PDA

View Full Version : NPCs Controlled by PCs

presence
February 27th, 2017, 00:33
--- POTENTIAL Storm King's Thunder SPOILERS---

I've been playing the Storm Kings Thunder module, and in chapter 2 there is a large combat where the PCs are expected to control some NPCs. They can move them around, but they really can't completely control them. I haven't figured out a way for them to "target", talk, or take the proper actions, the GM has to do this. I'm sure I'm missing something. Is there a way to give them complete control? I followed the modules directions to "share" the NPCs with the players...but it falls short.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 01:22
Have you followed the steps outlined here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36294-Is-it-possible-to-create-an-NPC-that-can-be-used-by-multiple-players&p=316612&viewfull=1#post316612

Zacchaeus
February 27th, 2017, 11:10
Additionally read the story entry in SKT 'Conversion Notes' - (second story entry in chapter 0) which tells you how to do it. This story entry is linked to multiple times in various other story entries including the Story entry for Chapter 2 where it describes the NPCs.

presence
February 27th, 2017, 19:56
This is exactly how I have done it. The players do have access to the NPC character sheets, and can move them around. The issue is what they have to do to "act" as that NPC in the combat.

How does a player who is controlling a PC and an NPC select which one is going to perform the action? IE. When the NPC has its turn in the combat tracker, how does the player target the enemy would like to target? So far, everytime they do this, no matter whos turn it is, their PC gets their target set instead of the NPC. Same thing for measuring distance from the NPC to its potential targets, as well as the ability to "chat" as that character. I don't see any instructions regarding that.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 20:01
How does a player who is controlling a PC and an NPC select which one is going to perform the action?
Single-left click on the token on the map to select that token (you'll see a small highlight appear around the token). Then follow the usual targeting procedure: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Targeting

The player can also drag/drop attacks from the NPC sheet onto targets on the map or CT.

Zacchaeus
February 27th, 2017, 21:18
From the SKT Conversion notes

"Once the player has control of the NPC they will be able to use the information on the NPC sheet to make attack and damage rolls. To achieve this the player should hover their mouse over the attack or damage text in the attack action until the text is highlighted and then click and hold the attack or damage and drop it onto a target, either on the Combat Tracker or on a battlemap. This will work for all such attacks that the NPC is capable of."

As Trenloe says you can also click the NPC first and then use normal attack and damage rolls. There will be some kinds of actions especially spell actions which you may not be able to do using either method; in those cases the DM might well have to intervene to make the necessary rolls from the CT.

presence
February 28th, 2017, 01:46
I'll test with my next session and see. I am pretty sure they are doing this, but perhaps I need to go very slowly step by step to make sure nothing is being missed. They are all new to FG.

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2017, 11:08
Start a second instance of FG (from the FG.exe file) and join your own game using Localhost and you'll be able to see what your players see. This will give you a clearer picture of what is needed.

Trenloe
February 28th, 2017, 14:35
If you're running Windows, this post shows the two-step quick way to start a second instance of FG: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36957-Playing-At-Home-Including-Fantasy-Grounds&p=323935&viewfull=1#post323935