PDA

View Full Version : Offline Session / LAN Party

malevs
March 8th, 2017, 17:10
I'm going to run CoS for a party of 4 players soon. Want to kick it off as an offline session where everyone brings his Laptop and connects via my Wifi. I have Ultimate and they will all be using Demo versions. Anything technical I need to know before? I totally suck with anything remotely network-connected and don't want to waste the first 3 hours figuring stuff out. Thanks in advance :)

Nylanfs
March 8th, 2017, 17:17
Welcome to the forums and FG community!

If they don't have any internet connection it will cause problem upon connecting to your game, each demo session will need to query the FG servers to make sure that your license is valid. As long as you have internet access over your network they will be fine, if there is little or no access, what I would suggest is hook up your cellphone to the network and hotspot or tether it to your computer for initial connection verification then disconnect the phone.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2017, 17:24
... if there is little or no access, what I would suggest is hook up your cellphone to the network and hotspot or tether it to your computer for initial connection verification then disconnect the phone.
Good idea, but unfortunately that won't work as you'll need to connect to the GMs Internet address using the hotspot (to allow briefly reaching the SmiteWorks server for Ultimate license verification), but then their internal IP address to game without the Internet.

@malevs - As long as you can give the players brief Internet connectivity when first joingin your GM session it will be fine. The players should connect using the GM's internal IP address - not the FG alias nor the external IP address. This will keep all Player -> GM communications on your LAN.

malevs
March 8th, 2017, 21:34
Internet won't be an issue of we play at my apartment. But I considered a remote house a friend has in the woods, for the atmosphere and everything :) Do I understand it correctly that I only need a short amount of time to verify the Ultimate License and can cut the internet after that? So... everyone joins Fritzbox Wifi (which won't have internet if we go to the house) and then I use my phone, log in to the servers to verify and then everyone can join and we play LAN mode?

Trenloe
March 8th, 2017, 21:40
Do I understand it correctly that I only need a short amount of time to verify the Ultimate License and can cut the internet after that?
It is not the GM that needs Internet. Each demo license needs brief Internet connectivity just after they connect to the Ultimate GM (very soon after clicking the "Join Game" button). So, as I mentioned above, the players will need to have a local IP address but also have Internet connectivity - so the Internet connection will need to be through the local router/WiFi so that they maintain their local connection to the GM, even if the Internet routing goes away but the local network needs to remain.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2017, 21:42
This is only an issue with demo players. If you could convince each player to take out a Standard subscription ($3.99) for one month, then there's no need for an Internet connection at all.

malevs
March 9th, 2017, 09:40
Ah alright, thanks for the clarification :) Then I'll try to convince them, wish me luck!