PDA

View Full Version : Creating An Actions Library

JHale1966
February 28th, 2017, 11:07
Pathfinder Ruleset.

I have the PF Actions Module downloaded and see there's a ton of stuff in there. I'd like to create my own library where I can drag some of the actions over from the module and also add some of my own actions that I can apply to my characters (as well as the players). Do I have to create the actions on the character and then drag them over or how do I create the library itself?

Thanks!

Jim

Trenloe
February 28th, 2017, 14:38
Create the effects in the campaign effect window and then export to a module: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Library#Module_Export

JHale1966
February 28th, 2017, 15:46
I can't seem to drag the action to the character sheet. :/

Trenloe
February 28th, 2017, 17:45
I can't seem to drag the action to the character sheet. :/
Effects aren't setup for drag/drop to a character sheet - they are setup to drag/drop to a creature in the combat tracker. You'll need to manually create the effect action and then copy the text of the effect from the effects window.

Or, create them in a dummy PC. But this won't be in a library as such (you'd need to export the XML from one campaign and import into another) and only one player at a time can access a PC.

JHale1966
February 28th, 2017, 18:18
That's what I figured about effects. What about creating something along the lines of the PF Actions module?

Trenloe
February 28th, 2017, 22:20
That's what I figured about effects. What about creating something along the lines of the PF Actions module?
Actions have to be embedded in a "spell" on the PC actions tab. So the only place you can see them is in a PC spell.

You could create a library, but they would have to be stored as spells with the actions attached. You can't do this within the FG UI as the Pathfinder ruleset "Spells" campaign data list can't have actions added there. So you'll have to hand code this in XML. There is an example of a spells module with actions embedded here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24614-Farnaby-s-PFRPG-Spellbook

darrenan
February 28th, 2017, 22:21
This requires a deeper knowledge of creating modules directly by editing XML. If you go to the developer section of the wiki you can find more information about this.

This was my work flow for creating the actions module:

1. Create the actions in a dummy character sheet in FG. Each action is essentially a 'spell' on the actions tab. I would do these in chunks, for instance, code up a whole batch of class-specific features at once.
2. Close FG and open db.xml of the campaign containing the character from step 1 in notepad++ or other XML editor.
3. Find the spells you just created and copy them verbatim into the module's XML. Also create all the necessary links so the TOC and reference indices show up correctly when the module is loaded.
4. Zip up the actions module with the new XML file.

You can see that this is fairly labor intensive, which is why I haven't been doing any updates to this module in a while. I was in the middle of filling out the class features and got as far as Cleric I think (alphabetically) before I ran out of steam. It would almost be more useful to remove the class features from this module and put them into Nicodemus' class/race module. That would get us a little closer to 5e's drag/drop functionality.

I was hoping that the new spell export functionality introduced recently would make this a little easier, but it really doesn't. What you would really need is the ability to export spells from a character sheet after all the action buttons were added to the action 'spell'.