PDA

View Full Version : Par5e Class parsing probe

chikiko
February 25th, 2017, 22:58
While following along with the tutorial video I tried to build some content. I was able to get through a background that works well. but when going to class it just freezes. I tried doing what some others have said on the forum to remove sections to find what causes the problem but nothing worked except a blank class file. So i went to the par5e user guide and copied directly from the user guide what i needed to make a barebone class. However even that does not seem to work. I am at a complete loss for what to do. Here is the barebone class i made to just try to make it work before spending all that work creating a fully fleshed class again. Please help or if possible help me figure out how to be able to help myself. It's a bit hard without some form of message for the parser to clue me in on what has gone wrong.

##; Basic
basic class text
Hit Points
Hit Dice: text
Hit Points at 1st Level: text
Hit Points at Higher Levels: text
Proficiencies
Armor: text
Weapons: text
Tools: text
Saving Throws: text
Skills: text
Equipment

Zacchaeus
February 25th, 2017, 23:24
You need more than that. At least one feature and an archetype. If your original file is freezing the you have at least one serious error in it. Go back to it, take out all but one feature and one archetype (you need one feature in the archetype too). If that still doesn't parse you will have narrowed down where the error is. Look for incorrectly placed semi colons or missing one, extra spaces, misplaced commas. If all else fails post the .txt file and I'll take a look.

And welcome to FG and to the community.

chikiko
February 26th, 2017, 09:31
Thank you so much. I actually did try it with all that, but i must have miss read the userguide and thought it was option. I've included a link to my basic class.txt with features abilities. Thank you for taking a look at it. though at this point i'm hoping i was just being boneheaded and left out a semicolon or something. Thank you so much for your help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B87nlHPtyLttSl80c1ZseWNIc28/view?usp=sharing

chikiko
February 26th, 2017, 09:52
The weird thing is i've been able to make a background, feat and a race without any major issues, but this has me stumped.

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2017, 14:49
That's still not sufficient; you need text not just the headings. I meant post your original .txt file not a partial one. And just because you got the backgrounds and feats doesn't mean something else isn't going to trip you up. Classes are way more complex than either of those and there's way more scope for errors to creep in.

In the partial you posted there's spaces where there shouldn't be - for example #abf;Feature;1
Additionally you need a feature called the same as the Archetype; so in your example you'd need something like #fe;Ability Header;3

chikiko
February 27th, 2017, 09:36
Thank you so much. I didn't realize you need a feature with the same name as the ability header. That and it seems the class is super picky about spaces. the other sections need seem to mind it nearly as much. thank you so much.

dragen79
March 27th, 2017, 15:48
When creating a homebrew class in fantasy grounds do you have to use par5se or can you type it directly into fantasy grounds? I've been trying to add a class into fantasy grounds but i keep getting Unknown class proficiency type. (id-00001) for all the proficienfies i put in.

Zacchaeus
March 27th, 2017, 16:01
Hi dragen welcome to FG and to the community.

There is currently a bug in the live version in the class creation. It has been fixed and is in the next update. Just to prove it works in the updated version see here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37112-New-Class-Creation-Video).

dragen79
March 27th, 2017, 16:12
Thank you! I had watched your video before and knew you said that about the live version. I just didn't pay attention to when it was uploaded and thought it was for an older version. It's a good video thanks for your help. I'll reference back to it when the update comes out.