PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Bundle on Steam

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2017, 02:30
Well, ironically as I've been looking at videos on YouTube trying to decide if I should buy, Steam just posted a bundle everything 5E for about 27% off. This just may move me to buy. One question, it looks like it's only a standard license in that bundle and if I'd want to upgrade that license to an Ultimate License, how would I go about doing that most efficiently? Does it matter if I do the upgrade through SmiteWorks or Steam? I wouldn't think it would matter but figured I'd ask. Also, if I purchase through Steam, do I then need to come here to register this on the SmiteWorks site? Sorry for all the questions lately and I appreciate the help.

LordEntrails
February 21st, 2017, 02:57
It's easiest for Smiteworks if you buy everything in one place. But things can be sync'd if you ask or if you wait. I forget all the details as to which way and how often they are sync'd. But someone will jump in and let you know the details.

What I wanted to say is that any bundle available on Steam should also be available in the FG Store. I've never heard of SW putting things on sale in one place and not the other.

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2017, 03:41
Yes, we mirror all Steam sales in the FG main store. Please let us know if this is not what you are seeing.

The complete 5E bundle is also always available in both stores for a discount.

Regards,
JPG

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2017, 04:09
Actually I did notice that it was on sale here but it looks like Steam has it for $10 cheaper only. Hmmm...I've been watching tutorials on this (dulux's and xorn's) and it does look like there is a bit of a learning curve too - lol!!

celestian
February 21st, 2017, 04:29
Actually I did notice that it was on sale here but it looks like Steam has it for $10 cheaper only. Hmmm...I've been watching tutorials on this (dulux's and xorn's) and it does look like there is a bit of a learning curve too - lol!!

I would highly recommend these if you haven't watched them already. The guy is a bit over the top but he's got a lot of good information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb-d3Zcznj4&list=PLJGKJMlzabIm1vHqzq-axNlkbYuQyq8Bw

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2017, 04:43
It can sometimes vary a bit based on regional pricing if you are outside US. Otherwise, if it's US pricing, a note to [email protected] would get it fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

DrakosDJ
February 21st, 2017, 05:02
Yes, we mirror all Steam sales in the FG main store. Please let us know if this is not what you are seeing.

The complete 5E bundle is also always available in both stores for a discount.

Regards,
JPG

I have the opposite problem. I don't see all my items purchased from FG in my steam account.

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2017, 05:15
The Steam store and FG store are independent, so purchased on each are independent.

If you have split purchases across stores, you'll have to contact [email protected] to get the bundle pricing.

Regards,
JPG

damned
February 21st, 2017, 07:47
Hi DrakosDJ the pricing is mirrored (in USD) across both sites but DLC purchases in oe or the other are not synced. the only thing that carries over is the license key - a license bought on Steam will work with an install downloaded here and vice versa (after a period sync of which there are about 8 a year).

Dax Doomslayer due to the way Steam sees/bundles things the Ultimate is only available as an upgrade (basically DLC) when buying on Steam. Buying here you can buy it in one go at approx $5 saving.
There is definitely a learning curve... some tips - embrace the unique UI (dont fight it), dont try and do everything in your first session or even campaign - just enable/use more features when you are ready to, and learn COMBAT (especially how tokens work).

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2017, 14:10
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies - the are appreciated. A couple more questions if I may. Out of curiosity, when the "mythical" transition over to the Unity engine occurs, how does that effect any of the downloaded modules / rule sets etc? I understand there could be an upgrade fee on the base license. However, is it being contemplated that you'll need to re-buy the adventures and any add on books etc for the new engine or will these add ons be compatible or made compatible? Also, another dumb question I'm sure. How easy is it for one person to run multiple characters?

Moon Wizard: Thanks for that. From what I can tell, it looks like Steam I think is also giving the discount on the base Fantasy Grounds program. I think that may be the $10 or so difference in price. Not a big difference but it is a little cheaper though I haven't really gone through it to analyze but from a quick look that would be my guess as to the difference.

celestian - I appreciate the link!! I've actually watched that a while ago and it helped to get me to this point when I was comparing Roll20 and FG - lol.

damned - As always thanks for your input and guidance. If / when I buy (which I think the decision is pretty close at this point depending on any more information I unearth), I think I may just have one of my friends and I kind of do a 'trial' run on this.

LordEntrails
February 21st, 2017, 15:31
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies - the are appreciated. A couple more questions if I may. Out of curiosity, when the "mythical" transition over to the Unity engine occurs, how does that effect any of the downloaded modules / rule sets etc? I understand there could be an upgrade fee on the base license. However, is it being contemplated that you'll need to re-buy the adventures and any add on books etc for the new engine or will these add ons be compatible or made compatible? Also, another dumb question I'm sure. How easy is it for one person to run multiple characters?...
SW has said that all previous content will be usable with the Unity version, there will be no need to re-buy any DLC.

Very easy, many of my players run multiple characters. They just select them on the PC screen and then can activate them by left clicking on them if they aren't just using the combat tracker activation.

Nylanfs
February 21st, 2017, 15:49
Moon Wizard: Thanks for that. From what I can tell, it looks like Steam I think is also giving the discount on the base Fantasy Grounds program. I think that may be the $10 or so difference in price. Not a big difference but it is a little cheaper though I haven't really gone through it to analyze but from a quick look that would be my guess as to the difference.

Chances are if you aren't in the US you are seeing regional pricing from Steam.

Also note that if you want to get the "Complete X Publisher" bundle discount you need to buy the DLC from only one place, either Steam or the FG Store. Technical issues prevent being able to track purchases between the two services.

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2017, 16:26
Thanks guys. Good to know that running multiple characters for one person isn't difficult. As the DM running an NPC, from what I understand I'll have to run 2 instances of FG - is that correct?
Nylnafs - actually this is USA pricing. I'm in the Commonwealth of MA (though it sounds like it should be somewhere in Europe - lol)!!

LordEntrails
February 21st, 2017, 18:32
Thanks guys. Good to know that running multiple characters for one person isn't difficult. As the DM running an NPC, from what I understand I'll have to run 2 instances of FG - is that correct?
Nylnafs - actually this is USA pricing. I'm in the Commonwealth of MA (though it sounds like it should be somewhere in Europe - lol)!!
Nope, by default all NPC's are controlled by the GM. If you want to control a PC as the GM, you can really just do that too by opening their character sheet (like a player would).

There used to be an extension so that a GM could take ownership of a PC and the players wouldn't see the character in the pick list. But not sure if that was rolled into the core FG or if it's maintained etc.

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2017, 18:36
It was rolled into the CoreRPG layer. Just right click on the PC in the Character Selection window and select Take Ownership (as GM).

JPG

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2017, 20:04
Cool - so all that is needed is a character sheet and the DM can basically 'play' a character if need be. One dumb question on the character sheets. In all the tutorials, there is a good deal of data entry to add abilities. If you purchase the books is there any automation (i.e. pick an ability from a drop down list etc) as opposed to having to enter the information yourself. I know you can drag and drop the full ability into one of the sub-radial choice by clicking on the shield I thing it is but say if I'm adding the Dwarven poison resistance or using the sneak attack for the thief, is that entered manually or do I need to do the commands (i.e. RESIST:poison) found in the 5E Effects on the FG Wiki. My fear is that there'd be a lot of clerical (not meaning the pious spell slinger but more administrative) errors. Thanks.

Galach
February 21st, 2017, 20:52
I don’t know if this is a regional offer, but I can confirm that Steam have a “bundle offer” for D&D 5e Fantasy Grounds products, as they have for many other products on sale there.

After you complete the bundle (i.e. buy all material listed there), all new releases that are included in the bundle will be sold for you at 25% discount, as long as it complete the bundle again.

For example, if you purchased everything in the bundle except for Volo’s Guide to Monsters, and there are no new release, this “book” will be sold at 25% discount. But if you wait until the Tales from Yawning Portal to be released, you will only get the discount if you buy the two “books”, completing the bundle.

I only purchased all the D&D 5e official material because of that bundled offer – probably, I would never buy the official campaigns otherwise, but I am now glad I did.

About the sync between Smite Works and Steam, as far as I know, it only works for FG license keys purchased on FG store – the keys are sent to steam every 2 or 3 months to keep Steam updated.

All other materials, like token packs, rulebooks and adventures are not synched between the two services – if you purchase something on Steam, it won’t show on FG store purchase history, and if you buy something on the FG store, it won’t show on Steam too.

However, if you buy something on Steam, you can contact FG support, sending proof of purchase (Steam screenshots and invoices), and the FG support will make the changes on your FG account.

Finally, I am mixing purchases through both sides of this coin for about a year and a half now, and I had no problem at all – FG will look for updates on FG server first, than on Steam, end everything you have will be downloaded correctly.