PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds 2?

Skeletor3040
February 22nd, 2017, 08:05
Hey guys, another question here, ive been looking at alot of popular youtubers that run tutorials on the game, i have my 5 friends ready to play, so now im just seeing how to control an adventure. so now, im seeing that they are using a more, updated version of what i have, commonly referred to as "Fantasy Grounds 2". now this is interesting bc im using a 10$ a month license, and i read in a review saying that the game is 39$, not speaking of any sort of monthly payment, now this could have been an old review, but, to get the, color maps, color buttons and all the snazzle dazzle, i have to get the full, 39$ license?

and for when one of you great forum mods comes by to help me out, ill say it now...
Thanks! <3

dulux-oz
February 22nd, 2017, 08:30
Hi Skel,

Its a long, long story, but the short version is that Fantasy Grounds is currently v3.2.3 and any references you see to FG2 is referring to the old fantasy grounds pre-v3.

All good?

Oh, and a Shameless(TM) Self-Plug - Dulux-Oz's Tutorial Vids are generally recognised as some of the best you'll find (links in my sig and/or on the FG Wiki) :p

Skeletor3040
February 22nd, 2017, 08:52
so the nicer version of the game with the color maps and what not is the older one?
lol so whys the newer one better..

GenesisX
February 22nd, 2017, 09:25
so the nicer version of the game with the color maps and what not is the older one?
lol so whys the newer one better..

I am not sure what "nicer" version you are referring to. Fantasy Grounds has gone through several iterations (afterall, we are on version 3 now). The base package for Fantasy Grounds 2 never came with color maps, although a number of them was added in a later update for version 3.

I believe most maps you see are from the different modules you can buy as addons or maps created and entered into the database by Gamemasters themselves.

So, rest assured, FG has only grown in functionality over the years.

dulux-oz
February 22nd, 2017, 09:27
The use of coloured maps has nothing to do with the the version of FG - that's solely up to the GM who loaded the map. Both the old and the new version can use the same maps/images.

Why is the current version of FG better than the old one? The same reason that any software's newer version is better than the old one - less bugs, more features, etc (yes, I know, new features can introduce more bugs, but as a general rule newer versions of software generally have fewer bugs than older versions).

"Nicer" is a subjective term - FG is the "engine" that allows us to play tabletop RPGs over the Net. How "nice" it looks depends on the Ruleset used and the Ruleset's graphics; which Theme (Skin) is loaded, if any; how much effort the GM has put into preparing maps and other images, and a whole host of other factors.

If you'd like to provide a couple of contrasting examples I can see about explaining why one might be "nicer" than the other, and how much of that is related to the different versions of FG. :)

LindseyFan
February 22nd, 2017, 10:04
Hello, Skeletor3040, and welcome! You and your friends are going to love it here!

I'm just posting to point out to those who are smarter than me, that it sounded like you said something about already paying a monthly cost. I would assume that means you should already have access to standard or higher of the thing we sometimes call FG2.

Willot
February 22nd, 2017, 11:31
For example I changed my FG desktop to instead of the D&D symbol (or decal) The Desktop is just a big reference sheet. So now players always have the reference chart in front of them!

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2017, 15:06
On the cost thing. There are two different paid licenses, and two different types of each license.

Two Licenses:
1) Standard - GM or play in any game, players must have Standard or Ultimate license to join
2) Ultimate - GM or play in any game (no additional DLC), anyone (including free/demo player) can join a game hosted by an Ultimate GM

License Types:
1) Subscription - monthly fee, access and updates only during your paid subscription
2) Perpetual - one time fee, perpetual access and you get all updates free within the same version (i.e. version 3 is current)

Subscription are relatively new, so many older reviews don't address that.

ddavison
February 22nd, 2017, 16:23
Hey guys, another question here, ive been looking at alot of popular youtubers that run tutorials on the game, i have my 5 friends ready to play, so now im just seeing how to control an adventure. so now, im seeing that they are using a more, updated version of what i have, commonly referred to as "Fantasy Grounds 2". now this is interesting bc im using a 10$ a month license, and i read in a review saying that the game is 39$, not speaking of any sort of monthly payment, now this could have been an old review, but, to get the, color maps, color buttons and all the snazzle dazzle, i have to get the full, 39$ license?

and for when one of you great forum mods comes by to help me out, ill say it now...
Thanks! <3

If you have the $10 monthly subscription, then you have the latest version of Fantasy Grounds Ultimate edition. To buy the non-subscription version of that, it would cost $149 one time. We also have a $4/mo Standard subscription that you can pay $39 for one-time instead of monthly. The Ultimate version lets your players play for free when they connect to you without needing their own license or sub.

If you have any screenshots or links of the videos that show a "nicer version" that what you have, we would be happy to comment on those. Each ruleset has a different look and feel and certain products come with different themes and decals that you can turn on or off.