PDA

View Full Version : New User: DM notes on players

The Vipper
February 21st, 2017, 23:48
Hello, and sorry if this is a dumb question, still getting used to FG and prepping to run my first campaign with it.

I am looking into things for player notes, but more things that the PCs can't see, but is specific to them. One has a somewhat unknown (to him) background so putting hints about it through the world for him to discover and reclaim his spot in the late game, so I get putting things on the map of where stuff is, but I want to make sure he finds it, so many parts could be in different places, depending on what the party does overall to keep different storylines moving and wrapping around each other so we don't end up with sessions on just him.

Anyway, I've seen for player notes the idea is to just use the notes field right in the character sheet, but if i'm not mistaken, the player has access to read that correct? If so I can see how that would be the ideal place to keep what he knows, but as far as what he doesn't know, and got wrong etc, is that better as a story item with links off there, as notes or something else completely?

And then riding on that, how to keep things organized from there.

From what I understand, it's intended to be a complete system, so no need for a wiki or anything like that for a larger setting. Is that accurate and if so, what are some organization strategies?

I've purchased a few modules (lost mines and storm king's thunder) to use the resources and get a better idea on structure, but is that the best way?

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2017, 00:03
I'd suggest you make story entries for each bit of information you want the character to find and then share those with only that player (drag the story and drop it on the players portrait to share only with that character)

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2017, 00:26
I'd suggest you make story entries for each bit of information you want the character to find and then share those with only that player (drag the story and drop it on the players portrait to share only with that character)
What he said :)
Also, you can make groups in your story list to keep all the PC specific story entries in.

The Vipper
February 22nd, 2017, 01:10
Thanks for the feedback, didn't think sharing notes with just one or two was an option, lots and lots of prepwork to put together

GarthGiantbane
February 22nd, 2017, 03:46
Yep, that's the ticket.

And after they get the Story link(s), the character can start their own notes and I think they can drop those story links right to the note page to copy. They would probably still have the original story entries but just in case...