PDA

View Full Version : 1 monitor to run FG ideas where to keep

Pandar
February 28th, 2017, 18:38
I currently have one monitor to run the FG game, I pretty much have almost everything I need and a second monitor is not something my wife would understand right now! :o So are there any ideas from users out there about how to display the icons/ combat tracker/ maps & etc. with just the one monitor?
Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Allmight
February 28th, 2017, 18:46
Maybe this can give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ne9bDmhSM&list=PLJGKJMlzabIm1vHqzq-axNlkbYuQyq8Bw&index=7

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 19:26
I think most of us run it with one monitor. I pretty much use the default placement of everything. Chat on the left, CT on the right, everything else in the middle. You can minimize various windows and they become icons/tokens on the desktop. You can then place those where you need.

You can also put DM maps or other things you use a lot into the hotkeys so they are easy to get to.

IMO, the big thing is just to limit the number of things you have open at any one time. I generally have a map, a story entry and the CT open at one time and everything else closed or minimized.

Not sure what my players do, but have never heard complaints and they all run one monitor.

Ferrin
March 1st, 2017, 01:23
I have two monitors, but they are different sizes. Which means I can't stretch across both, without it looking super funky. So I usually have FG up on my big screen, and use the second monitor for things like pdfs, rule searches, and evernote.

If I'm gettin two cluttered, I just minimize what I'm not using and keep the lil buttons all clustered around my hotbar. I keep my map windows small, and partially covering my chatbox. I really only need to see half the chatbox, as you can scroll it up. Then I have the CT right next to that. And I keep any stories open next to CT, and I stagger the tops and stack them so I can click through quickly. NPCs are almost always minimized unless I'm using them.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2017, 02:47
For a visual, I run 1920x1080 and here's a typical view when I'm running a game (without players connected, so no PC icons).

damned
March 1st, 2017, 05:45
Yeah with practice you get used to closing stuff once you have finished and using shortcut keys for quick access to stuff you use regularly. Thats what I do anyway...

Pandar
March 1st, 2017, 13:21
Thanks for the responses and the pictures, helps me out a lot. I kept seeing how everyone had two monitors and thought I must be one of the only people out there who uses just a single monitor. Glad to hear I am not.

:square:

Nylanfs
March 1st, 2017, 14:09
Life Goals (https://cdn1.techworld.com/cmsdata/slideshow/3335339/05_workstations_thumb800.jpg)

LindseyFan
March 1st, 2017, 15:20
Yeah with practice you get used to closing stuff once you have finished and using shortcut keys for quick access to stuff you use regularly. Thats what I do anyway...

That's what I wish I could remember to do with 3 monitors. :( I start opening windows because I have sone much empty space. The next thing you know I have a cluttered FG table that looks like my RL table! I will go to open something and it is already open... so I have to hunt through my "pile of papers" to find that one little nasty surprise for my players. So yeah, one monitor is much better for staying disciplined.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2017, 15:27
Life Goals (https://cdn1.techworld.com/cmsdata/slideshow/3335339/05_workstations_thumb800.jpg)
How'd you get a picture of my desk!?!?!?

That's what I wish I could remember to do with 3 monitors. :( I start opening windows because I have sone much empty space. The next thing you know I have a cluttered FG table that looks like my RL table! I will go to open something and it is already open... so I have to hunt through my "pile of papers" to find that one little nasty surprise for my players. So yeah, one monitor is much better for staying disciplined.
Boo hoo! We feel so sorry for you *G*

Gooberosity
March 1st, 2017, 15:30
Here's my answer to the 1 monitor setup ... :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O78DPS?ref=emc_b_5_t

One thing I've been doing is reducing the size of the chat window down to half its height, but keeping it in the same place, which gives me room to put the combat tracker on the top left of the screen. That then gives me more real estate for maps and the character sheet (if playing) or story / encounter info if running the table.

Gwydion
March 1st, 2017, 15:33
Scaleui is my friend! I run all of FG on my external monitor and have all other streaming applications, discord, etc. on my laptop. I scaleui to 85 and use the 14 pt font I modified from Trenloe's wonderful extension and I can read everything well and it works perfect for me.

Pandar
March 1st, 2017, 18:32
If I had monitor like that my wife would kill me Gooberosity!!:hurt: Once you start down that rabbit hole, divorce would be a matter of time then. So I will stick with my little 20 inch acer for now.

Pandar
March 1st, 2017, 18:40
To Gwydion

To Gwydion

To Gwydion: what exactly does the scaleui do for your FG game? You also adjust the font too then? this helps with the monitor and how your items chat window/maps/ are displayed on the program.

Pandar
March 1st, 2017, 18:49
ah ha, just found the scaleui and tried 85%, really need my reading glasses then, might try 90 and see what that is like, really appreciate the great advice from everyone.

Gooberosity
March 1st, 2017, 19:50
If I had monitor like that my wife would kill me Gooberosity!!:hurt: Once you start down that rabbit hole, divorce would be a matter of time then. So I will stick with my little 20 inch acer for now.

The trick is to get her one too. :)

Gwydion
March 1st, 2017, 20:32
ah ha, just found the scaleui and tried 85%, really need my reading glasses then, might try 90 and see what that is like, really appreciate the great advice from everyone.

Yes, try the scaleui at 85% with the attached font extension and see what you think. Hope you like it but certainly isn't for everyone!

Pandar
March 4th, 2017, 00:56
Thanks much Gwydion, that 14 pt clear font made a great difference!!

Trenloe
March 4th, 2017, 01:12
Just remember that the font will be automatically used on the player side as well - so you might want to educate then on using /scalegui to get a view they are comfortable with.

Gwydion
March 4th, 2017, 19:54
Just remember that the font will be automatically used on the player side as well - so you might want to educate then on using /scalegui to get a view they are comfortable with.

Yep. Very good pt.

Pandar
March 5th, 2017, 02:57
Thanks Trenloe, will make sure to look at screen from another computer before I start my game to see how it looks for other players then.

LordEntrails
March 5th, 2017, 03:56
Thanks Trenloe, will make sure to look at screen from another computer before I start my game to see how it looks for other players then.
No need to do it from another computer if you are on Windows. Just start a second instance and switch windows.

Pandar
March 5th, 2017, 04:15
Okay will do