PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with connection test

underknown
February 15th, 2017, 05:24
Hi all,

New user here - I just purchased the program tonight through Steam.

Everything in the program itself seems to be running fine but I've been thrown for a bit of a loop trying to get the connection test to work.

I've given my computer a static IP and forwarded the port from my router, as well as adding a windows firewall exception to avoid blocking the port, however the Connection Test still returns "Failed" when I try to run it.

Router is Hitron Technologies either CGN3 or CGN3 ROG, not sure how to tell the difference.

Running Windows 10 fully updated.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Myrdin Potter
February 15th, 2017, 05:40
Where are you located and what ISP do you use?

Do you have a cable modem as well as the router?

underknown
February 15th, 2017, 05:56
Toronto, Canada. ISP is Compton Communications, a subsidiary of Rogers.

Just the router I think.

damned
February 15th, 2017, 06:03
Logon to the router and location Port Forwarding or Application Forwarding or something similar.

Create a new Port Forward entry and forward TCP port 1802 to 1802 on your LAN IP Address or Computer Name.

If you cant work it out send me your email address via PM and Ill give you a hand.

Myrdin Potter
February 15th, 2017, 06:11
That router maybe a combination modem and router. I can tell from a quick google that a reasonable number of users run into issues port forwarding.

Usually, if the port forward in the router is set up correctly, the issues are that the modem NAT is not port forwarding, the ISP put you on a shared IP address (happening more and more as ISP's run out of ip addresses) and windows firewall issues, including your network not being set to private.

One quick and dirty method is to try your computer in DMZ mode on your router. If that works, then it is a forwarding issue. You can also try and connect from another computer on your internal network to the computer that fails the connection test. If that fails, that often points at a firewall issue.

Or damned can help you. :-)

underknown
February 15th, 2017, 06:17
It seems I made a stupid mistake in setting up the port forwarding.

Thanks for getting me to go back and take a look at it, it helped me realize what was wrong.

All good on my end now, much appreciated!

damned
February 15th, 2017, 06:52
Good work underknown - post your port forward settings or a screenshot of that section as it may help the next person.