PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Painter Studio

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 04:01
I've been following pyromancers.com (https://pyromancers.com) in the Steam Store and it finally went to Early Access, and just out of curiosity I exported the map to see how well it imports into FG. While I haven't imported it yet, I did notice this when choosing how it exports.

Next up, import into FG.

I guess I should link the program as well. Heh. https://store.steampowered.com/app/592260

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 04:06
Here's the map inside DPS

So here's the map inside FG.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 04:11
Looks very cool. Use the "URealms" button for 50 pixels per 5 foot square. And remember to convert to JPG quality 50-75 after exporting as a .PNG. :)

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 04:36
I guess export as URealms for a better map size? And what is URealms? Are you talking about that whatever it is on YouTube?

When I did, it seems like it's stalling out or something. Not that it's of consequence here or anything.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 04:39
And what is URealms?
I don't know what it is. The option only appears to change the pixels per square. 50 pixels per square is usually better for FG, especially for maps bigger than 100 x 100 feet.

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 04:46
Ah. Ok. I was going to feel stupid if it was something I should've known about.

Ok, that's what I figured.

Well, I posted on the discussion boards about whatever is causing to not export. So, who knows. It's still Early Access, so I'm not to worried about the bugs off hand. I don't do many Early Access games and what not, but, I do tell people about pyromancers.com, as a pretty nifty map making website.

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 05:15
So I got this with a small map I created.

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:51: attempt to index global 'header' (a nil value)

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 06:03
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/imagewindow.lua"]:51: attempt to index global 'header' (a nil value)
This won't have anything to do with the base image (unless it has weird characters in the title). Are you running any extensions? Which ruleset?

damned
February 27th, 2017, 07:41
Cool I didnt realise the early access was available - its downloading now!

Zhern
February 27th, 2017, 13:53
Nice! Installing now too, remotely, for when I get home and hopefully remember/find time to look at it. I used the online app quite a bit and didn't even realize pyromancers had gone forward with anything like this.

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 20:44
Cool I didnt realise the early access was available - its downloading now!

It showed up in my email last night.

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 20:46
Nice! Installing now too, remotely, for when I get home and hopefully remember/find time to look at it. I used the online app quite a bit and didn't even realize pyromancers had gone forward with anything like this.

I only found out about it after talking to a friend and couldn't remember the web address.

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 21:01
This won't have anything to do with the base image (unless it has weird characters in the title). Are you running any extensions? Which ruleset?

It's 5E Ruleset, and quite a few extensions. All of the DOE extensions, 5E extensions, Basic Card Deck Tables, Black Image Mask, Calendar, Chatnomicon, Combat timer, most of the ones in the thread.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 21:25
It's 5E Ruleset, and quite a few extensions. All of the DOE extensions, 5E extensions, Basic Card Deck Tables, Black Image Mask, Calendar, Chatnomicon, Combat timer, most of the ones in the thread.
If you're using multiple image extensions then the chances are these are causing your errors as most image extensions aren't compatible with other image extensions. I'd recommend you pick one image extension and go with that.

Talley Darkstar
February 27th, 2017, 22:56
I'll check it out when I get home from work.

Talley Darkstar
February 28th, 2017, 03:44
If you're using multiple image extensions then the chances are these are causing your errors as most image extensions aren't compatible with other image extensions. I'd recommend you pick one image extension and go with that.

Well, it's the Image Text Label extension that's causing the issue.

Trenloe
February 28th, 2017, 03:55
Well, it's the Image Text Label extension that's causing the issue.
Yeah, that needs to be updated for v3.2.x of FG.

Lexfire
March 1st, 2017, 14:18
Reading through the Dungeon Painter discussion forums on Steam several users are working on placing several 1,000 additional mapping assets into the proper DP hierarchy folders for owners to download. One user has sorted through 2,000 assets and created 400 folders. Allowing workshop support should really make this program fly as the UI, bugs, and optimization are worked on.

GIndustries
March 6th, 2017, 20:40
i was looking into this as well. was wondering what does it come with for textures? is enough textures to cover a cave like scene or even outdoor maps or is there only indoor textures currently?

Allmight
March 6th, 2017, 21:16
Currently it's very limited. Hard to do maps that don't look alike.

However, you can import your own textures (lots of texture packs out there), either by importing them one by one from within the dungeon painter, or by droping many directly into the correct folder.

pyro
March 9th, 2017, 04:03
Since the beginning of March, we have doubled the number of images,
adding a sci-fi/industrial collection Taboo-Tech, and big pack of handpainted textures.
The replenishment process is ongoing and in the near future the collections will continue to grow full.
All images of excellent quality and maps created with them may be used for commercial purposes.

JohnD
March 9th, 2017, 05:56
Same question as elsewhere. I used Neverwinter Nights for over 12 years. What will my comparative learning curve be?

pyro
March 9th, 2017, 06:19
I have very little experience with the NWN editor, so it's difficult for me to compare.
In general, I think the app is very easy to learn.
If you have minimal experience with Photoshop you will be even easier, because DPS borrows from there many approaches.
You can watch this two minutes video about the online version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8EFGpBN6aQ
And try it here https://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/ (require Flash Player)
A new application is much more powerful and convenient.

damned
March 9th, 2017, 06:41
JohnD there are only a handful of things to learn with DPS.

1. Every time you draw something its on a new layer. You can move layers up and down. You will have lots of layers in a short time and that can take getting used to.
2. Many objects start drawing when you click and stop drawing on your second click.
3. Some drawing objects will take multiple clicks - start, corner, corner, corner etc and will only end when you click back to the starting point or when you double click to end.
4. Some objects/tiles can be used with brush which is more freehand or more like painting and not stuck to grids.

There are lots of other bits but get those going and its quite straight forward.
Try the online version as pyro has linked to.
The app version has more options.

Patou
March 9th, 2017, 14:13
Does it let you control wall shadows and so forth?

pyro
March 9th, 2017, 15:51
Yes, you may create some reusable effect presets, each with different options.
This video illustrates this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dluKCWyyE5s since 0:20.

Zhern
March 9th, 2017, 17:30
I noticed last night there are a ton of new images (the hand painted are nice!) added to DPO. Hoping to have some more time to use it this weekend. I've also got a ton of images that I'm planning to import and use to see how that works. One thing I did notice, and I'm hoping it is an enhancement that will be forthcoming, but I could only import a single image at a time (last week or the week before). I'm hoping to be able to import in bulk (and if it is already added I will find that out this weekend when I have a chance to import some of my own images).

GIndustries
March 9th, 2017, 18:13
Since the beginning of March, we have doubled the number of images,
adding a sci-fi/industrial collection Taboo-Tech, and big pack of handpainted textures.
The replenishment process is ongoing and in the near future the collections will continue to grow full.
All images of excellent quality and maps created with them may be used for commercial purposes.

Thanks pyro loving it so far

Lexfire
March 29th, 2017, 15:31
Dungeon Painter Studio now has workshop access for additional mapping assets. Several DPS customers have take the initiative in converting and orgranizing established map assets into the Dungeon Painter Studio folder structure. The two largest assets subscriptions currently available average roughly 320MB each and bring to the program 1,000's of assets. To many mention here but a great boost to a easy to use program.

Once a customer subscribes to the asset through the steam workshop, the Mod button in the DPS program allows the user to view the current workshop subscriptions and allows the user to install, update, or uninstall.

Tops Collection is very well done - with many assets images also presenting the size in squares for the image prior to placing. This asset grouping many images for building, statues, corpse's, cemetery theme, sewer theme, books, food, benches, wall, windows, stable components (hay, straw), overlays (dirt, blood), very well done.

GIndustries
March 30th, 2017, 21:22
awesome good to know.

Lexfire
April 2nd, 2017, 14:45
Someone just loaded 9,000 floor and ground textures through DPS workshop - there is some overlap with what is all ready available but a great new asset. Well over 1.2GB of assets through the workshop.

Answulf
May 8th, 2017, 11:04
A friend just showed me this software today. Watched the "How to" video and then bought it immediately. As Lexfire mentioned, the Steam Workshop has a ton of additional textures.

Great stuff!

Procurator
May 11th, 2017, 16:36
Great information, thank you all for sharing!

Couvs
December 22nd, 2017, 12:43
I used the online version of this to make a number of maps for the random encounters in my Storm King's Thunder game last year and it was a handy tool. One map I wasn't fully pleased with was an exterior map where I attempted to draw a crater in the ground; it ended up still looking very flat and 2-dimensional. Does the standalone have a means of drawing elevation transitions?

Bidmaron
December 22nd, 2017, 12:53
The features of FG are the same no matter which version of the program you are using. In Demo mode, certain features (like saving campaign edits) are disabled.

However, the answer to your question is that no version contains any map editing tools (other than rudimentary pencil drawing and masking)

Couvs
December 22nd, 2017, 13:14
I was referring to Dungeon Painter Studio since that's the topic of this post. The maps I had made with the browser version of it were used in FG

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2017, 16:01
I don't use DPS, but I would suggest you search the Cartographer's Guild to see techniques for drawing elevations. Unless DPS has a special elevation tool/symbol/brush, you'll have to create the effect manually and the CG will probably have some posts with techniques.

Kanbie
December 23rd, 2017, 03:40
I don't use DPS, but I would suggest you search the Cartographer's Guild to see techniques for drawing elevations. Unless DPS has a special elevation tool/symbol/brush, you'll have to create the effect manually and the CG will probably have some posts with techniques.

You can make use of the Bevel to do simple and complex elevations. I use it extensively in cave systems.

Lexfire
December 23rd, 2017, 17:02
Nice video shot a few months back -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU2gS7HpMLw

Danimal66
June 19th, 2018, 05:38
I know I'm posting in a very old thread but do we know what the export to fantasy grounds default to 100 pixels when the preferred is 50 pixels?

Also this program has seen numerous workshop additions and features since last year, well spent money.

Korak
June 19th, 2018, 06:40
Are there any tutorials for this?
i have purchased the program and found some basic videos but not that deep that lets me really know the stuff and how to use it.

damned
June 19th, 2018, 07:47
Here is a basic one that I did at FG Con.
It just shows a few things that I find useful in creating outdoor battlemaps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRn970hVYo4

There are many, many features Ive not explored (why is there so little time to do all these things!!!!).

Danimal66
June 19th, 2018, 14:28
Are there any tutorials for this?
i have purchased the program and found some basic videos but not that deep that lets me really know the stuff and how to use it.

My first piece of advice is look at the workshop content, there is so much good content you can create almost anything. I've more been about trial and error since I've used program like photoshop the layers are familiar to me. What are you trying to do exactly?

Until I stumbled on this thread I couldn't figure out why my maps were so large when importing into fantasy grounds but it seems the export to FG option is double the size it should be. Just curious why that is the case if it's been a known issue for over a year by the time stamp on this thread, why hasn't pyro fixed it?

Korak
June 20th, 2018, 09:59
My first piece of advice is look at the workshop content, there is so much good content you can create almost anything. I've more been about trial and error since I've used program like photoshop the layers are familiar to me. What are you trying to do exactly?

Until I stumbled on this thread I couldn't figure out why my maps were so large when importing into fantasy grounds but it seems the export to FG option is double the size it should be. Just curious why that is the case if it's been a known issue for over a year by the time stamp on this thread, why hasn't pyro fixed it?

I tried doing a Cave but not go so well, would like to know how to add light sources/effects.
a really basic dungeon i can manage, but beyond that is hard without a good proper guide.

hawkwind
June 20th, 2018, 14:16
have you looked at these https://steamcommunity.com/app/592260/videos/ videos. WEMO who did must of them plays in my weekly game and is on these boards fairly regularly

Korak
June 24th, 2018, 08:28
have you looked at these https://steamcommunity.com/app/592260/videos/ videos. WEMO who did must of them plays in my weekly game and is on these boards fairly regularly

I looked there as well, still looking for more depth tutorials.

JohnD
June 24th, 2018, 17:05
Edit; nevermind... I see sometime in the past I asked the same question and it was answered. :p

JohnD
June 24th, 2018, 17:26
Not sure how this double posted....