PDA

View Full Version : Module exporting

DimeLes
February 15th, 2017, 22:12
Hey all...So I just bought my first adventure mod (LotCS) and am looking forward to playing it. Now I've seen all sorts of info on exporting existing PDFs into mod files for FG. But can you take an FG mod and export it into a PDF (or some other legible file)? Just looking for an easy way to have the adventure and campaign guide handy on my phone/tablet so that I can read it whenever I have some time...and not be required to be tied to my PC.

Thanks in advance for the help...

Trenloe
February 15th, 2017, 22:17
I'm afraid there's no way to easily export a module for use elsewhere. The system has never been designed to do that.

Some not very good options:
- You could take screenshots. (I know, I know, that's crap - but it is an option to see all of the data/images in it's FG format).
- Make copies of module data you can copy within FG and export to XML. Then you'd be left to reading text files with lots of XML - not great, or easy or nice...

Basically though, nope. Sorry.

LordEntrails
February 15th, 2017, 22:30
Nope. Two reasons, one can be overcome, the other can't.

The first is that the architecture of the info is not in a printable format. i.e. the story entries, the encounters, the NPC's are all in order of entry, and may not be in the order that you would want them presented in in a PDF or other linear format. Because, FG does not present info in a linear format. It presents it in a linked and relationship structure.

That being said, I've been playing around with kp9911 (who's done 95% of the work) on an xml transform that would get the entries into nice formatted text. But, at the moment their order is still not the order you would want them in on a pdf.

Second being that the official modules are all encrypted and not in the "regular" FG xml format. So, something like the xml transform can't be used on them.

Of note, is with the new Reference Manual formatting that is now available, their might be someday in the future a way to read these parts of a module in a viewer or other app. But, I haven't heard of any effort to develop such an app, AND most existing modules were created before the new formatting was available so :(

DimeLes
February 16th, 2017, 02:06
Thanks for the feedback, guys...Very educational, albeit a bit disappointing. With the data being mostly relational, I sort of had a feeling but you guys know best!
The potential of the reference manual providing this functionality is intriguing and makes a lot of sense...One can only hope...
Thanks again!