PDA

View Full Version : Module Making Questions

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2017, 06:18
Figure - I might have more, rather than making thread per (unless that's preferred)

OK - so let's say in a description it says, you see 3d4 patrons. Let's say I want to just automate that (it might be more complex in future) - I could make a table, but that would be more cumbersome than the DM rolling by hand.

Is there any way to include:
1. A simple "roll" action/link in a story entry.
2. A table that takes amount rolled and prints a message. Think like in C:
printf("There are %u patrons in the room.", rollResult);
?

OR any other accepted ways to do such things?

vodokar
February 23rd, 2017, 06:44
Sounds like a "Random Encounter" might be a good solution for you, Var. Create just like a regular encounter, but you can put the dice roll in there to get the random number of them.

If it gets more complex than that, like say, a random encounter table, you can create the table and drop the random encounters into the table. When you do that, it outputs the result of the roll to the chat with a link to the random encounter, then the random encounter generates the number of the foes.

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2017, 06:59
Yup, just tried it - I think this doesn't exist. I basically just wanted to have story-driven random die roll (could appear in chat) - the adding "text" part was just gravy.

I'd be happy if could do:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.0.1 Story Entry
----------------------
Text...more text...
Still more...
Upon entering the room, you will see 2d4+2 guests milling about.
Blah blah

[2d4+2] link/button -> click and rolls for you versus picking up the die and setting it up with modifiers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vodokar
February 23rd, 2017, 07:35
Unfortunately, that functionality doesn't exist. Closest you can get is to link in a table. It's clunky, but it works. I have sometimes created tables just to generate a random number.

Zacchaeus
February 23rd, 2017, 08:58
You can sort of do something like this with a Story Template. A lot of work however just to insert a tandem number into a line of text.

LordEntrails
February 23rd, 2017, 16:01
I suggest using the random number in encounters that Vodokar suggests and Story Template that Zacchaeus suggests.

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2017, 18:28
You can sort of do something like this with a Story Template. A lot of work however just to insert a tandem number into a line of text.

Yup, no ... I just wanted to "hand the DM" (me, since this is an old TSR module and cannot distribute free or otherwise) the dice right in the story entry so when the time comes, they can roll it like they would when playing from paper. So, it is way easier for the DM to move the pointer, grab the 4 sided dice, right click, then put 2 in mod window (not using 5e so no -+2 button) and throw the dice.

I was just hoping could do the equivalent of "embedding" a dice control in story like we do for character sheets etc. I knew that wasn't possible, was asking in case someone had a simpler-than dice collecting, modding and rolling (which is not hard - just wanted to be all fancy ;) I'm over it now )

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2017, 18:33
The best you can do is put the die string in a story entry, e.g. /die 3d4 Then copy/paste that to chat and press return. Not great, but might be a bit quicker for you.

Nickademus
February 23rd, 2017, 19:11
Make it a story frame (Ctrl+3) and you can drag it to the chat input without the copy/paste. Just don't click the story frame or it will put it into the window for the players to see.

Varsuuk
February 23rd, 2017, 19:32
Thanks! Both of those last seem like it's very close to what I envisioned in effect if not implementation.

I'm at work, so can't test but seems like it would be smoother for a quick roll.

I posted this to consider how could be done or to inspire coding team to maybe add other paragraph types" in next revision (assuming it was a simple thing to do in a story vs a sheet) for fgu maybe.

The specific entry that spurred this is trivial... I don't need to roll 2d4 to tell them how many in common room - i can pick it out of my butt since it has no impact on the adventure - it is window dressing as these mocs are not even for interaction at this point. But still, the "what if" I did want to roll reared it's head.

Trenloe
February 23rd, 2017, 19:34
Just don't click the story frame or it will put it into the window for the players to see.
I wasn't going to trust Varsuuk not to do that! ;)

Nickademus
February 23rd, 2017, 20:45
I don't need to roll 2d4 to tell them how many in common room - i can pick it out of my butt since it has no impact on the adventure - it is window dressing as these mocs are not even for interaction at this point. But still, the "what if" I did want to roll reared it's head.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18018&stc=1&d=1487882639

When populating the occupants of the inns in this town, I drag one of the story frames based on the month of the year over to the chat input, hit enter, then roll the required die. The same principle could be used to solve your 'what if'.

Nickademus
February 23rd, 2017, 20:46
I wasn't going to trust Varsuuk not to do that! ;)

You can lead a horse to water, but...

LordEntrails
February 23rd, 2017, 23:34
You can lead a horse to water, but...
You can lead an Aussie to beer...

damned
February 23rd, 2017, 23:56
You can lead an Aussie to beer...

and you wont need to make him drink...

but back on track - you could just write "You encounter 4-10 Goblins" and let teh GM decide how many - the party are cruising give them 10 - if they are bruised and battered but you arent ready to let up on them just yet give them 4. In the newer systems in many places where there is a range they also tell you how many (eg hit points and sometimes damage).

Tailz Silver Paws
March 1st, 2017, 00:05
I hope I am not side tracking anyone. But I Have a module making question.

I have an encounter, and I have one monster, lets say a goblin. Which I insert into the encounter, and then I have 5 copies of that goblin. I then set each copy of that goblin to use a different token image. When I export the module, and then review it as a module. The encounter is as I created it, but those 5 copies of the goblin all use the Goblins default token imaghe I set in his NPC data sheet instead of the token images I set for each copy in the encounter.

Is there a way to retain each goblin's copy's token setting?

damned
March 1st, 2017, 00:07
You will need 5 unique goblins to support that.

Tailz Silver Paws
March 1st, 2017, 00:18
You will need 5 unique goblins to support that.
That is what I thought, ah well... Might start naming and giving each a background. LOL!

Trenloe
March 1st, 2017, 01:00
I have an encounter, and I have one monster, lets say a goblin. Which I insert into the encounter, and then I have 5 copies of that goblin. I then set each copy of that goblin to use a different token image. When I export the module, and then review it as a module. The encounter is as I created it, but those 5 copies of the goblin all use the Goblins default token imaghe I set in his NPC data sheet instead of the token images I set for each copy in the encounter.

Create the encounter like this:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18089

Varsuuk
March 1st, 2017, 02:54
I hope I am not side tracking anyone. But I Have a module making question.

No my friend, that is why I used such a general title ;)
Come on in, the waters of confusion which lead to enlightenment when stirred by the hand of the Fantasy Grounds Gurus that benevolently lend us their wisdom (if not their beers) are fine... come on in and ask away.

Tailz Silver Paws
March 2nd, 2017, 00:22
Create the encounter like this:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18089
Yup, that is what I do.

No my friend, that is why I used such a general title ;)
Come on in, the waters of confusion which lead to enlightenment when stirred by the hand of the Fantasy Grounds Gurus that benevolently lend us their wisdom (if not their beers) are fine... come on in and ask away.
The Gurus are harsh task masters, and I would never presume to ask them for beer.

Schnapps on the other hand? Or perhaps a nice chok-chip-cookie?

Gimmie!

Trenloe
March 2nd, 2017, 06:10
Yup, that is what I do.
And it works like that?

Tailz Silver Paws
March 4th, 2017, 21:01
And it works like that?

Yes, although you still have to go into the code and change all the image references. But if I have a bunch of goblins, and I want each goblin to use his own image for the token, have to create a NPC reference for each goblin with its own token/image and then add that NPC to the encounter.

Trenloe
March 6th, 2017, 17:06
Yes, although you still have to go into the code and change all the image references. But if I have a bunch of goblins, and I want each goblin to use his own image for the token, have to create a NPC reference for each goblin with its own token/image and then add that NPC to the encounter.
That's not at all how I do it. That screenshot shows the same NPC (a single NPC record, not multiple ones) added 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 times to an encounter. The token will be automatically populated with the one allocated to the NPC ("A" in this case) or the beginning letter of the NPC name if there isn't a token already allocated to the NPC record.

Once the 4 (or whatever) individual entries are in the encounter you drag the required token to the left of the name (not under the name). This will allocated that token to the NPC in the encounter and will change the one under the name to reflect that change. Then use the token under the name for token pre-placement, if that's what you want.

This works fine for me. So I'm confused which process you've followed if you feel you need to manually change XML or create multiple NPC records.

Tailz Silver Paws
March 8th, 2017, 23:48
That's not at all how I do it. That screenshot shows the same NPC (a single NPC record, not multiple ones) added 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 times to an encounter.
Ooohhh, well no, in that case that is not how I do it. I duplicate the NPC, modify each one to have their own character: Bob the Orc has a knife, Tom the Orc has a club, and Uuhg the Orc does it old school and will try and go Hannibal Lector and EAT YOU. Each with their own token and special rules. Fun!

The token will be automatically populated with the one allocated to the NPC ("A" in this case) or the beginning letter of the NPC name if there isn't a token already allocated to the NPC record.

Once the 4 (or whatever) individual entries are in the encounter you drag the required token to the left of the name (not under the name). This will allocated that token to the NPC in the encounter and will change the one under the name to reflect that change. Then use the token under the name for token pre-placement, if that's what you want.
Oh I see, I thought that token spot was populated from the NPC record and the "extra copies" of that NPC in the encounter setup (the ones under the record) were where you allocated extra tokens.

This works fine for me. So I'm confused which process you've followed if you feel you need to manually change XML or create multiple NPC records.
Ether way still required editing the XML to get the tokens in the folder structure I want to use. Since I build my Modules with all the tokens inside the host folder, then manually move them inside the module when I edit the XML.

Andraax
March 9th, 2017, 13:58
Ether way still required editing the XML to get the tokens in the folder structure I want to use. Since I build my Modules with all the tokens inside the host folder, then manually move them inside the module when I edit the XML.

When you're creating your module, make a "tokens" folder within the campaign. Tokens that are linked to NPCs in the module will be automatically exported with the NPC into the module. You won't need to edit the XML in that case.

Varsuuk
March 11th, 2017, 21:04
I just noticed in the current module I am building (C&C ruleset) that there are right and left arrows on every story entry but the first one I worked on has that PLUS an "up" arrow.

What makes the up arrow appear? Is it a specific numbering scheme or naming or?

Tailz Silver Paws
March 12th, 2017, 06:22
When you're creating your module, make a "tokens" folder within the campaign. Tokens that are linked to NPCs in the module will be automatically exported with the NPC into the module. You won't need to edit the XML in that case.
I use tokens for a lot of non-character things, such as chairs, tables, etc. It was just easier to do it like this. And I also wanted a specific folder arrangement.

Moon Wizard
March 14th, 2017, 00:53
The arrows on the story window are associated to a "story group", which is a combination of module and group/category. The left/right arrows will navigate in alphanumerical order between records in each story group.

If the story group contains a story record with (Index) or (Contents) in the name of the story record, then the up arrow will also be visible and will link to that record.

Cheers,
JPG

Varsuuk
March 14th, 2017, 01:26
The arrows on the story window are associated to a "story group", which is a combination of module and group/category. The left/right arrows will navigate in alphanumerical order between records in each story group.

If the story group contains a story record with (Index) or (Contents) in the name of the story record, then the up arrow will also be visible and will link to that record.

Cheers,
JPG

THAT'S the difference... I created a (Foo Index) I think on the other one and just a (Bar) on the second. Gotcha - thanks, wasn't a "thing" but it was bugging the corner of my easily bugged brain.

Talyn
March 14th, 2017, 17:11
Trial and error the names. Sometimes (Full Adventure Title Here) will work to get the "up" arrow, sometimes not. (Index) works and so does (Adventure Index) which is what I've taken to using on the last two I made.

I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure (The Outpost) worked fine, but (Shadows of the Halfling Hall) certainly did not. Perhaps it's a length issue? I dunno, but I'm happy enough with (Adventure Index) considering how I construct that particular page. Just checked the screenshots and (Gauntlet of Spiragos) also worked fine. I have no clue what makes it fail... maybe too many words like Shadow of the Halfling Hall?

Moon Wizard
March 14th, 2017, 17:22
It's supposed to be specifically containing "(Index)" or "(Contents)", but the pattern match might be off. I'll probably fix when I get back for v3.3.0 beta. The reason why it was so specific was to prevent accidental usage.

Cheers,
JPG

Talyn
March 14th, 2017, 17:45
Ok, I'll patch mine when I get home then. James loves me patching everything after the fact LOL.

Moon Wizard
March 14th, 2017, 18:28
Just pushed the update to correct this specifically to use "(Index)" and "(Contents)" in the v3.3.0 beta.

Cheers,
JPG

Talyn
March 15th, 2017, 04:14
Um, ya may have tightened that up a bit much. (Index) works fine but if I do (Contents) it disables all the arrows on all the Story pages.

Edit: for further clarification after some testing, when calling a Story page from a link using (Index) the buttons may or may not appear. Using (Contents) they do not appear. Using the Story masterindex window, the arrows work fine and additionally once you've brought up the masterindex window once, suddenly the arrows appear and work as intended when calling a Story page from a link, and that's true using both (Contents) and (Index).

So there may be some masterindex wonkiness going on?

Talyn
March 16th, 2017, 00:34
Also I see several DLC (including two which just went into the store today) that use (Adventure Index) and at least one went in the store today that used (Full Adventure Title) as well... those will need to be patched. I've already got mine patched just need to submit them.

anemeth
March 19th, 2017, 03:10
I am trying to do a random number of rolls on a single table and having a brain fart...

Ex: 1d4 rolls on magic items table?

Bidmaron
March 19th, 2017, 03:33
Story Template or table record?

anemeth
March 19th, 2017, 15:39
I remembered how to do it finally! Create a separate table with 1d4 options and have the table I need it to access put in 1, 2, 3, and 4 times respectively for each roll.

Zacchaeus
March 19th, 2017, 17:03
Not sure exactly what you are looking to do but if you want to roll a random number of times on a specific table then use [1d4x][The table you want to roll]

Trenloe
March 19th, 2017, 17:51
Lots of information about tables here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables The Random Encounter example gives a good run through and includes the [1d4x] option mentioned by Zacchaeus.

Tailz Silver Paws
April 6th, 2017, 02:22
Ok I have a question about converting an adventure module from one rule set to another. Is there a simple way of doing it without too much fuss? I have a 3.5e I want to convert into Pathfinder? Can I just re-open my origional as a Pathfinder, make changes and re-export? Or do I have to enter all the content again?

Talyn
April 6th, 2017, 03:05
The rulesets themselves are identical and you can use the PFRPG ruleset to load an adventure labeled as 3.5E and vice-versa. About the only change would be edit the NPCs to drop Listen and Spot (was there a third one?) and use Perception instead. Most of the DLC in the store (that I've used) that says "PFRPG / 3.5E OGL" is actually PFRPG-compliant (the NPCs already have Perception so you'd have to reverse-engineer to use 3.5E rules), for example.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2017, 04:45
Ok I have a question about converting an adventure module from one rule set to another. Is there a simple way of doing it without too much fuss? I have a 3.5e I want to convert into Pathfinder? Can I just re-open my origional as a Pathfinder, make changes and re-export? Or do I have to enter all the content again?
Make a copy of your original module making campaign. Open campaign.xml in the directory and change the ruleset tag from 3.5E to PFRPG. Then load that campaign up and make the relevant changes to the NPCs: skill changes - perception, etc. and add CMB/CMD entries. If the NPCs are class based add 1 HP per class level (or 2 if you're maxing the HD). Check everything works and then export the module.

Tailz Silver Paws
April 9th, 2017, 06:19
Make a copy of your original module making campaign. Open campaign.xml in the directory and change the ruleset tag from 3.5E to PFRPG. Then load that campaign up and make the relevant changes to the NPCs: skill changes - perception, etc. and add CMB/CMD entries. If the NPCs are class based add 1 HP per class level (or 2 if you're maxing the HD). Check everything works and then export the module.

Oohhh that sounds so easy! I like easy!