February 17th, 2017, 03:14
Version History
Old School NPC Maker - Extension v.1.0.0 released 2/16/17
v1.0.1. 3/2/17 - Current Version

Changelog
Version 1.0.0
initial release

Version 1.0.1
Made extensive additions and modifications. Too many to list. As this extension is meant for developers, I am sure it will be very obvious what was changed.

Q&A

Who is the target audience for this extension?

It is intended for those individuals in our community that spend their free time developing adventure modules for Old School rulesets such as C&C, AD&D, Swords and Wizardry, Damned Basic Dungeon, Dungeon Crawl Classics and future ruleset projects based on the worlds oldest fantasy role playing game.

What ruleset is this extension designed for?

This is an extension to the Savage Worlds ruleset.

Why Savage Worlds? It says it is for Old School rulesets in the title?

This extension runs in the Savage Worlds ruleset so that it can be used in conjunction with the SW Library Extension Tool by Ikael while doing adventure module or reference manual layout. The reasons it says Old School in the title will become clear shortly.

What does this extension do?

It replaces the data fields in the Savage Worlds NPC sheet with data fields from our old school rulesets.

How will this benefit me?

Up until now, you either had to do all your module creation directly in the "fill in your ruleset here" ruleset and if you wanted to take advantage of the reference manual mode, you had to hand code the xml and then splice two xml files together or you could opt to use the SW Library Extension Tool in SW to give you a WYSIWYG interface, but then you had to go back to "fill in your ruleset here" to do all your npc records and then splice that into the xml code. Then, if you wanted to support a different old school ruleset, you had to do the same thing all over again with each additional ruleset.

With this extension, you can make your npc's and add them to encounters and link them into your module, all without leaving the Savage Worlds environment. Once your module is done, you can export it and have it be read properly by every old school ruleset.

Ah, but there has to be some catch. This sounds too easy. Nothing is that easy.

I'm glad you asked. Yes, there are some minor edits you will need to do to prepare the xml for reading in "fill in your ruleset here".

1) Change the target rulesets in the definition.xml file to include each ruleset you are trying to support.
2) If you built encounters, you will need to change the Savage Worlds xml tag "Combat" to be "Battle".
3) Ensure any instance of sw_referencetext, sw_referenceindex and sw_referenceinlineindex windowclasses are replaced with CoreRPG versions. If you are unsure what a CoreRPG window class is, it's not so important, just search for sw_ and remove that pre-fix.
4) There are certain variables that had to be modified in order to allow data from each ruleset to co-exist. A detailed list will be uploaded shortly. For the most part, those interested in this at the current moment already have a good idea of the details already as they took part in the discussion when I was putting this together.

Ikael
February 17th, 2017, 14:44
3) Ensure any instance of sw_referencetext, sw_referenceindex and sw_referenceinlineindex windowclasses are replaced with CoreRPG versions. If you are unsure what a CoreRPG window class is, it's not so important, just search for sw_ and remove that pre-fix.

By using SW Enhanced Library's option "Use CoreRPG windowclasses" you could skip this phase.

vodokar
February 17th, 2017, 17:49
By using SW Enhanced Library's option "Use CoreRPG windowclasses" you could skip this phase.

Ah, Great! I had missed that.

vodokar
March 2nd, 2017, 22:17
Version 1.0.1 released

I have been using this extension a lot in my own work and making additions and adjustments as needed. Didn't really keep a changelog on it. Sorry. As this extension was intended for use by developers, I have confidence it will be obvious many of the things that were changed. It is getting closer to a final state. Mostly just need to add in some details for S&W and DbD when they come available.