PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding Attempting to Model Spells and Class Features Better

Nilram the Grey
February 26th, 2017, 17:27
Ok, my group really likes the automated tracking of FG. It takes away the accounting and makes it easier for them to just role play. In that vein, they have asked me to improve the automated modeling of their characters. Here are some issues I'm having:

GoodBerry:

The default configuration by dragging and dropping from the PHB is to do nothing. I've added a magic item (power under category of magic item) to the character called goodberries with 10 usages of ONCE. We keep them all checked until the character casts the spell at which time we uncheck them. This works fine for tracking goodberries except that I can't find any way to track when they expire. The CT doesn't seem to understand anything beyond one hour. I've tried adding an effect to the character with 1 day set for its duration. That seems to be the same as infinity. I've tried advancing time via the CT with many long rests and I've tried advancing time in the calendar. I'm pretty sure there is no way to add a duration to a power (magic item) either. Thoughts?

Channel Divinity:

There are multiple powers that I can generally model fine except I can't see how to link all their uses together to show the aggregate of the powers has a limited number of uses. Right now I'm created a power called "Channel Divinity" that doesn't nothing other than have N uses per rest that they check off any time they use one of their powers with the the same prefix (e.g. Channel Divinity - Turn Undead). Thoughts?

Targeting Effects:

Also as the GM, I can target their effects, so that they only apply when targeting the appropriate creature. For example, Hunter's Mark they can apply to themselves and then I target the effect to whoever the Ranger has marked. Is there a way for them to target the effect? This works well as long as I modify the effect to never expend until a duration of 1 hour has passed. Am I missing something?

Concentration Checks:

I don't think there is any automation for concentration spells and concentration checks. Am I missing something? Is the "(C)" in the effects just a reminder for the players and GM?

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2017, 18:08
1) There isn't really a way to track something like Goodberry. You could set it up to replenish on a long rest (see number 2)
2) Create a Power Group called Channel Divinity and place all of your Channeled powers in that group. Then go to Preparation mode and set the number of uses. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Power_Group_Example) - it's for the Monk's Ki power but the same principle applies.
3) See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Effect_Targeting) for how to effect target properly
4) There isn't a way to do concentration. I create a power called concentration with a duration of 10 and place it on the PC just as a reminder that they are concentrating.

Nilram the Grey
February 26th, 2017, 19:21
Zacchaeus,

Thanks, that added another trick to my bag. Followup:

1) I find the approach of making them a 10 ONCE usage power under the category of "Magic Item" to work great for tracking them. I'm not trying to replenish them with a rest or time either, but I see how. I'm trying to expire them with time. I'm guessing there is no way to expire any power/feature with a time longer than 1 hour.

2) Works great.

3) Yeah, I know that one. The issue is if they target a new target each time using this method the timer on the power expiring gets reset back to 1 hour. Is there a way to avoid reseting of the clock? I'm guessing this works only for powers/effects that can't be retargeted. It works fine if I use the target icon for the effect as the GM. I'm guessing there isn't a way for the players to get access to that targeting icon on the power.

4) This would be a big win to support directly in FG. I guess I'll go look at the wish list and vote. Can you confirm that the "(C)" is just a reminder for the players and GM? This is the very sort of thing that is ideal to let the software do.

Nilram the Grey
February 26th, 2017, 19:25
Zacchaeus,

And by the way, you need a Patreon page so I can thank you properly. :)

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2017, 19:45
Powers can be replenished on a short rest (rest) or a long rest (day). But no, unless you enter the time in terms of turns anything longer than an hour gets ignore. You can use the DM option to clear all effects but that will clear things you don't want to clear as well.

Players can use effect targeting by SHIFT dragging the effect onto the target. hHat's the method used in that Wiki article I pointed too. Or am I misunderstanding what you are aiming at?

Nilram the Grey
February 28th, 2017, 14:09
Zacchaeus,

I believe the shift dragging only works from the icon on their actions page. This means you can't use shift drag to retarget from the CT once the power is activated. If we shift drag from the actions page it is resetting the clock as to when the power expires because it is creating a new effect. That is why we aren't using shift drag after the initial casting and targeting and as the GM I have to update the target once cast.

GarthGiantbane
February 28th, 2017, 15:24
I wanted to track Concentration as well. My fix was to add a (C) to each concentration spell name they use on their action tab, then I can glance at their sheet and see if the spell is a concentration.

Next I created a "Concentration" power on the casters and added effects for each duration - 1 min, 10 min and 1 hour.

My plan is to get the players to apply the correct Concentration effect when they cast a concentration spell. I just added that this week and we're a new group on FG so I expect it'll take a while to get used to doing but I'm hopeful.

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2017, 15:57
Zacchaeus,

I believe the shift dragging only works from the icon on their actions page. This means you can't use shift drag to retarget from the CT once the power is activated. If we shift drag from the actions page it is resetting the clock as to when the power expires because it is creating a new effect. That is why we aren't using shift drag after the initial casting and targeting and as the GM I have to update the target once cast.

Ok, I see what you mean. Yes, the timer resets when you select a new target. Not sure there's very much you can do about that except manually redo the expiry when the target shifts (i.e. the DM would need to note how many turns are left and then enter the new number onto the new target in the CT). Generally I've just ignored the timer for Hunter's Mark on the basis that if they get through the current combat it will have expired before the next one starts (I'm not a huge stickler to time really - but I know it's important to others). Once they get to casting it at 3th level of course all your worries are over.

Nilram the Grey
March 1st, 2017, 04:12
Zacchaeus,

Ok, at last I know I'm doing things as well as can be done without trying something like GarthGiantBane is suggesting.

GarthGiantBane,

Have you found any way to model generating the concentration check or automate determining the DC? I'm guessing not. I think this would require updating the ruleset.

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2017, 09:25
Zacchaeus,

Ok, at last I know I'm doing things as well as can be done without trying something like GarthGiantBane is suggesting.

GarthGiantBane,

Have you found any way to model generating the concentration check or automate determining the DC? I'm guessing not. I think this would require updating the ruleset.

There isn't a way to automate concentration. The best you can do is what Garth is doing which is to have a reminder effect with the correct timer.