PDA

View Full Version : Are card decks possible?

patlabor
November 17th, 2005, 18:10
Hello,

i am thinking about using FG for some online gaming, but i am not planning on using d20 for it, but either torg or svage worlds. dont know exactly what the rulessets are for but i dont think i really need to do anything here as long as i can roll the dice and see the results, i dont care if there are some (useless) d20 references in the programm, but both of the systems use deck of cards, torg one special deck for combat and some kind of action cards for the players and savage words uses normal poker cards for initiative and another set of special cards with special actions that the players can draw and use.

would it be possible to realize something like that with FG or do i need to look for an alternative?

LordTomar
November 17th, 2005, 18:40
Hello,

i am thinking about using FG for some online gaming, but i am not planning on using d20 for it, but either torg or svage worlds. dont know exactly what the rulessets are for but i dont think i really need to do anything here as long as i can roll the dice and see the results, i dont care if there are some (useless) d20 references in the programm, but both of the systems use deck of cards, torg one special deck for combat and some kind of action cards for the players and savage words uses normal poker cards for initiative and another set of special cards with special actions that the players can draw and use.

would it be possible to realize something like that with FG or do i need to look for an alternative?

Hmm.. dont think this has come up before... do the decks people use have standardized cards? or is it like magic where you create a deck from a large number of different cards?

If they use standard decks then you could probably assign a number to each card and use the RNG to pick wich card you pull.

I admit my understanding of the program is very limited though... and there might acualy be a way of using the real cards themselves in the game... this i cant tell you.

Sigurd
November 17th, 2005, 18:44
'Possible' is a big word.

I think in theory you could do what you say but I have no idea how you would do it, and I have seen nobody working on anything like it.

Decks are programmed as random numbers tied to descriptive strings. As a clumsy workaround you could keep an external database or two for each deck and retrieve the description appropriate to a die roll. If the card drawn is removed from the deck you'd have to keep track of spent numbers. It would be work to set up and not very intuitive.

Sigurd

LordTomar
November 17th, 2005, 18:59
It might be far easier to do this after they go to 1.06 and they put in scripting... though again Im not 100% sure on this.

patlabor
November 17th, 2005, 20:37
well the problem is, that the GM is not supposed to know which of the special cards the players are having, nor should the players know what the others have.

but i guess i need to look somewhere else :cry:

thanks for the replay anyway

Crusader
November 17th, 2005, 21:37
Well, I know that Vassal supports cards. It's made for wargames and such, but maybe it could be of use to you.

https://www.vassalengine.org

Ged
November 17th, 2005, 23:06
Cards for pre-1.06 Fantasy Grounds need to rely on workarounds such as determining d52 or such :( . When we get 1.06 out, cards will be no problem at all.

Cantstanzya
November 18th, 2005, 00:32
Cards for pre-1.06 Fantasy Grounds need to rely on workarounds such as determining d52 or such :( . When we get 1.06 out, cards will be no problem at all. Cool, my group will be sure to discover a "Deck of many things" shortly after 1.06 is released. :twisted:

New Zombie
March 28th, 2006, 23:52
Cards for pre-1.06 Fantasy Grounds need to rely on workarounds such as determining d52 or such :( . When we get 1.06 out, cards will be no problem at all.
this is promising, as i have only recently discovered both FG and Savage Worlds. both appeal for different reasons but the ability to run a savage world campaign (without nasty work arounds) in FG would be brill.

Savage Worlds effectively reduces overheads for the GM (and players) so i'm all for that. i'm not convinced it handles magic well but thats fine by me as i'm interested in it for a dawn of the dead style campaign, if you haven't heard of it have a look at the revised verion reviews on rpgnet

Madhaus
August 8th, 2006, 01:34
Cards for pre-1.06 Fantasy Grounds need to rely on workarounds such as determining d52 or such :( . When we get 1.06 out, cards will be no problem at all.Having that in mind, and knowing I have yet to even download the Demo -I'm lurking, asking questions, for now- will it be possible to push cards out to players specifically, hidden as Patlabor explained, to everyone else but they player they're assigned to, and keep track of that over the course of several sessions?

water_prophet
September 14th, 2006, 20:02
Cards of varying forms would have a fantastic impact on standard games.
Examples:
1. Tarokka deck from Ravenloft.
2. Tarot deck for readings.
3. 3-dragon ante

It would be great if there was a way to link a random "roll" of some sort to a custom image in an FG folder. That way decks would be completely customizable and the copyright onus would be on the DM (as well as the scans or images used).

Griogre
September 14th, 2006, 20:18
Card decks are not possible at this time other than die rolls simulating the draw of a card. Version 2.0 will probably make them possible through scripting if nothing else. Both Torg and I believe Savage World require card decks normally.

Thore_Ironrock
September 14th, 2006, 22:20
Card decks are not possible at this time other than die rolls simulating the draw of a card. Version 2.0 will probably make them possible through scripting if nothing else. Both Torg and I believe Savage World require card decks normally.

Digital Adventures will be working out a card deck mechanic for the current version of FG and 2.0 for a ruleset we are working on right now.

Hint, Hint ... Griogre mentions it above. :)

Snikle
September 15th, 2006, 08:24
I worked up a simple card deck mechanic a while back, it was specifically made for Savage Worlds. If can be found over on the FUM forums (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/showthread.php?t=170). Not exactly what you were looking for, but you might be able to use it. ;)

Kalan
September 15th, 2006, 11:47
Digital Adventures will be working out a card deck mechanic for the current version of FG and 2.0 for a ruleset we are working on right now.

Hint, Hint ... Griogre mentions it above. :)

HEY!! That's mean :( ;)

Griogre
September 15th, 2006, 19:00
HEY!! That's mean :( ;)
LOL, not mean - that is a tease. ;) Somehow I don't think he was talking about Torg either. :p

Kalan
September 17th, 2006, 15:44
LOL, not mean - that is a tease. ;) Somehow I don't think he was talking about Torg either. :p

I know he wasn't ;) But its not my place to say anythin...He da boss an all dat ;)

sturtus
January 25th, 2016, 15:14
Resurrecting this thread! Curse of Strahd for 5e has a mechanic for the tarokka deck, used quite frequently.

Trenloe
January 25th, 2016, 16:27
Resurrecting this thread! Curse of Strahd for 5e has a mechanic for the tarokka deck, used quite frequently.
Here's an extension that simulates drawing random cards from a deck: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23099-Basic-Card-Tables-Extensions

sturtus
January 25th, 2016, 16:33
Perfect logical implementation. Thanks!