PDA

View Full Version : Forged Item Creation Help

Ramtrap
March 7th, 2017, 03:13
I'm going to start a 5e campaign this weekend and I want to add some custom items, but I'm at a loss when it comes to creating forged items. In the interest of keeping this vague in case one of them reads this, would someone mind if I pick your brain in a PM?

Note: I know how to create forged items in the traditional means (item + template magic item), but what I want is kind of non-traditional, or at least I don't see anything in the available modules that can do exactly what I want to do, and I'd rather a pro help me out rather than do something that's 'good enough' if you know what I mean :)

Please feel free to PM me or post here and I'll PM you. Thank you!

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2017, 04:26
I would just create the item record directly, instead of combining the items in the forge. The forge is useful for combining features of existing items, but you can create anything you want manually.

Regards,
JPG

Ramtrap
March 7th, 2017, 04:40
That's what I was thinking may need to happen. I've just been so spoiled by all the other cool stuff FG can do. I essentially want to create an item that is cursed and gives off an effect/condition upon wielding the item. Making it manually is obviously the easy solution but I was wondering if it's at all possible to essentially 'code in' the exact kind of effect I want, other than what's available with the magic item templates. Does that make sense?

And thank you!

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2017, 09:12
As Moon Wizard says you can create the item. Also consider creating an item Template. Then you can use that to combine with any other item. For example you could create a cursed weapon which would then be available to combine with any weapon type. For an example of this kind of thing look at the templates in the DMG for 'Defender' or 'Weapon of Warning'. But this may be too much work for just a one off item.