PDA

View Full Version : Squaring Up Maps Properly

JHale1966
March 4th, 2017, 15:05
I have a couple of maps that are driving me crazy... They are extracted from a PDF and already have gridlines printed on them.

No matter how much I adjust the grid layer, it's fine for part of the map and then starts to 'drift'. When I check the squares in photoshop, they're perfectly square so I don't know what's happening between saving them out of PS and loading them into FG.

Is there some process you guys use to alleviate this drift?

Thanks!

pindercarl
March 4th, 2017, 16:49
If the map is in a published module, is likely that it was scaled down from larger artwork. If the artwork was scaled, say 67%, then a 50 pixel grid would be 33.5 pixels. It's still square, but the grid would not align with the pixels, but rather pixel boundaries. Scaling the source art in Photoshop would fix this. I would recommend overlaying a uniform grid in Photoshop and see if the same drift occurs.

Trenloe
March 4th, 2017, 17:01
This very, very handy tool might help get the map resized appropriately. It's written specifically with this type of issue in mind: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19813-Map-Align-Utility-to-scale-and-align-map-to-grid

JHale1966
March 4th, 2017, 23:21
Perfecto!

Thanks ya'll. :)

damned
March 5th, 2017, 00:41
Also sometimes they have grids that vary across the map. there is a grid tool in the images header 9once unlocked) and every now and again you can use the nudge tools to realign the map in the area the party currently find themselves.