PDA

View Full Version : How to synchronize campaign data between two systems

presence
February 26th, 2017, 07:43
I have a desktop I use when I'm not travelling (more real estate), and a notebook I want to use whilst travelling.

Ive tried copying the data from one system to the other, and for some reason, not everything copies over. When I copied it over the first time, and loaded the module, it appeared to work. Now when I do it, I get only the characters that were there the first time the data was copied...character positions on the maps as before. It just seems like something is existing beyond the data directory. I even deleted everything in the Fantasy Grounds data directory and copies the files over and had the same results.

Its strange, if I create a new campaign, it shows up...its just when I load a campaign that I loaded before where the problem exists.

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2017, 14:58
What was(is) in the campaign that isn't loading up? There's not enough info here for me to try and get to the root of the problem. Also when you say you copied the data can you say exactly what data you copied. Additionally have you made sure that in the settings of both machines they are pointing to the same location where you (think) your data is. Also make sure you have full read/write permission on those folders.

presence
February 26th, 2017, 23:40
What was(is) in the campaign that isn't loading up? There's not enough info here for me to try and get to the root of the problem. Also when you say you copied the data can you say exactly what data you copied. Additionally have you made sure that in the settings of both machines they are pointing to the same location where you (think) your data is. Also make sure you have full read/write permission on those folders.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much is missing. Let me give an example of what I know, however.

When I first moved the files over, I had two PCs in the files...the rest weren't created yet.

The next weed we created 3 more PCs, and they were fully fleshed out.

During that session, we through some orcs and zombies on one of the FG battle maps along with a few characters to "learn" how to do things with documentation assistance.

When I moved the files over for the second time, the characters, battlemap or anything else added appeared to be missing on the notebook hosted system.

Deleting the notebook FG data folder and copying over the files again changed nothing.

damned
February 27th, 2017, 02:30
It sounds like the data folder that you are deleting from is not the on that FG is looking at?
How are you opening your data folder location?

presence
February 27th, 2017, 19:52
Im actually using the folders that are set in "settings" for "Data Directory" within the fantasy grounds application to determine which folder to modify or delete. They are different from the desktop and notebook.

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 19:56
The best way to check the directories that FG will be using is to click the folder icon in the top right of the FG launch screen.

I'd recommend doing a comparison between the data in the two different <FG app data>\campaigns\<campaign name> directory once you've copied data across.

One key thing to remember is that FG should not be running on either computer when you copy data from one to the other.

ll00ll00ll00ll
March 2nd, 2017, 01:06
I have both of the folders (app data & data) stored in my dropbox folder, and I've managed to keep a Windows and a Mac installation of FG working successfully. The only trick is to make sure that Dropbox has fully synced before using either, otherwise you get into a nightmare situation...

damned
March 2nd, 2017, 01:45
I have both of the folders (app data & data) stored in my dropbox folder, and I've managed to keep a Windows and a Mac installation of FG working successfully. The only trick is to make sure that Dropbox has fully synced before using either, otherwise you get into a nightmare situation...

Its your call entirely but many other people have sooner or later run into issues storing their live data on a sync cloud drive.
If you are going to do this stop the sync before you use FG...

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2017, 06:07
Yeah, strong recommendation *not* to use sync applications on your FG live data. This data can be updated at any time during a campaign (GM and player side) and sync apps will try to access that data when it changes and this can result in two processes (FG app and sync app) taking control of the file access. If FG is not allowed full control of the files it uses the end result can be corrupt data. Don't use sync apps on your live FG data, it might appear to work "OK" for a while, but sooner or later you will have an issue - best case you'll lost some of your campaign data (and you might not even realise what's missing), worst case you'll lose all of it.