PDA

View Full Version : OT: Gateway IP Filtering Help

LordEntrails
February 24th, 2017, 15:12
So I got a new gateway a few weeks ago and am having trouble setting it up (not with port forwarding or FG, UPnP is working fine). Wonder if any of you can help.

On my old Netgear I could setup MAC filtering with a schedule. i.e. to keep the kids off late at night.

I now have an Arris DG2460. It does not allow MAC filtering by schedule, but it does allow IP filtering by schedule. So, I reserved IPv4's for certain devices. I set those IPv4's (by range) to be filtered/blocked at certain times. But, they are not being blocked when it's time...

The devices show up with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, but there it doesn't support filtering/blocking IPv6 Addresses.

Any ideas if I've done something wrong or why it's not working? Do I need to disable IPv6 maybe?

Thanks in Advance :)

Trenloe
February 24th, 2017, 16:42
Do I need to disable IPv6 maybe?
Sounds like it.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 00:54
For others finding this thread etc. Not solved yet, but I found the users guide for the Web GUI (which is useful, whereas teh user guide for the gateway itself is not). Starting on page 26 is most of the info one needs. https://www.liwest.at/fileadmin/templates/main/liwest/media/pdf_content/rund-um-Betreuung/ARRIS_Router_Setup_Web_GUI_UG.pdf

It still doesn't seem to be working. I'm still thinking this is due to IPv6, but I don't know how v6 addresses work so I'm not sure how to assign a v6 address to a MAC address and then filter it on a range. Also trying to disable v6, found setting both on LAN and WAN areas and disabled DHCP for IPv6. Is that how I disable v6?

damned
February 28th, 2017, 07:11
For others finding this thread etc. Not solved yet, but I found the users guide for the Web GUI (which is useful, whereas teh user guide for the gateway itself is not). Starting on page 26 is most of the info one needs. https://www.liwest.at/fileadmin/templates/main/liwest/media/pdf_content/rund-um-Betreuung/ARRIS_Router_Setup_Web_GUI_UG.pdf

It still doesn't seem to be working. I'm still thinking this is due to IPv6, but I don't know how v6 addresses work so I'm not sure how to assign a v6 address to a MAC address and then filter it on a range. Also trying to disable v6, found setting both on LAN and WAN areas and disabled DHCP for IPv6. Is that how I disable v6?

Turn off IPv6 DHCP would be one option.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 15:11
Turn off IPv6 DHCP would be one option.
I thought I did that with these two options;

But I still see IPv6 entities on my client list.

Here's the scheduled filter I set up;

I did a power cycle on it to make sure things had set, but no change. Other ideas or do I need to call the ISP?

Trenloe
February 28th, 2017, 15:15
type ipconfig /renew6 in a command prompt. This should release the current IPv6 address lease and not get a new one (as IPv6 DHCP is not running).

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2017, 15:32
type ipconfig /renew6 in a command prompt. This should release the current IPv6 address lease and not get a new one (as IPv6 DHCP is not running).
Ok, I sent a modem reset signal from the ISP's website. ipconfig /renew6 throws an error which I assume is good. Going to have to go test now. Thanks :)

C:\Users\HarlanD>ipconfig /renew6

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 6 while it has its media
disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 3 while it has its
media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 2 while it has its
media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its m
edia disconnected.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : The sys
tem cannot find the file specified.