PDA

View Full Version : Run 3 Games, Had 2 Crashes...

JHale1966
February 19th, 2017, 10:48
First off, this is not a b*tch post - I love the system and just need to see what I can do. :)

I've used FG now for 3 of my games and 2 of them crashed - I mean full 'Windows needs to close this program' crashes. Is there a log file or anything I can post or send in to find out why the crashes occurred? The first time it happened I thought it might have been because I was connected to the game from a second monitor so I could see what the players were seeing and after I got everything back up (and didn't use the second connection) the rest of the game played fine. Last Thursday I didn't have a second connection and it still crashed in the middle of the game. Very frustrating. :(

Thanks! :)

Jim

Logan-05
February 19th, 2017, 11:35
Hey Jim, that sux. Totally get your frustration. I'm going to say something that I hope you'll take the right way: I run a pretty vanilla version of Windows 10, and I've never had a crash with FG. Steam tells me that at this point, I've logged just over 400 hours of play. I mention this only to give you a sense that there's every reason to think you should be able to get this application to run in a stable fashion. It's not like I'm doing anything special with the FG program. That said, you'll need people who can help you trouble-shoot - maybe a call to the FG tech support people? They seem incredibly helpful. Wishing you every success as your debug!

JHale1966
February 19th, 2017, 11:38
Well, mine's not so much vanilla but it's a 64bit system with 16M RAM and I don't usually run into these kinds of issues with other programs. That's why I'm hoping there's a log or something that might shed some light on the issue.

Myrdin Potter
February 19th, 2017, 11:46
Can you tell us what ruleset you were using and if you were using a bought module or something you did yourself?

When I hear about crashes, it tends to be from maps that are too large, too many shared tokens or from more than the PHB being shared (for 5e).

JHale1966
February 19th, 2017, 11:55
I'm using the PFRPG Ruleset and was running a home made 'Master of the Fallen Fortress' adventure. Maps are about 2M (which I can chop down) but the first time it crashed was in 'The Wounded Wisp' (also home made) and those maps are only about 500k in size. I didn't think I had too many tokens going at the same time - no more than 15 on any individual map and they're all small.

Myrdin Potter
February 19th, 2017, 11:58
It is the pixel count that gets you on maps. What is their length and width in pixels? Anything over 2500 x 2500 will cause issues.

Tokens or not just what is on the map but how many are in the "shared" folder.

dulux-oz
February 19th, 2017, 12:06
Trouble is, FG is still a 32-bit program, which means it'll only really use about 3.2 Meg even if the system has got more.

So large maps / high detail maps or lots of small smaps (and/or lots of Tokens) can really chew up the usable (note that's not available, but usable) memory - causing crashes.

I've got a couple of Modules (of data, not maps) that run to over 2 Meg in size and I've got to be real careful about opening more that one or two at the same time - and I'm on Win10 64-bit with 32 Mb or RAM.

So, without knowing the exact details I'd start by looking at just what you do have loaded in FG - and maps and Tokens are the most likely culprits for causing trouble - especially Tokens because ALL the Tokens in the Token folder get loaded. I've had to move my Tokens into a separate folder and only move back the ones I need.

FG Unity should fix these problems (its 64-bit0 but thats a way off yet.

Hope this all helps

Cheers

JHale1966
February 19th, 2017, 12:11
It is the pixel count that gets you on maps. What is their length and width in pixels? Anything over 2500 x 2500 will cause issues.

Tokens or not just what is on the map but how many are in the "shared" folder.
I currently have 129 tokens in the shared folder - I keep things in there like Familiars, spell effects, summoned creatures, etc. for the players to choose when they need them. Would it be better to move them into the host folder and then assign them to a player when they need them instead of letting them get them themselves?

Myrdin Potter
February 19th, 2017, 12:12
The number of tokens seems fine, unless some are huge in file size.

What about the map sizes?

JHale1966
February 19th, 2017, 12:14
The number of tokens seems fine, unless some are huge in file size.

What about the map sizes?

Look to be around 1350x1350 - But I can resize them down.

Myrdin Potter
February 19th, 2017, 12:17
Map size seems ok, unless you have a ton of them open all at once.

I'll bow out and let technical support from Smiteworks comments as if it is. It map size or shared tokens, then they would have a better idea of other common causes for issues.

damned
February 19th, 2017, 14:12
Hi JHale1966 images at that size are ok and anything under about 750 tokens (depending on their size) is also usually ok.
What modules did you have loaded?
What modules did you have shared?

Trenloe
February 19th, 2017, 15:31
I think the key thing here is what damned is asking. What modules do you have shared in this campaign? Following on from that, what modules are activated on the players side.

I'm guessing this is the second instance (player side) that is crashing. Could you confirm which side is crashing?