PDA

View Full Version : So You Want to be a Hero

Gibson400
February 19th, 2017, 13:49
Hello all,

I recently started a new campaign, see the title of this post, and we had our first actual game session with the players yesterday (2-18-17). After the session one of the player decided to drop from the group as he was hoping for a more text / chat based communication system vs the voice system with Discord that we use. That said, I may be looking for one more player to join us. We have the party rounded out with a very diverse group with the following classes: Half-Elf Warlock, Elf Paladin, Human Bard, Human Wizard and a human fighter. Unfortunately we lost our cleric so that is what we potentially are looking for. Here is the original game posting:

G License: GM has Ultimate License
Game System: D&D 5E
Time Zone: Central Time USA
Day of week and time: Saturday, starting at 1:00PM CST, USA
Planned start date: Next schedule session set for March 2, 2017 @ 1:00PM CST
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4-6 Hour session, every other week
Term: Long term keep playing for a while

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord

Role play & Combat mix: 50/50 mix of role play & combat
Number of Players in game & needed: 4-6 (currently have 5 players - looking for 1 more)
Character starting level & equipment: As you will be joining a an on-going campaign you will come in at lvl2
Character restrictions: Only core races and classes from the PHB and SCAG. Dragonborn & Tieflings are shunned in this campaign but not prohibited. Play at your own risk. You have been warned!

Your father sits you down one day and looks keenly into your eyes and says with a touch of sarcasm, “so, your mother tells me you want to be a hero? Is this true?”
I am looking to create a long-term campaign & story with a group of people who wish take the long and perilous journey toward becoming heros.
This campaign will be a mix of the Forgotten Realms and home brew. I will be following the Forgotten Realms for the most part with some additional areas thrown in to add flavor.
As far as story goes, I have several story arcs I wish to pursue but nothing hard and fast. Much of what I want to do will be based upon your characters and their journeys as novice adventurers through to (hopefully) becoming the stuff of legend.
Please know that only races and classes from the Players Handbook and Sword Coast Adventure Guide will be allowed. No other sources will be used. Dragonborn and Tieflings are not prohibited however in this campaign setting they are shunned and held in the lowest regard. Play them at your peril. You have been warned!
I am an older GM (started playing in 1984) and have had some not so good experiences with “younger” players recently. I ask that only players of age 30 or older apply. I am not looking for players who want to warp the rules to suit their idea of what their character is. I believe the rules are there to guide a player and to form the frame work for your character. I do not want rules lawyers or meta gamers. I am looking for players who take the game seriously but not too seriously. Who enjoy some comedy and light hearted joking as well as the serious side of things. I hope and expect my players to contribute to the story narrative in their own way. I, as the GM enjoy role playing and reward players for great role playing or inventive combat / magical descriptions and ideas.
I expect to have around a 50/50 role play/combat mix but each session will determine how that runs. PM me if you have questions.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2352

Your Humble GM
Scott

dybull
February 19th, 2017, 14:09
Only from phb and scan? I was looking to play some u,earthed arcana builds?

damned
February 19th, 2017, 14:25
Only from phb and scan? I was looking to play some u,earthed arcana builds?

I dunno... the DM says "are you sure you want to step thru that yawning mouth doorway?"
Make it easy on your DM and play the game that works for him/her.
Just my thoughts....

kalmarjan
February 19th, 2017, 14:28
I dunno... the DM says "are you sure you want to step thru that yawning mouth doorway?"
Make it easy on your DM and play the game that works for him/her.
Just my thoughts....
Exactly. The DM even took the time to outline what works in the campaign world. It's not like it's a surprise either...

Gibson400
February 19th, 2017, 14:34
Sorry, only races from the Players Handbook and Sword Caost Adventurers Guide. I am not using any UA builds.

lee100868
February 19th, 2017, 16:25
Hi there Maasq pointed me in this direction and I would be very interested in playing.
Still fairly new to FG and 5th edition but very old school roleplayer here asi am 48 and been playing since I was 18.
I can play any class you want me to as used to play games where we were given a character and background and just had to play, so if you want me to be a cleric then I can do that.

Please let me know any questions and if you need to chat with me to see if I will fit the group no problem.

Thanks

Lee

valiantcosmos
February 20th, 2017, 00:01
Hi Gibson400,

Definitely looking to become a hero, but only if I have to work for it:) I'd love to find a group I can work with to create a character with some interesting motivation that makes sense with the overall campaign and with the other characters. I definitely fit your age preference (early fiftties) though I'm relatively new to D&D (six months playing on FG). You might have a cleric in lee100868. If so, looks like maybe you could also incorporate a ranger for some added versatility to the party. I'm pretty easy going and like to play an earnest character. I play more for the challenges presented by puzzles and perilous (hopeless? Never!) situations and for the drama and character development of the unfolding narrative, rather than for witty banter/punning (which I enjoy but am not particularly quick with) or racing other characters to loot the pockets of defeated foe (which I don't enjoy so much). Happy to chat and answer any other questions.