PDA

View Full Version : Module/Story "Categories"

Varsuuk
February 20th, 2017, 06:28
I'm about 40% of the way through my first printed module conversion to FG.

I did a test export to see how the categories worked. When exporting, I gave the category as "N1, Against the Cult of the Reptile Gods" and voila, when I load the module, it has the category.

Now, last time I messed with this, we had tabs (which we named in that uber cool way by dragging text to the tabs.)

I loaded a few other bought modules to see how others did. Some third party ones did it all under one category.
The 5e ones varied among the ones I looked at. Two examples were Phandalin with one category "LMo Phandalin" with all the "overview" stuff and then individual categories manually added for each "part". SKT was similar other than it seemed to use smaller granularity of "chapters."

Thing is, if you have several open, it gets "weird" looking because they can interleave in theory. If each had a preface code of SKT, LMOP etc, it may have reduced this.

What I'd have loved was an overall category based on module, then once that is opened, a subcategory choice for things like SKT's "Chapter 3" etc.

With that not being an option (unless anyone knows a way to emulate?), which of the various ways we've seen seems best for the new 3.0+ way?

Trenloe
February 20th, 2017, 06:30
You can't do sub groups. Use a short abbreviation at the beginning of your group names that's relevant to the module you're creating.

Varsuuk
February 20th, 2017, 06:57
OKies, I think I will do that. Since I plan on having some of my modules open concurrent with others. Will be neater that way.

LordEntrails
February 20th, 2017, 16:56
Yea, I've noticed this too. That's why when I do module conversions I make a prefix like Trenloe suggests. Wish everyone did :)

Varsuuk
February 21st, 2017, 05:09
Yup, that's what I started doing midway. Will pick up the ones iI already did on my second pass through. I first entered (at Dungeon part now) all the entries as written in my module. Then will pass again adding the encounters and treasures and pins.

Thing is, it isn't perfect unless you stick to a single vendor really. I am working on N1 from TSR, but there is no reason there would not be an N1 from let's say Dragonfoot or something. Of course, if we didn't care about names to long to read, could put them in their own namespace like TSR.N1: or WotC.OotA etc. But I'all stick to counting on clashes being ridiculously small even with such simple 2 letter prefixes.

noxioustaco
March 1st, 2017, 06:50
So I've noticed more than a few folks doing module conversions to 5E, Path Finder etc..
Is there a running list, project thread or place that these are all tracked?
Or we just could have concurrent conversion's for the same module being done?
Just curious.

Genetex
March 1st, 2017, 11:41
Hi I am curious about this topic and would like to get more detailed examples flowing.

I just finished a short Module "The Most Potent Brew"
So my module now is named "The Most Potent Brew"

Question:
Should I be adding an abbreviation to the module "N1 The Most Potent Brew"

also

Should I be adding these abbreviations to the Story, tables, encounters etc.
Story:
"N1 Overview"
"N1 The Cellar"
Encounters:
"N1 Rats Encounter Cellar"

As I start the next module "Havel's Cross"
I should name name this "N2 Havel's Cross"

and the story, encounters, maps etc
Story:
"N2 Overview"
"N2 Meeting Landry"
Encounters:
"N2 Goblins On The Trail Encounter

Is this what you are talking about?
Sorry I am confused...

If someone could explain in details (With examples) the best practice of sorting modules and naming so they will mesh together . It would be great!
I am new to fantasy grounds and all the information is so jumbled between different versions old/new its so confusing.

I think I will have to make tutorials for new players because most of the tutorials out there are old and discontinued.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2017, 14:53
Hi I am curious about this topic and would like to get more detailed examples flowing.

I just finished a short Module "The Most Potent Brew"
So my module now is named "The Most Potent Brew"

Question:
Should I be adding an abbreviation to the module "N1 The Most Potent Brew"

also

Should I be adding these abbreviations to the Story, tables, encounters etc.
Story:
"N1 Overview"
"N1 The Cellar"
Encounters:
"N1 Rats Encounter Cellar"
Don't add anything to the individual story, tables, encounters, etc. names - these will be included in the specific group and that name will be displayed in the campaign list to the right of the entry name for the "All" list. If you select the individual group you'll just see the entries relevant to the individual group. For these records use a brief name that means something to the GM (or if you're converting a published scenario, use the section names from the product).

For groups: If you have a single group per FG record type (story, maps, etc.) then I'd say just use the name "The Most Potent Brew". If you use multiple groups,e.g. Part 1, Part 2, or such; then prefix with an abbreviation - don't make long group names as most of this will get obscured for most lists when the window is first opened. USe something like TMPB - Part 1, TMPB - Part 2.

I think I will have to make tutorials for new players because most of the tutorials out there are old and discontinued.
A lot of the tutorials/videos are still of value. Players don't see groups, so if you're worried about players getting confused with groups don't be.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2017, 14:54
Very good module creation advise here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2017, 15:33
So I've noticed more than a few folks doing module conversions to 5E, Path Finder etc..
Just curious.
There is no list I'm aware of. Given that conversions are still protected by IP laws, they can't be shared unless given permission by the copyright holder, there isn't much need for a list. Those that do get converted and have permission to distribute are usually stickied in an appropriate thread or are distributed through the DMsGuild or RPGNow, etc.

Trenloe
March 1st, 2017, 16:03
My strong recommendation for anyone starting FG conversions is to reach out to SmiteWorks to see what conversions are ongoing/available and what you need to do to be involved. I've seen a few posts over the years where people have complained after they've spent time converting products but have subsequently then had issues getting them processed/approved - and it turned out they'd never reached out to SmiteWorks first, so they really had no grounds for complaint. Have clear agreements/expectations of what the end result is before you devote time to a conversion.

If conversions are being done that won't end up in the SmiteWorks store (e.g. will be posted on DMs Guild only) then reach out to the product owner/author for permission/details on what they require from you to do a FG conversion.

Varsuuk
March 4th, 2017, 07:25
My 2 ongoing conversions are not intended for public consumption, the first because it is a TSR module (1e that I will convert to C&C and (5e as a practice probably)) and the other is a third party S&W "influenced" module of I think dubious interest for most. I will probably AFTER the fact ;) submit it informally to SW folks to get two types of feedback:
1. If it is done "properly", especially given I suck at graphics and my "editing" remove numbers is tricksey but prob not "pro."
2. Check if this sort of thing is even in realm of SW-worthy, ie: Content & fact that it is intentionally "system agnostic" with obvious OSR leanings. If so, and deemed not an embarrassment, I would let them decide. I would be willing to contact author, but wanted to get feedback first.

**If for some reason someone is already doing it or it is not something they want even if well done, no worries - I did this to train my son in D&D play - not really to do something with it. I figured get a few under my belt before tried something that might be more SW-worthy.

Thanks for the feedback (turns out I may NEED to do categories if my theory on consta-sort and CPU usage applies. Will test in Windows tomorrow to see if same behavior other than I might notice it less with 4x2 cores)