PDA

View Full Version : Gurps rules question. Shotguns RoF / Pellets

Valekk
March 8th, 2017, 20:59
I haven't done much in a modern GURPs in years. I am finding one thing very confusing. Shotgun ROF / Pellets.

So lets assume Bob is usually a shotgun with 16 skill....(Ignoring range mods and what not for now)
Pump Shotgun, 12G
Damage: 1d+1 pi, Range: 50/125, RoF: 2x9, Reload: 5(3i), Rcl: 1

So if he shoots 1 shell off with a 16 roll, he connects with 1 pellet? 15 - 2 pellets? and onward?
and if he uses the full ROF and fires off 2 shells? Besides for the bonus to hit with faster RoF guns is there a point with a shot gun? If it is 1 extra pellet per pt you beat your skill by you will need a to beat it by 10 to factor in the 2nd pellet.

Litvyak
March 8th, 2017, 21:35
The ROF bonus is really the main benefit of firing more than one shot. The additional +2 to hit means connecting with the same number of pellets at ~2x the range, or hitting with two extra pellets at the same range (or, of course, connecting with a pellet or two when you otherwise would have missed).

Valekk
March 8th, 2017, 21:41
Thanks Litvyak. This helped a lot.

Gigermann
March 9th, 2017, 04:56
There's an optional rule in Tactical Shooting. The basics are that at 10% of ½D range, you can just apply half the total dice damage as a single attack (with DR also multiplied to compensate).

Litvyak
March 9th, 2017, 06:22
There's an optional rule in Tactical Shooting. The basics are that at 10% of ½D range, you can just apply half the total dice damage as a single attack (with DR also multiplied to compensate).

The rule is actually in the Basic Set (B409).

Gigermann
March 9th, 2017, 14:54
The rule is actually in the Basic Set (B409).Still amazes me that after 20 years, I still find things in there I never noticed before :P

Valekk
March 10th, 2017, 12:38
I was reading that in the basic rule book as well.
That's the thing about GURPS Gigermann, there is just SO much information spread over so many books.

Continued question if you guys can assist, using the same 12G Pump Shotgun as in the opening post.
The Max RoF is 2, which actually benefit from ROF bonus from what I can tell. Going by Rapid Fire (B.373) you need at least 5-8 shots to get +1. 9-12 being +2.
The shotguns say that "When resolving the attack, however, multiply shots fired by the second number to get the effective RoF", so If I shot 1 shell (9 Pellets) at a target does it count as +2 attack? With 2 shots (18 pellets) being +4?

Andraax
March 10th, 2017, 13:01
The shotguns say that "When resolving the attack, however, multiply shots fired by the second number to get the effective RoF", so If I shot 1 shell (9 Pellets) at a target does it count as +2 attack? With 2 shots (18 pellets) being +4?

Yes.

Valekk
March 10th, 2017, 13:02
Perfect, thanks!