prevent you from using the extension.

Elfazar
October 20th, 2018, 19:23
what all exactly does this extension do? I added it to my game, and can load it fine, or so the chat boox says. But i dont really know what it adds to my game

NotRussellCrowe
October 20th, 2018, 20:55
what all exactly does this extension do? I added it to my game, and can load it fine, or so the chat boox says. But i dont really know what it adds to my game

Hi, Elfazar. This extension modifies the player character sheet. It adds boxes for Corruption and Shadow and the Madness and Miserable conditions. It also adds the new skills of Lore, Riddles, Traditions, and Shadow Lore (it also should remove/hide Religion and Arcana but for some reason those are now showing again...). There are a few label changes as well like Feats to Virtues but those don't offer any functionality.

Happy gaming!

Elfazar
October 20th, 2018, 21:26
Thank you :)

Collumbus
December 4th, 2018, 12:16
Hi, Elfazar. This extension modifies the player character sheet. It adds boxes for Corruption and Shadow and the Madness and Miserable conditions. It also adds the new skills of Lore, Riddles, Traditions, and Shadow Lore (it also should remove/hide Religion and Arcana but for some reason those are now showing again...). There are a few label changes as well like Feats to Virtues but those don't offer any functionality.

Happy gaming!
Hi. Im trying to understand how lua scripts and FG structure works, but i didn't found examples of good tutorials to help.
Could you indicate where to start? I have some experience with the C and Python languages, so I think it's just a matter of understanding the framework and having some templates to develop. I'd like to make some customizations on the character sheet by adding some features.

Collumbus
December 4th, 2018, 20:46
I made a fork of version 0.4. I include the "Update graphics for basic theme so they say "Cultures" and "Virtues"" and "Added wildcard link with info for new skills". I uploaded this version as 0.45 here: https://github.com/Collumbus/Adventures-in-Middle-Earth---OGL.

NotRussellCrowe
December 4th, 2018, 20:54
I made a fork of version 0.4. I include the "Update graphics for basic theme so they say "Cultures" and "Virtues"" and "Added wildcard link with info for new skills". I uploaded this version as 0.45 here: https://github.com/Collumbus/Adventures-in-Middle-Earth---OGL.

Hi, Collumbus, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

Sorry, saw this message when I was on the bus this morning and then forgot to respond during lunch. I can't really help as I just poked along myself until it mostly worked and then a few others helped solve the remaining issues for me. See if the following link will help you out:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide

The Lua code itself is pretty easy to write, it's the XML that defines the UI that I had issues with (I'm used to using Visual Studio for my GUIs) more than anything else. I think if you just delve in and work your way through it you'll figure it out. When you get stuck just ask for help in the appropriate forum, lots of people who have written extensions/rule sets that are quite willing to help out.

I haven't had any interest lately in continuing maintenance of this extension since I don't have any interest in running D&D any longer so if you wanted to take over development of this extension I will edit the first post to point to your code in this comment.

Happy gaming and good luck!!

Kelly

damned
December 4th, 2018, 21:14
Collumbus here are some videos that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PSYMXmyvs&list=PLsgd1zJLdiKW23yt4X2qc_9w1TWQfTPUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKJDwUt554
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4leZBomtOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_CulFJYs-M

Collumbus
December 4th, 2018, 21:59
Hi NotRussellCrowe. Thanks for the tips. Despite playing D&D awhile, I only met Fantasy Grounds now. I intend to continue giving maintenance in your extension and enrich it.

Collumbus
December 4th, 2018, 22:00
Hi dammed, Thanks for the support content.It will be very useful.

NotRussellCrowe
December 5th, 2018, 01:46
Collumbus, there's also this reference: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/

NotRussellCrowe
December 5th, 2018, 01:48
Hi NotRussellCrowe. Thanks for the tips. Despite playing D&D awhile, I only met Fantasy Grounds now. I intend to continue giving maintenance in your extension and enrich it.

That's awesome! Good luck and I'll get the first post updated to point to your link!

xanstin
December 13th, 2018, 00:31
I tweaked it a bit for my usage at home. Changed "Dispair" to Despair in notes. I also put back in Alignment and Deities column to re-purpose and changed their labels to Shadow Weakness and Standard of Living. I didn't see any other location to put this.

Also is the Miserable checkbox only an aid or does it trigger Disadvantage on an attack roll?

NotRussellCrowe
December 13th, 2018, 00:34
Miserable puts a little face on the character portrait at the top-left of the screen. You need someone logged in as a player to see it though. It doesn't impact rolls though.

Good thinking on adding those fields!

JohnD
December 13th, 2018, 01:14
I tweaked it a bit for my usage at home. Changed "Dispair" to Despair in notes. I also put back in Alignment and Deities column to re-purpose and changed their labels to Shadow Weakness and Standard of Living. I didn't see any other location to put this.

Also is the Miserable checkbox only an aid or does it trigger Disadvantage on an attack roll?

Miserable denotes whether the PC is married or not.

Collumbus
December 13th, 2018, 11:27
Very cool. I just made a commit with your suggestions. Thank you!

xanstin
December 13th, 2018, 20:11
I left a comment on the closed ticket (not sure if you see those), didn't want to open another for a duplicate issue. Despair is still spelled incorrectly on line 415 of strings_5e.xml

Collumbus
December 13th, 2018, 22:02
Hi, I fixed it as soon as I saw your comment on github. I had forgotten to add the commit modification :p . Thank you.

damned
December 18th, 2018, 00:35
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/MiddleEarth

KlCrash
February 21st, 2019, 04:18
I just stumbled across this thread, I would love to check out the extension, where do I find it

NotRussellCrowe
February 21st, 2019, 04:49
I just stumbled across this thread, I would love to check out the extension, where do I find it

Post 104 one page back. Or use the following link to take you directly there:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post416847

Happy gaming, KICrash!

deer_buster
February 21st, 2019, 05:39
Post 104 one page back. Or use the following link to take you directly there:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post416847

Happy gaming, KICrash!
Badly formatted link

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37167-Adventures-in-Middle-Earth&p=416847&viewfull=1#post416847

NotRussellCrowe
February 21st, 2019, 11:27
Thanks, deer_buster!

I tested that link too before I replied with it but clearly I need more practice.

Trenloe
February 22nd, 2019, 02:06
I tested that link too before I replied with it but clearly I need more practice.
FG shortens the display text of a link (see the ... in the middle?) to reduce the amount of unneeded text being displayed. So if you directly copy the text of a link from a forum post, it won't work. Right-click on the link and select "copy link" or similar.

Hamson
March 10th, 2019, 10:12
I don't understand, I installed the extension and the module. I launch fantasy grounds by activating the extension, I load the module. But once in my campaign the extension doesn't add anything... I don't understand why... I hope you can help me. Sorry for my poor English, I'm French....

NotRussellCrowe
March 10th, 2019, 12:06
Bonjour, Hamson!

The extension only modifies the character sheet a little. It adds a box to keep track of Shadow, adds the new skills, and adds markers to indicate being Miserable, and a few other small modifications.

No books or rules or anything like that are included in this extension. That means you will have to create your own Warden class and Hobbit cultures. If you don't want to go to that much trouble you can just manually fill it in.

Happy gaming!

franzvonwittelsbach
April 23rd, 2019, 18:07
Hi @NotRussellCrowe, I downloaded the .ext file and the .mod file from the CompressedFiles folder in the GitHub repository, and I copied the .ext file in the extensions folder (beside Theme_Dungeon, fate-BlanketSkills and so forth) and I copied the .mod file in the modules folder (beside DD Basic Rules, FateCoreSRD, and so forth).
Do I also need other files, or the two of these are enough? When I close FG and I open it again, it doesn't show AiM-E extension in the 5E ruleset, when creating a new campaign.

Thank you all in advance for your help, FranzVW.

franzvonwittelsbach
April 23rd, 2019, 18:18

image of extensions folder and of create new campaign options

NotRussellCrowe
April 23rd, 2019, 18:41
First try closing FG and starting it up again. If FG was open when you downloaded the .ext file then it won't recognize until you start it again.

I'm not sure what the .mod file contains but you don't load modules until you are in your campaign so that shouldn't be an issue right now.

NotRussellCrowe
April 23rd, 2019, 18:48
Hi, franzvonwittelsbach.

I think you did the same as me a few weeks back downloading from github. I suspect you didn't download the true .ext file but instead downloaded an html file which is why FG can't read it. So when you click on compressedFiles you see two "files" listed. Those are not the downloads. Click on the .ext file and it will load another HTML page where you will find a Download button. Click that button and place it in your extensions folder (overwrite the older one).

franzvonwittelsbach
April 23rd, 2019, 20:05
Thank you sooo much!!!

franzvonwittelsbach
April 23rd, 2019, 20:21
Sorry to bother you people again. Do I have only to properly download just .ext and .mod from CompressedFiles, or also to download, e.g., the .xml from the /modules/ folder?
Because it finally loads the extension, but once in game if I want to create a PC I see cultures and virtues, but I don't see AiM-E classes and races.

NotRussellCrowe
April 23rd, 2019, 20:48
No bother at all, franzvonwittelsbach, ask away!

The .ext is just to update the character sheet (there might be some graphics updated as well, not 100% sure on that) so that it has all the fields necessary to play AiME, such as Shadow, a mechanism to keep track of being weary or miserable, plus the four new skills on the skills tab (lore, shadow-lore, riddle, and traditions). No content from the book is included in this extension, you will have to create those yourself or manually type it in on the sheet. It would be against the law for me to share that with you.

To create your own races/cultures watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw

To create your own classes watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM

I also recommend this one on creating backgrounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtaC2Tz79U

I'm not sure what the .mod file contains as I've never used it.

The XML from the /modules folder is not necessary. Those are the uncompressed files that the developers edit, the .ext/.mod files are all you need.

Happy gaming!

franzvonwittelsbach
April 23rd, 2019, 22:05
Thank you so much NotRussellCrowe, it's very clear!

Happy gaming everybody!

Trenloe
April 24th, 2019, 02:07
The module in GitHub only gives you descriptions for the 4 new skills - accessible when you click the link to the right of the skill on the PC sheet skills tab.

franzvonwittelsbach
April 24th, 2019, 12:01
To create your own races/cultures watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw

To create your own classes watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM

I also recommend this one on creating backgrounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtaC2Tz79U

Happy gaming!

if I want to create races/cultures, classes, backgrounds and other things (e.g. items, artifacts), and to have them persistent so I can have also for other campaigns with the same ruleset, how can I do?

NotRussellCrowe
April 24th, 2019, 12:11
Create a new campaign and put in all your cultures, classes, and everything else. Then in the chat window type /export and when complete you will have a module created.

It's pretty easy doing all that, just time consuming.

Good luck and happy gaming!

franzvonwittelsbach
April 24th, 2019, 12:51
Thank you so much!

Trenloe
April 24th, 2019, 13:40
if I want to create races/cultures, classes, backgrounds and other things (e.g. items, artifacts), and to have them persistent so I can have also for other campaigns with the same ruleset, how can I do?
Info on creating a library module in the Wiki user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

kerrigaj
October 31st, 2019, 10:31
Hi NotRusselCrowe and Collumbus

Fantasy Grounds Unity

Hi. I am running a AiME campaign in FG Classic and recently set up a new campaign and tried to load up the AiME ruleset (no other extensions) in Unity. Unity crashes during loading. The console.log file is not helpful (I checked Advanced Logging, but received no additional information). I noted that the xml standard deployed in the AiME differs from that in Unity, but that's about as far as my troubleshooting skills extend!

Do you have plans to support Unity?

I will be happy to support any planned development work needed to convert AiME from FG Classic to FG Unity, but am not a programmer.

Sincerely, Kerrigaj

NotRussellCrowe
October 31st, 2019, 16:08
Hi, kerrigaj!

I'm sure the extension will get updated but I wouldn't expect it to be ready for the Unity launch.

CV43sailor
March 30th, 2020, 23:24
Hello,
I'm trying to put together a campaign for AiME. I downloaded the AiME extension for FG, and I have been creating all the Cultures and Classes. However, I can't figure out how to get the Skills and Senses to work. Just to give some warning I have only been using this program for less than two weeks. I am definitely learning as I go.

The classes that have skills that must be chosen work fine, but all the classes that assign certain skills and have a choice don't work. Has anyone figured out how to solve this problem. I'm sure it's the way that the D&D 5E extension wants just a list of skills to choose from, so how can I assign skills and have a choice for skills as well? The senses seem to not like "Night Vision" if I simply change it to "Dark Vision" it populates into the character sheet just fine. Any ideas?

Lastly, can we share modules that have all the Adventures in Middle Earth information on the forum, or would this violate the copyright for Cubicle 7?

NotRussellCrowe
March 31st, 2020, 12:16
Hi CV43sailer, and welcome!

For the choices I thought there would be a popup where you get to select, but been so long since I've used this extension I can't remember anymore. If not just manually select which skills you want.

The code is looking for the exact text "Dark Vision" to do what it is doing but hasn't been told to also accept "Night Vision" so that's why it doesn't work for things like that. Sometimes we have to override what the program does.

Sadly we cannot share our modules as they are protected by copyright.

Happy gaming!

CV43sailor
April 5th, 2020, 20:47
Thanks NotRussellCrowe,
I was afraid that would be the answer with the modules.

LoremasterCBurke
April 8th, 2020, 00:10
I have been Loremaster for our group for 1 year playing AiME in Classic. I have transferred all my Classic AiME Files or to Unity. It works well but i do have lag issues.

daddystabz
April 13th, 2020, 11:35
Is there a working/complete Adventures in Middle Earth ruleset download here?

NotRussellCrowe
April 13th, 2020, 11:54
Is there a working/complete Adventures in Middle Earth ruleset download here?

Not to my knowledge. This is an extension that you run on top of the D&D 5e rule set.

Ramlyns
May 30th, 2020, 17:01
Thanks Columbus and NotRussellCrowe and others here for all of your contributions- this is very helpful. I just discovered AIME and purchased the books. I would like to set up a campaign in Unity. A few questions: 1) Is the extension in post 104 of this thread still the most relevant version? Does it work in Unity? 2) What other resources could you point me to avoid having to key literally everything from scratch? I understand and respect the need to protect the owners copy right to the material... but having just purchased all of the books it would be tremendously helpful to have that in the format I can use it. My group is dispersed geographically so FG is the only way we can reasonably play. Any advice or help would be most welcome!

NotRussellCrowe
May 30th, 2020, 17:55
Thanks Columbus and NotRussellCrowe and others here for all of your contributions- this is very helpful. I just discovered AIME and purchased the books. I would like to set up a campaign in Unity. A few questions: 1) Is the extension in post 104 of this thread still the most relevant version? Does it work in Unity? 2) What other resources could you point me to avoid having to key literally everything from scratch? I understand and respect the need to protect the owners copy right to the material... but having just purchased all of the books it would be tremendously helpful to have that in the format I can use it. My group is dispersed geographically so FG is the only way we can reasonably play. Any advice or help would be most welcome!

Hi, Ramlyns, and welcome to Fantasy Grounds!

I haven't tested but I think someone commented that the AiME extension does not run in Unity. I'm sure myself or something else will take a look and upgrade it for Unity (I'm sure it can't be that difficult :p) but personally I won't be looking at it until Unity is out of beta. If someone else wants to tackle it before that time that would be great though.

Unfortunately you will either have to enter everything yourself or just go without. The licence for AiME and TOR just transferred to Free League Publishing this week so maybe in the future we can have official modules but as of right now you will have to do it all yourself.

When I was entering things in for AiME I followed the videos on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Zacchaeus55/videos

They were really great on how to create custom races and classes and get as much automation as possible from them.

In fact, these are the four I would recommend you start with:

Races: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw
Backgrounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtaC2Tz79U
Classes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM
Exporting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9f_XBY3ncU

There are probably a few more videos in there that would be useful but I think the above four will get you 85% of the way.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Ramlyns
May 31st, 2020, 04:24
Thanks very much NotRussellCrowe. I shall begin my labour of love creating the necessary content. By the way, I loaded the extension in Unity and so far as I can tell the skills, corruption saves, shadow point tracking and check boxes for Miserable and Madness all work fine in Unity.

NotRussellCrowe
May 31st, 2020, 18:25
Thanks very much NotRussellCrowe. I shall begin my labour of love creating the necessary content. By the way, I loaded the extension in Unity and so far as I can tell the skills, corruption saves, shadow point tracking and check boxes for Miserable and Madness all work fine in Unity.

Hey well that's fantastic news!

Good luck in entering everything. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

Happy gaming!

Frostrazor1334
August 8th, 2020, 22:44
Hey gang. Huge fan of The One Ring RPG. Transitioning to AiME as this seems more available on FG.

I have the two files (mods, extension) suggested in the threads that we'll need. I see the character sheet is updated with AiME data (e.g. corruption) and I see the few new/different skills.

It appears having read this thread (in entirety) the data for player/Loremaster use is NOT available on any FG related server for sharing? In other words, I will have to "copy" all the current classes and edit them to AiME info and same for Cultures (aka Races) and will have to do same for Virtues (aka Feats). ??
My understanding at this point is that these are not available publicly?

Luckily I know enough FG to be able to do this sloppily at least, but not looking forward to, and i'm no ace at it (yet) for sure.

Any other tips you have for trying to run AiME (5E) set on FG, would be appreciated. I have a group of 5 players and we're looking forward to making characters now, but I need the info in my host FG first.

NotRussellCrowe
August 8th, 2020, 23:27
Hey gang. Huge fan of The One Ring RPG. Transitioning to AiME as this seems more available on FG.

I have the two files (mods, extension) suggested in the threads that we'll need. I see the character sheet is updated with AiME data (e.g. corruption) and I see the few new/different skills.

It appears having read this thread (in entirety) the data for player/Loremaster use is NOT available on any FG related server for sharing? In other words, I will have to "copy" all the current classes and edit them to AiME info and same for Cultures (aka Races) and will have to do same for Virtues (aka Feats). ??
My understanding at this point is that these are not available publicly?

Luckily I know enough FG to be able to do this sloppily at least, but not looking forward to, and i'm no ace at it (yet) for sure.

Any other tips you have for trying to run AiME (5E) set on FG, would be appreciated. I have a group of 5 players and we're looking forward to making characters now, but I need the info in my host FG first.

Hi, Frostrazor1334!

My only advice is to watch the following videos on creating backgrounds, races, and classes. Then watch the one on how to export modules. This should give you all you need to get going.

Backgrounds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtaC2Tz79U)
Races (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw)
Classes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM)
Exporting a Module (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9f_XBY3ncU&t=1s)

Happy gaming!

Frostrazor1334
August 9th, 2020, 00:37
Hi, Frostrazor1334!

My only advice is to watch the following videos on creating backgrounds, races, and classes. Then watch the one on how to export modules. This should give you all you need to get going.

Backgrounds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtaC2Tz79U)
Races (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw)
Classes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV0vH1eeUZM)
Exporting a Module (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9f_XBY3ncU&t=1s)

Happy gaming!

Yes thank you for responding. I've seen these and I already know how to do the basics on that having run Savage World modules.

It does not actually answer my question though - i'm trying to determine if these data sets are already in existence out there to import to my FG? And as far as "modules" (which I think is synonymous with printed/published adventures) go, there are no AiME modules on FG that I am aware of.

damned
August 9th, 2020, 01:11
Any data sets that exist cannot be shared for copyright reasons.

Frostrazor1334
August 9th, 2020, 03:47
Any data sets that exist cannot be shared for copyright reasons.

Gotcha. Right. Good official response.

:bandit:

bayne7400
November 16th, 2020, 22:28

Collumbus or NotRusselCrowe I tried to pick apart your files and figure out how you linked the skills on the character sheet to the extension and 5e SRD (I guess this is default). I have put in the players guide into FG and I'm trying to just link the skills from there. Just a way to make it cleaner without all that SRD data in there. Thank you sir!

NotRussellCrowe
November 16th, 2020, 23:56
Fantastic! While not necessary, it is always nice to have all the reference material in FG.

bayne7400
November 16th, 2020, 23:58
Lol I forgot the question mark! Which line in the xml file references the 5e are data and extension?

NotRussellCrowe
November 17th, 2020, 00:04
Not quite sure to be honest. I didn't do anything special about the skills so hopefully someone else that's in the know can offer some advice. You may also have better success posting in the developer forum.

kronovan
November 19th, 2020, 05:10
Oh no and oh well! :p Somehow I missed this thread when I got the itch to run an AiME campaign for my sons a friends. So I created my own extension. All I did for my extension was change "Races" to "Cultures" and "Feats" to "Virtues" in any XML string file I could find in the D&D 5e ruleset. I then added the new Skills and the Cultures, Classes Virtues, Backgrounds and Equipment under "Adventures in Middle Earth" groups - sheesh I even copy & pasted the entire bestiary from my Loremasters Guide and the complete set of regional PDFs. I then exported all that to a custom module. Meanwhile, I just had players track their current Shadow attribute and Corruption save in the notes. It seemed to work without any issues, but it was just a mini campaign with a few adventures.

Is there any additional things I should have done for my extension? Or I guess what I should really ask, is if this extension adds the Shadow attribute and Corruption save to the character sheet?

bayne7400
November 19th, 2020, 13:23
All of that data you put in export it as a module. If you did your campaign in the same table you may need to.clean it up before export. You can use that .mod file to run a aime game whenever you want. There is an extension and a mod. Using both fixes the character sheet.

mech_romancer
December 1st, 2020, 11:57
Any idea if this will be updated to Unity? I have a hankering to dump some players into the black pit and id love to use lighting and LOS in Unity for the atmosphere.

NotRussellCrowe
December 1st, 2020, 12:00
Hi, mech_romancer.

I don't have time to tackle this right now. Have you tried using it in Unity? Perhaps it works good enough?

mech_romancer
December 1st, 2020, 12:08
I havent moved over to Unity but I was planning on it for this game system haha. I read somewhere that it doesnt work at all, perhaps further back in this thread. Thanks for the quick reply!!

damned
December 1st, 2020, 12:09
I dont think there is anything likely to not work in Unity

mech_romancer
December 1st, 2020, 12:10
In that case I'll give it a try myself.

bayne7400
December 1st, 2020, 13:16
I use it for my biweekly unity campaign just fine.

mech_romancer
December 1st, 2020, 13:57
Thanks for the confirmation!

FSHSchmo
December 27th, 2020, 17:08
So I am starting my Middle-Earth game this evening after building out the Players Guide, Loremasters Guide, and Bree-land Region Guide and overlooked one thing... a calendar for Middle-Earth. Has anybody created one they would be willing to share?

kerrigaj
December 28th, 2020, 00:30
So I am starting my Middle-Earth game this evening after building out the Players Guide, Loremasters Guide, and Bree-land Region Guide and overlooked one thing... a calendar for Middle-Earth. Has anybody created one they would be willing to share?

There's a Shire Reckoning calendar I use at this link.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38314-Adventures-in-Middle-Earth-Calendar

Valarian
December 28th, 2020, 09:49
You can pretty much use the default calendar. The days and the months are the same, and the year can be added as the appropriate year of the Third Age. It's not the same as using the specific names, but does the job.

bayne7400
February 27th, 2021, 14:30
The corruption save roll is broken after last update. I am going to see if I can fix it this next week. I think I can do it! If I am successful I'll share it. Last week has been nuts.

daddystabz
February 27th, 2021, 20:18
Is there an extension for this game anywhere available? I haven't seen one.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2021, 22:17
Is there an extension for this game anywhere available? I haven't seen one.
See the usual place - the first post in the thread.

bayne7400
March 14th, 2021, 18:08
See the usual place - the first post in the thread.

The latest update actually broke the extension but alas I have fixed. I have been so busy I wanted to be able to dedicate the time and the fix took me literally 2 minutes. lol

https://github.com/bayne7400/AIME-EXT

kronovan
March 15th, 2021, 21:36
This may not be the right thread to post this, but it is for a campaign using this extension. I have a custom module in which I've created all of the cultures, Virtues and backgrounds from AiME. Something I've noticed though, is that the ability increases for the cultures don't work when using the PC creation wizard. They work perfectly fine when building a PC using the traditional technique of dragging & dropping the culture onto a PC sheet. I don't mind having my players build PCs the traditional way, as I've run a couple of 5e campaigns before the wizard was available so I'm well versed in coaching players through t.

I'm wondering though, if this is a known issue and something to be expected?
And...if not, what do I need to do to get my cultures working properly? I've checked the text listing for my cultural/racial abilities and the text is identical in format and spelling to the racial ability entries for the 5e PHB races.

bayne7400
March 15th, 2021, 21:38
Yeah the wizard won't work. AIME is not supported so that's why we use extensions. The wizard has its own xml files and scripts in the ruleset. You could make an extension for this.

I did the same thing you did btw. The updated ext will fix your corruption save rolls.

kronovan
March 15th, 2021, 21:40
OK cool bayne, thanks for letting me know. As I said I'm fine with having my players drag & drop to build, as it's really quite simple and I haven't had any players struggle with it.

[edit] BTW Before discovering this AiME extension, I'd created my own that relabeled races and feats to cultures and virtues, but was missing the the corruption, shadow, miserable and madness options on the PC sheet. This is a big step up and I really appreciated the effort you and anyone else has put into this extension. It's also really nice that all the work I put into my custom module is compatible with this extension. :D

kronovan
March 23rd, 2021, 17:47
I have a question for NotRussellCrowe or bayne7400.

I've implemented something similar to Adventures in Middle Earth's Shadow for Kobold Presses' Midgard World setting. Instead of "Shadow" I use the word "Gloom", because in that setting a corrupting force called Hungry Gloom can invade the world of Midgard from the Shadow Realm, resulting in various forms of corruption. As well, instead of "Corruption" I have "Faith" saves, as the Goddesses and Gods of Midgard commonly dabble and plot among the lives of mortals. Those deities masquerade, befriend, love and even war among themselves; especially the God and Goddess of the Shadow Realm. So a hero reaffirming their faith in a God(s) or Goddess(es) they've sworn/avowed to, is the action that would allow them to throw off corruption.

So my questions are;

If I were to use this Adventures in Middle Earth extension for my Midgard campaign, which string or script file would I need edit to change the COR label on the character sheet to FAITH and SHA to GLOOM?
Could I use more than 3 characters for my new labels; i.e. "FAITH" and "GLOOM"?

Any help with finding a way for me to use this extension for my Midgard World campaign, would be much appreciated.

bayne7400
March 23rd, 2021, 18:53
When do you need it buy? PM me your discord name and Ill change it for you.

kronovan
March 23rd, 2021, 19:05
Many thanks for the reply bayne and offering to do the edits - PM has been sent. I'm running a session for my campaign today at 7 pm PST, but that's very short notice. If you can make the edits sometime between now and next Monday, that would be terrific.

bayne7400
March 23rd, 2021, 19:25
Ok going to have to move somethings around to make it all fit and to return "faith" save

bayne7400
March 23rd, 2021, 19:38

All done. Ill just put it on github for you. It was a little more than changing the strings.

kronovan
March 24th, 2021, 00:00
Once again bayne, a big thanks for doing this for me! :D

This is awesome - I have it loaded now and the Faith and Gloom text looks good and the character sheet layout and text box positions are perfect. I copied my players PC's current gloom level from notes to the Gloom box and it's SO much easier to read now!

One thing that's a bit odd, is that 2 of the PC's are getting an additional +3 bonus to their Faith saves. It almost seems like their proficiency bonus is getting added, as the party is currently at levels 5-7. It's hard to put my finger on what's different for those 2? One is a Warlock 4/Bard 3 and the other a Paladin 5, as that player has taken a temporary leave from our campaign for the past 2 levels. Unlike the rest of the party both have the Religion skill, but it make no sense that it could be a factor? It's not a big deal, because that one active player can just make Wisdom saves instead.

Of course another difference from an AiME PC, is that none of my players had Lore, Riddles, Shadow Lore or the Tradition skills available when they built their PCs, as those skills aren't part of the Midgard rules. As I added those 4 skills for the AiME extension I created, I know how to remove them and will do so.

bayne7400
March 24th, 2021, 01:26
So wisdom will effect the save roll also any effects like SAVE:#. No skills will effect the save. I'll take a look at it. Prof is not getting added on my side. Make a dummy character and see what happens. Level it to 8.

SAVE:4 faith does work as an effect BTW.

kronovan
March 24th, 2021, 02:51
OK bayne, cool. I'll build an 8th level PC for a test, as soon as tonight's session has concluded.

bayne7400
March 24th, 2021, 13:00
Maybe remake the warlock/bard. Check the roll after each level up. For the character in question what number is displayed in the faith box that has the roller? It should exactly match what is in the wisdom saving throw.

mech_romancer
June 8th, 2021, 13:44
Hey Bayne, Do you know if the corruption roll can have advantage applied via ADVCHK etc?

bayne7400
June 8th, 2021, 13:57
It sure can. Use ADVSAV:corruption.

jarkkiharkki
July 31st, 2022, 21:01
hi Bayne! I think one of the updates broke this extension? When i try to use it, everything works like normal (corruption, shadow etc. shows like they use to), except that when i try to place a NPC token to the map, the scale of it is huge! When for example i place medium NPC to a map, its suppose to take one square. Instead, it takes 3x3 squares...

thanks for advance!

bayne7400
July 31st, 2022, 21:17
EDIT: Nevermind I see it. Give me 5 minutes Ill update github for you

bayne7400
July 31st, 2022, 21:28
Updated . There was an issue with the die roller too. Means nobody has used this for several months lol.

jarkkiharkki
August 1st, 2022, 07:30
works again, thank you! I use shadow system in my current campaing, so this makes following it so much easier :) Never used the dice roller, so didn't notice anything on that part

rathen45
September 27th, 2022, 18:58
Hey, as Cubicle 7 has lost the license for LOTR does that mean that there can be free distribution of the content? I'm trying to build my own library but if I can mooch off someone else all the better.

Myrdin Potter
September 27th, 2022, 19:06
Hey, as Cubicle 7 has lost the license for LOTR does that mean that there can be free distribution of the content? I'm trying to build my own library but if I can mooch off someone else all the better.

Not unless they give permission. They still own the copyright and the LoTR rights are now assigned to a different company so they probably cannot give it.

damned
September 27th, 2022, 23:05

That is not how things work.

Cubicle 7 can no longer release new stuff and may not be able to sell existing stuff anymore. Its still all copyright.

Eldarc
October 28th, 2022, 18:32
I've not tried bayne's AiME ruleset version, but long ago I modified the original one with some interface tweaks to make it more "Middle-Earthy" (recycling a Damned's Curse of Strahd skin believe it or not :D). Now, I've fixed it to make it work again with FGU current version. If you're already playing an AiME campaign, please make a backup copy before trying this version.

I hope you like it and please tell me if you experience any bug. Thank you

Eldarc

bayne7400
October 28th, 2022, 18:55
Nice! I hand over AIME extension upkeep to you my friend! Great theme

Eldarc
October 28th, 2022, 22:13
Thank you bayne. I put some hours and love back in the day. Nothing special but your son is always the most beautiful! :)

I upload another version with some minor changes. The included font doesn't have neither italic nor bold italic font. If they're imporant to you, you should use another font. This one is the same one, or very close to the one that's used in AiME books.

If I figure out how to edit the sidebar style (it doesn't quite match my theme), I might upload a newer version someday.

bayne7400
October 28th, 2022, 23:41
Try

sidebar_dock_entry.png

I think shortcut.png is the other