PDA

View Full Version : Value of DM's Guide for running pre-made adventures

Spin-Man
February 25th, 2017, 02:23
For a DM who plans to run mostly from modules, is it usually worth it to buy the DM's Guide? I see that the 5th Edition DM's Guide just went on sale, but I already bought Princes of the Apocalypse and I expect I'll be using that for all of my DMing needs for quite a while. After my group finishes that, I'm most likely going to buy and run Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

I don't mind entering the stats for an NPC here and an item there, but I don't want to spend more time doing that sort of thing than I spend in session. Do the tools, tables, lists, etc. in the DM's Guide outweigh the cost for someone who isn't building adventures from scratch? Likewise, it looks like every monster from the PotA random encounter tables is already provided, so does the Monster Manual provide anything I'm going to wish I had?

I have the physical books, so simply having access to the information isn't an issue.

JohnD
February 25th, 2017, 03:26
PotA comes with everything you need to run it. That said, the DMG is solid value in my opinion - I believe some of the items can/will link to descriptions if you have it.

damned
February 25th, 2017, 03:51
PHB + your choice of module will give you plenrty of value. The MM and DMG have plenty of goodies too but if you arent into prepping your own stuff the value is less.

Spin-Man
February 25th, 2017, 05:02
Thank you for the advice. I'll hold off on the Monster Manual, since I have all the monsters I'll need. I'll probably pick up the DM's Guide while it's on sale, but I have a couple more questions about it: do the magic items with pictures in the book have those pictures linked in their item entries? Also, does the module include all the random dungeon tables from Appendix A and the random maps at the end?

SirGraystone
February 25th, 2017, 07:14
The pictures of the magic items are linked to their entries. Yes the random table of Appendix A are included so are the maps.

Zacchaeus
February 25th, 2017, 08:15
The DMs Guide is worth it for the tables which roll up an entire treasure alone; never mind all the other goodies.

Spin-Man
February 25th, 2017, 15:46
Thank you, everyone. I have decided to get the DM's Guide.

JohnD
February 25th, 2017, 16:58
The DMs Guide is worth it for the tables which roll up an entire treasure alone; never mind all the other goodies.

Yeah those are gold.

LordEntrails
February 26th, 2017, 04:41
Don't forget, the FG DMG also includes the item forge, which isn't something available in the printed DMG. The forge lets you build custom magic items based off of the DMG items.

That said, you don't need it for pre-made adventures :)

lostsanityreturned
February 26th, 2017, 19:05
Don't forget, the FG DMG also includes the item forge, which isn't something available in the printed DMG. The forge lets you build custom magic items based off of the DMG items.

That said, you don't need it for pre-made adventures :)

Strongly disagree. All adventures deserve to have their magical items somewhat tailored to things that the players will enjoy having ;)

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2017, 19:51
Strongly disagree. All adventures deserve to have their magical items somewhat tailored to things that the players will enjoy having ;)

Indeed. No point in giving out a +1 spear if no-one can use it. Of course you don't need the DMG to change that to a +1 Shortsword :)

lostsanityreturned
February 26th, 2017, 20:24
Indeed. No point in giving out a +1 spear if no-one can use it. Of course you don't need the DMG to change that to a +1 Shortsword :)

True, but maybe you want to give them that cloak of useful items or a special type of magic item. Maybe your characters go off the rails.
It is not really about necessity because really we don't need much when it comes to an rpg. It is all about conveniences in this case :)

JohnD
February 26th, 2017, 21:26

That's the best time to give out a +1 spear!

Trenloe
February 27th, 2017, 01:44
Don't forget, the FG DMG also includes the item forge...
The item forge is available in the base 5E ruleset (click the link at the top of the campaign items window) and there are a bunch of "Magic Item Templates" in the "DD5E SRD Magic Items" module to use in the forge.

LordEntrails
February 27th, 2017, 04:06
The item forge is available in the base 5E ruleset (click the link at the top of the campaign items window) and there are a bunch of "Magic Item Templates" in the "DD5E SRD Magic Items" module to use in the forge.
Ah, but atleast it was released when the DMG was released right? But thanks for correcting me (again!)

(No, I'm not bitter, no, That's just bitter beer face!)