PDA

View Full Version : Okay new questions about using a map you set the grid for and how it looks.

Pandar
March 1st, 2017, 19:09
Okay, I have been doing my homework adding extensions to my FG program to make it better when I start running my home-brew campaign and adding maps/ tokens/ portraits/ etc. I added some maps recently and when I set the grid for the maps (using the layers extension) the grid lines are thicker than normal then when I set them on maps already stored from FG. Does that mean I need to re-edit the pictures in a photo program? The images are jpeg format by the way.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2017, 19:17
So, are you talking about the grid lines added by FG when you add an FG grid overlay to a map/image? Or are you talking about the grid that it part of the actual image itself?

If you can, using a map without a built in grid is preferred and then just using the FG grid overlay.

As for the FG grid line width, I don't think there is a way to control it's width without an extension. If your map is 10 pixels per foot (50 pixel squares) the grid width should be good, but if you are using resolutions much higher or lower than this you might not have a good looking grid. (I don't remember how it is created/defined.)

If you haven't already, make sure you check out the module best practices; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Pandar
March 2nd, 2017, 02:42
It is when I am setting the grid, the image has no grid originally and I am then setting the grid through FG and the lines look wider than when I set the grid on any of the FG map images already supplied, the images I have put in are all under 1 mb it might just be the pixels size maybe as I don't have the greatest photo program and I am not sure how to find the pixel sixe in the images themselves. I will also refer to the article about best practices when creating modules.

damned
March 2nd, 2017, 04:19
Hi Pandar the FG grid is always exactly 1px regardless of what zoom you do on your map.
If your grid lines appear to get wider they are probably on the image itself...

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2017, 06:11
@Pandar - if the above answers haven't helped, please post a screenshot of your issue.

Pandar
March 2nd, 2017, 12:02
Think I may have figured out what I have been doing wrong! I think I've been saving my images in too small of a file and when I went to put the grid on the image it was showing up as thicker lines because of the size of the image. I started adjusting the grid size with the grid larger/smaller tool on the image and when I went larger the grid thickness went smaller making the image easier to see without disrupting the image then. I will play around with it some more and see if I am right or not, will post more if I am wrong.

Pandar
March 2nd, 2017, 12:14
Yep, that is what it was!! After kicking myself I was saving the images in too small of jpeg format like 500 x 500, instead of going larger I was going smaller when saving the image and it was causing the thicker grid lines. After adjusting the above image to 1000 X 1000 everything looks fine as if it was a image from FG pre-loaded in the program.

Thanks again for the help everyone :)

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2017, 13:24
Glad you figured it out.

Typically the suggestion is for 50 pixels per square (i.e. 10 pixels per foot). With the caveats of keeping total pixels under 2048 x 2048 and file size under 1 MB.

Bidmaron
March 2nd, 2017, 15:55
This is another example of a problem that will be solved by Unity and why it is important not to waste development time on character generation for Pathfinder. That is all I play, so don't think I am saying that because I don't like Pathfinder. Just imagine all the time these boards and smite works would save if we cut down all the graphic questions and connect questions by even a mere 50% with Unity.

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2017, 16:10
This is another example of a problem that will be solved by Unity and why it is important not to waste development time on character generation for Pathfinder. That is all I play, so don't think I am saying that because I don't like Pathfinder. Just imagine all the time these boards and smite works would save if we cut down all the graphic questions and connect questions by even a mere 50% with Unity.
Huh?

This issue was the map was too small for VTT use. How will Unity solve that?

And please don't just look for vague excuses to jump on someone's thread and push your current problems with the direction of Pathfinder development. Keep that for the relevant threads. Thanks.

Bidmaron
March 2nd, 2017, 17:33
Sorry. You caught me red-handed!