PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Focus and Component pouch

Tibius
March 3rd, 2017, 18:56
HI, I was reading the 5e rules and it states a arcane focus can take the place of materials needed to cast a spell.. so what good is the component pouch at 25 gp when you can buy an arcane focus staff for 5gp ?

I was contemplating putting a finite use on component pouches for spell materials at maybe 20 uses or more.. to simulate running out of spell materials.. but if all you need is an arcane focus .. why have materials at all ?

Nickademus
March 3rd, 2017, 19:11
Some people just like to play with bat guano...

viresanimi
March 3rd, 2017, 20:19
... and some thinks bat guano is the most idiotic thing in fantasy roleplaying. Care to guess what camp I fall in?

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2017, 22:23
Yes, it's very much up to you as the DM which route you want to take. The use of an Arcane focus or a spell pouch are options which you can choose (or choose to ignore). As the two (cynical) replies above have shown it's a question of each to their own. If you like to add complexity and insist that your players actually have the ingredients with which to cast their spells then go down the pouch route. If you don't want that then go down the arcane focus route - or simply ignore both and let them cast their spells regardless. It's up to you.

Nickademus
March 4th, 2017, 00:15
There was some specific that I don't recall at the moment. Something about the focus takes up a hand while the component pouch only requires a free hand during casting. Technically, pulling out a focus requires the 'Use an Object' action (which you get one free per round), while pulling out components from a pouch is part of casting. So there might be a benefit to action economy is some rare instances for the pouch over the focus, but that is assuming your DM even keeps track of those things. Likewise, the focus never needs to be refilled. So a caster in the wilds might have trouble keeping the pouch full of ingredients, assuming again the DM puts such limitations on component restocking.

Each has minor pro and cons.

Tibius
March 4th, 2017, 01:26
ok Thanks Zacchaeus and Nickademus.. appreciate the post back on this... my thinking was if I keep track of expendable ammo such as arrows etc. Then the spellcasters should be on an even keel.. and use up their materials in the spell pouch as well.. They can roll to forage for new materials and loot creatures they kill to replenish if needed..

I wasn't sure what the bat guano was for but... Im sure someone will find a use for it .. lol

Nickademus
March 4th, 2017, 05:14
I wasn't sure what the bat guano was for but... Im sure someone will find a use for it .. lol

I'm sure many arcane casters will enjoy some bat guano (https://www.5esrd.com/spellcasting/all-spells/f/fireball/).

Tibius
March 4th, 2017, 09:45
Well I stand corrected .. going to harvest some now !

Atua
March 6th, 2017, 04:11
Another minor benefit of the component pouch, if you multiclass two spellcaster classes, you don't need a focus for each class, just one component pouch.

Trenloe
March 6th, 2017, 04:29
... and some thinks bat guano is the most idiotic thing in fantasy roleplaying.
Oh come on! There are plenty of thing in fantasy RPGs that are way more idiotic than bat guano.

This, for one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224492525/ponyfinder-dawn-of-the-fifth-age ;)

I wonder what spell horse manure is the component for?!? :D

Tibius
March 6th, 2017, 05:43
Oh come on! There are plenty of thing in fantasy RPGs that are way more idiotic than bat guano.

This, for one: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224492525/ponyfinder-dawn-of-the-fifth-age ;)

I wonder what spell horse manure is the component for?!? :D

I looked at it and it hurt my head .. trying to figure out just what it was...so I quickly closed the page out and decided its best I forget all about it... but my vote was yes that was pretty idiotic for fantasy rpg .. (IMO) way more than bat guano for a spell component ..

Mavrik6666
March 6th, 2017, 10:26
we do the same

Focus - is used like a weapon, pulled out as part of the action of spell casting, but then its in your hand - you have to put it away when finished, and that's like sheathing a weapon - something for next round

Components Bag - number of spell uses - 20 - but has to be refilled in a town or city, or replaced again in a town or city
Advantage is, you use it as part of the casting, and have nothing in your hand - it all depend on how much you play the issue of items in hand.

We allow looting of dead spell casters to yield some uses, but we don't get hung up on the
content :) like do you have any bat guano, more on the number of uses in general

The focus is designed for - 'dont worry to much about that playing style'