PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Character Creation

underknown
February 15th, 2017, 08:02
I initially bought this program after seeing some of the features demo'd in the 5e environment, only to find that 5e looks to be the only ruleset that has all the features.

That said, the 3.5 char sheets won't even auto-populate race and class information for the core races and classes, it seems. Is there any way to write something to give it the same drag-and-drop functionality that 5e has?

I'm totally willing to try to write these things in myself if there's a way to do so, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

I want to be able to have the ability scores and health generated from rolls, auto-drop the race and class to have it modify the stats at the very least. If I need to separately add class features under abilities then so be it but it would be nice if this too were linked to level and class to auto-populate.

I see that the skills seem to work alright outside of not knowing which are class and not, which should be easy enough to record. Feats are drag-droppable but don't actually seem to do anything (eg Improved Initiative doesn't actually change the Initiative value).

Items seem to work alright in the sense that armour and shields impact AC and spell failure (not sure if this is factored into combat).

Spells don't seem to be droppable, unless abilities isn't where they're meant to go? I'm guessing this means there's no way to have a character "cast" them.

Like I said, I'd be willing to put in legwork to make any of this actually functional if I knew what to do, it's just a bit of a disappointment to drop $160 on the software only to find out that a ruleset you dislike is the only one half the basic features are supported for. I had intended to be running a 3.5 game in the near future but realistically it's going to take a lot of up-front work even to get characters off the ground like this.

Is it even possible to link any or all of the things I mentioned above in the background so the system will actually work, or would I be wasting my time trying? I can't find any way from within the program to try to write any macros or anything, but with all the modules kicking around I imagine I'm just missing something. I'm willing to input all the relevant game data by hand as long as I can reuse it in other campaigns within the system and can get a decent idea of how to connect the game data to pieces in the program actually doing things, and I'm not sure if that sort of drag and drop connectivity is easy to write in? If it is I'd be surprised that nobody has made an updated sheet already that does work this way.

swbuza
February 15th, 2017, 15:49
I feel your pain. I'm using Pathfinder, but similar issues, since it's based on the 3.5 Ruleset. I think the mindset that helped me most was to realize that FG is not a character generator. It's a VTT. I've had much better luck creating characters in PCGEN, exporting them as FG2 .xml, and importing them into FG. It's pretty easy to do that.

GarthGiantbane
February 15th, 2017, 15:59
When I first started using FG, we were playing D&D 3.5. I returned after the licensing by WotC and the automation in PC creation for 5e is indeed wondrous!

Lacking that, I still think making a character sheet in FG cannot be any harder than making a character sheet on paper. And after it's all put together, you have the Combat Tracker - the real magic of this VTT interface. I encourage you to stick with it because I'm sure it'll get easier as you have more opportunities to work with the tools.

Nylanfs
February 15th, 2017, 16:06
I also highly recommend PCGen for character creation and maintenance. :)

underknown
February 15th, 2017, 23:55
Coming back and reading this now I realize I sounded far more irate about all this than I actually felt. That's what I get for posting too late I suppose.

I'll have to take a look at PCGen - I've used Hero Lab before (mostly for Shadowrun) but I'm always open to trying different things as well.

And I agree with Garth, it's certainly still no more difficult than doing things the paper way.

That said, I've heard there are 3.5 user-created modules that have converted spells and class features into abilities, does anyone know where I'd be able to find something like that?

damned
February 16th, 2017, 00:06
Hi underknown there will be some additional drag and drop features (I believe) for 3.5e and Pathfinder in the next (3.2.4) release of Fantasy Grounds.
There will not be the character building assistance that you see in 5e where it prompts you to make the changes for that new level.
These are mainly geared towards the Pathfinder side but I believe they will be built in to the 3.5e side too.

underknown
February 16th, 2017, 05:24
Thanks for the info - do you have any insight as to which aspects will be included in that? The levelling up should be fine, I'm more curious about class / race / spells / feats at creation. Applying racial bonuses, including class features, etc.

Do you know if any of that is among the coming changes? And is there an ETA for the version release?

Trenloe
February 16th, 2017, 06:02
That said, I've heard there are 3.5 user-created modules that have converted spells and class features into abilities, does anyone know where I'd be able to find something like that?
Click the modules stick at the top of the 3.5E/Pathfinder forum.

underknown
February 16th, 2017, 06:28
Ah, thank you! Now I need to sort through all of these when I have some time.

Looks like the module ones are all on the PF side, but some of the extensions seem like they could be handy for either.