PDA

View Full Version : 5 Players Looking for 5e DM with Flexible Schedule

rabbit0488
February 28th, 2017, 22:37
Hey! First off, thanks for reading!

So here's the situation, there are about 5 (maybe 6) of us looking to dive into a game of 5e. We are also VERY new to Fantasy Grounds (only currently have demo version), but have used roll20 for almost a year now.

As far as gaming experience, a few of us have been playing D&D since there was THAC0, but we are new to 5e. Most of us have been playing 3.5 for over 6 years (my brother is the DM). I have been playing 5e for a few months now at Adventure League and and am on episode 68 of Critical Role (which uses 5e).

Since we're relatively new to 5e and fantasy grounds, we thought it might be nice to start from the beginning with an able-minded DM who could meet out chaotic schedule and have some fun with us as we learn the rules. Plus we thought it would be nice to FINALLY give my brother a rest and play with him by our side for once. Though we are new to FG and 5e, we have been RPGing for some time now and will be quick to pick up the rules and easy to get along with.

As I mentioned, our schedules are kinda random. Sometimes weeknights, sometimes weekends. I'm a traveling nurse who does night shift, three of us are married, and, between the five of us, there are 2 different time zones (PST & EST). So, things can be a little chaotic. The nice thing is, we usually know our schedules at least a month in advance. On average, we'd probably be looking at 3 sessions a month. Hopefully once a week, but life does get in the way. As far as a usual time, we generally don't start until 8pm EST if it's on a weekday, but might be able to start earlier on weekends.

ANYWAYS, a lotta info on this post and I know the request is rather daunting, given all of the scheduling factors. But thought I would throw it out in to the Universe and see if anything came of it. If this doesn't work, we're in the same boat we started in. I appreciate you taking the time to read all of this!

damned
February 28th, 2017, 23:17
welcome rabbit0488
it sounds like you have a dedicated group of players - have you thought about perhaps rotating the GM - each person in their turn runs something ranging from a one shot up to a published module depending on how they feel.

rabbit0488
February 28th, 2017, 23:39
hey damned!

ya know, we've never tried that, but maybe we'll give it a go if we end up not being able to find a DM! always been intimidated by DMing, but i'm sure it's loads of fun once you get it down!

damned
February 28th, 2017, 23:49
Sometimes you will get lucky with a request like this but often not. If the GM role is intimidating (and it is for a lot of people - at least at first) grab a pre-made adventure for low level characters and try that - the pre-made stuff here really takes a lot of the leg work out of things for the GM. And that way you are only GM for maybe one or two sessions but of everyone does that (or something longer like the excellent Lost Mines of Phandelver) your brother will get a good few months of playing and might be ready to take you on a longer story arc again.
And... as you suggest... you might like it :) One of the players in my group was itching to have a turn as GM - he had something short planned... he gave me the reins back about 15 months later!

Ferrin
March 1st, 2017, 01:40
One thing you can try, is going to https://www.alonlinetools.net and creating a game in the timeslot you guys want, then wait and see if one of the alonline GMs takes it up. Have all your players sign up right away, as most times slots go to signup order.

AL games let you keep your characters between GMs. And track your character progression through Adventure Logs. FG 5e character sheets even have a tab for these logs, and alonlinetools has a page for adventure logs as well. The current season is Storm King's Thunder, you would have to start with the Hardcover, or DDAL5-01. When you are listing the game for a GM to take up. Most AL DMs that run on alonlinetools have an Ultimate License. So that should not be a problem.

Genetex
March 1st, 2017, 02:02
I am looking to run a new long-term campaign open world. Weeknights late evening or mornings JST (Japan).
I can start 21:30 pm or 05:00-07:00 am JST
Shoot me a PM if this works for you.

Wazoodust
March 2nd, 2017, 07:29
Get in touch with me about this and what kind of things you'd like to do. I have a weird schedule too so it may work out. (Maybe I can get a couple one shots in to get you guts going). I'm EST time zone, so this has a chance. I'm mostly a dungeon crawl sort of DM and let the players dictate the amount of RP that gets introduced. And as was mentioned before, pick up the starter set and splurge for a license amongst your group. I got on here to play and have only been a player in about 3 sessions over the past 2 years, so the DM thing isn't to hard. Look around for som experienced players at FG Con/Daze and you'll get a much better idea of how FG works, a bit of a learning curve but after that it gets so much easier than pen and paper