PDA

View Full Version : Preserving format from player notes to GM story.

seycyrus
March 5th, 2017, 23:35
Greetings.

I'd like for a player to create a note and format it in a certain fashion, using Body Chat, Heading, Lists etc.. I'd then like for the player to share the note with me, and copy/paste it as a Story entry. When I do this, I lose the formatting. Is there a way to preserve it?

damned
March 5th, 2017, 23:42
Greetings.

I'd like for a player to create a note and format it in a certain fashion, using Body Chat, Heading, Lists etc.. I'd then like for the player to share the note with me, and copy/paste it as a Story entry. When I do this, I lose the formatting. Is there a way to preserve it?

Not within FG.
You would have to do it post game by editing the XML directly.

Hector Trelane
March 5th, 2017, 23:43
not in the current build, i've been told.

i agree this kind of thing would be useful

seycyrus
March 5th, 2017, 23:53
Not within FG.
You would have to do it post game by editing the XML directly.

Sorry if I am being obtuse. If the player shares the note with me, and I open up my db.xml, do I see the note with the proper xml tags on it according to the formatting?

I'd be able to copy this over to a story entry, with the proper tags, to get a story entry properly formatted?

damned
March 5th, 2017, 23:58
Sorry if I am being obtuse. If the player shares the note with me, and I open up my db.xml, do I see the note with the proper xml tags on it according to the formatting?

I'd be able to copy this over to a story entry, with the proper tags, to get a story entry properly formatted?

Try it.
I believe teh answer is yes.

Trenloe
March 6th, 2017, 00:12
The players doesn't need to share the note with the GM. All campaign data is stored in the campaign db.xml file.

Create some container story entries (these will be stored in <encounter> in the database - I know, it's not an encounter, but this is legacy naming) and then exit FG (don't edit db.xml with FG running). Make a backup copy of db.xml and then open it in a text editor with XML highlighting (to make it easier). Find the <notes> sections you want and copy over the data contained in <formattedtext> to the story entries. Save and load up FG.

Hector Trelane
March 7th, 2017, 23:33
The players doesn't need to share the note with the GM. All campaign data is stored in the campaign db.xml file.

Create some container story entries (these will be stored in <encounter> in the database - I know, it's not an encounter, but this is legacy naming) and then exit FG (don't edit db.xml with FG running). Make a backup copy of db.xml and then open it in a text editor with XML highlighting (to make it easier). Find the <notes> sections you want and copy over the data contained in <formattedtext> to the story entries. Save and load up FG.

This is very much in the spirit of Scotty re-routing the power :)