PDA

View Full Version : Story Tabs - No more?

Genetex
February 23rd, 2017, 07:53
Hi I am new to Fantasy Grounds.
I am starting to prepare multiple adventures for my campaign and want to flip between them depending where the characters are.

So....

I am guessing story "tabs" were eliminated at some point...
I couldn't find any information on this and even the wiki says there are story "tabs".
Almost all youtube videos and tutorials talk about this etc,

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data

Could someone please explain details about this and or change the wiki.

Thanks

vodokar
February 23rd, 2017, 08:03
Story Tabs were replaced with Story Categories. At first it will seem confusing, but once you get the hang of it, they are actually a lot more useful.

Moon Wizard
February 23rd, 2017, 08:14
The tabs were replaced by a drop down box at the top of each of the campaign list windows for each record type.

Once you activate the drop down, you can:
* Click on a group to filter the records to only that group
* Drag a record link from the list onto a group to re-assign that record to the chosen group
* Click the Edit button (brown slash)

Once in editing mode, you can also:
* Edit a group name
* Delete a group (Any records will be placed in the (New) group)

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
JPG

Genetex
February 23rd, 2017, 08:20
Thanks for the replies.
This is what I assumed.
Do you know if there is a tutorial for these. When working with NPC's I always seem to have trouble moving them around the categories.

MarianDz
February 23rd, 2017, 09:53
Hi "Genetex" try look at this - Moving Monster or "Where I put this green goblins last time" (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?208-Moving-Monster-or-quot-Where-I-put-this-green-goblins-last-time-quothttps://)

hope it helps little.

btw welcome on FG board ;)

Patou
February 23rd, 2017, 13:25
Sweet!

LordEntrails
February 23rd, 2017, 15:57
And if you are making your own adventures, I recommend you read this post, a little out of date, but still very valuable; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2017, 17:02
Do you know if there is a tutorial for these.
New functionality video linked in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34719-Release-v3-2-is-live

pinkwerks
March 21st, 2017, 23:56
Can someone update the wiki? This confused me as a new user.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data#Campaign_Data_List

Great feature, thanks for explaining thanks!

Jaradakar
August 19th, 2018, 16:52
Man from a ease of accessibility stand point, I think this was a step backwards. I can understand from a sense of scale-ability the new method is more robust, but for someone who is more visual inclined or who may want to have some reoccurring go to notes I'm sad this feature has gone away. Almost seems like a "book mark" tab system would be handy that allows for 'quick access' to groups you use a ton.

lostsanityreturned
August 19th, 2018, 17:23
Man from a ease of accessibility stand point, I think this was a step backwards. I can understand from a sense of scale-ability the new method is more robust, but for someone who is more visual inclined or who may want to have some reoccurring go to notes I'm sad this feature has gone away. Almost seems like a "book mark" tab system would be handy that allows for 'quick access' to groups you use a ton.

In action the new system is a lot faster, and remember you can always create a story entry and populate it with links that you want easy access to before dropping said story entry into the toolbar.

The old system was messy and nasty once you started to get lots of chapters / categories or were pulling from multiple sources. It was even harder to remember what was what once you ran out of colours and annoying to cycle through the colours in the first place.

I am sure people are out there that miss it, but I would bet a limb that the people who miss it and actually used it are in an extremely small minority. (when the system changed I was running four games a week on fantasygrounds, so I may have felt the change more drastically than most :) )

This all said, the ability to favourite/bookmark a category and then have it appear as a quicklink at the side of the panel could be interesting. I don't want the devs to even think of implementing this until after they release FG:U though

Trenloe
August 19th, 2018, 17:27
Feature requests can be added to the FG wishlist here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2018, 18:23

In my current campaign I count 40 groups which would mean 40 tabs at the bottom of the story window. There was no way to tell what tab was what just by looking at them so you had to mouse over each one to find what you were looking for - so whilst it might sound great; in practice it was a nightmare. Create your own group for links and such and name it in such a way that it is the first one which appears at the top of the list.

Once you get more into the campaign you will actually find that you rarely need to open the story window anyway. You will mainly be running the adventure from map pins. If there are story entries that you feel are important enough drag them to the toolbar, so that you can easily get at them again.

JohnD
August 19th, 2018, 20:51
Yeah 18-ish months after the fact I can say that while this took a little adjustment in work flow to get used to, overall it has been a positive change.

Nyghtmare
August 19th, 2018, 22:24
It is easier to create 1 story to index all of the links or have the stories in separate groups rather than have 40 bookmarks horizontally.

I do not miss the bookmarks in the least, after having used the software for a few years now (since just before 5e came out).

Skillkoil
August 24th, 2018, 05:31
I have found that the current story system makes things so much easier. Here is what I do, it may help you organize as well. I use the drop down menu in the story box and create new. Then I name the Group 1 as Campaign Name: Chapter 1 and so on. Then I go to Chapter 1 and number my stories like pages. So the first story I create will be #1 The Beginning. Then the second may be #2 The Road to Adventure etc... As long as I don't create more than 9 pages per chapter they stay in order and everything is easily found. Then in each story page I can link notes, encounters, images/maps, important NPC's, parcels and anything else that is important for that part of the story. This allows me to follow my numbered stories and have everything I need all right there on one page.

I hope this helps you!

Zacchaeus
August 24th, 2018, 09:21
If you want more than ten chapters or sections then start your numbering 01, 02 etc, 10 will then follow correctly after 09. The same applies if you have numbers above 100. Start at 001.

I usually start at 00.00 or 00.000

Skillkoil
August 24th, 2018, 13:29
If you want more than ten chapters or sections then start your numbering 01, 02 etc, 10 will then follow correctly after 09. The same applies if you have numbers above 100. Start at 001.

I usually start at 00.00 or 00.000

Thanks Zac, that is a good practice to get into.