PDA

View Full Version : Exporting modifiers from Old Gurps Ruleset - problem

seycyrus
February 15th, 2017, 03:08
Can modifiers created in the old Gurps Ruleset be exported for use with the New ruleset?

I have been trying,

1) /export,

2) Name, (I gave it a name)

3) File name (I gave it a filename = the same as above)

4) Author (put in my name

5) Index Group (not sure what to do here - didn't touch it)

6) Merge ID (same as above)

7) Thumbnail (optional - left it blank)

8) Checked Modifiers, clicked on the circle under H (host).

Result = FG reports the export as successful. A .mod file is created in the modules folder. When I open up the new ruleset, I don't see the newly exported modifiers file when I try to load in modules.

Is there something I am missing?

ronnke
February 16th, 2017, 04:29
The steps you are using are fine, however the export created can't be seen as there are elements within the mod's xml which restrict it to the old ruleset. You will have to make some modifications to this xml.

Edit the definition.xml file contained within the mod file.

It needs to look like the example below. The bold sections are important:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root release="4|CoreRPG:3" version="3.2">
<name>GURPS Modifiers</name>
<category>Modifiers</category>
<author>Put your name here</author>
<ruleset>GURPS</ruleset>
</root>

seycyrus
February 16th, 2017, 12:26
The steps you are using are fine, however the export created can't be seen as there are elements within the mod's xml which restrict it to the old ruleset. You will have to make some modifications to this xml.

Edit the definition.xml file contained within the mod file.

It needs to look like the example below. The bold sections are important:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root release="4|CoreRPG:3" version="3.2">
<name>GURPS Modifiers</name>
<category>Modifiers</category>
<author>Put your name here</author>
<ruleset>GURPS</ruleset>
</root>

Thank you sir! I had tried to open up the .xml file and modify the ruleset name, but missed the other elements, particularly the version numbers etc.

seycyrus
February 17th, 2017, 00:55
I actually spoke too soon! I can now see the .mod file in the module library inside of FG (new ruleset), but when I open it up, nothing shows up in the modifiers.

I note that Core does not have tabs. Would the fact that in the old ruleset, my modifiers are divided up into a few different tabs, cause trouble with reading the export into the new ruleset?

ronnke
February 17th, 2017, 01:47
Yes, probably.

You will have to do an export, as a "test" case, using the new ruleset, and then manually alter the xml from your old ruleset export to match the format of the new ruleset.

seycyrus
February 17th, 2017, 18:38
...You will have to do an export, as a "test" case, using the new ruleset, and then manually alter the xml from your old ruleset export to match the format of the new ruleset.

Thank you for your help. In addition to the changes to the definititions.xml file, I had to make changes in the db.xml.

1) I opened up the old ruleset and exported the modifiers.

2) I opened up the new ruleset created a few modifers to create a template, and exported these modifiers.

NOTE: In the old ruleset .mod file (in the db.xml), the modifiers are listed under <mod>, while in the new ruleset .mod file (again in db.xml), <modifiers> is used.

NOTE: I **think** that under coreRPG, modifiers are no longer organizable into separate tabs. Therefore, <Category label ...> is no longer used.

NOTE: The old ruleset identifies the name of modifier using <name type ="String"> ... , while the coreRPG uses <label type="String" > ...

3) I did a find and replace every instance of "name type" with "label type" in the old ruleset export.

4) I then copy-pasted, all of the modifiers from the old ruleset export db.xml to the new ruleset db.xml, making sure to exclude the <Category label= ... parts. In other words, just the names and bonuses of the modifiers, not the tab-names.

5) Saved it, zipped it, changed extension back to mod. Placed in modules folder.

5) Modifiers module opens up and shows 110+ modifiers. Yay!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 18th, 2017, 21:29
I made this, following the tutorial of seycyrus.

But the question is: How to put or made de list drag n drop? (How to put the icon?) (how enable?)

seycyrus
February 19th, 2017, 02:39
But the question is: How to put or made de list drag n drop? (How to put the icon?) (how enable?)

I am not sure i understand your question. Are you asking if the modifiers that are in the main window can be dragged onto a character sheet? If so, the answer (as i just discovered) is, Not at this time.

Or is the question something else?

ronnke
February 19th, 2017, 03:24

Why do you have weapon accuracy as a modifier in your modifier list. Why not use the Acc mod in the weapon stats?

seycyrus
February 19th, 2017, 03:37
Why do you have weapon accuracy as a modifier in your modifier list. Why not use the Acc mod in the weapon stats?
Because it was exported from the old gurps ruleset. If that functionality existed before, I was not aware of it.

ronnke
February 19th, 2017, 03:39
Because it was exported from the old gurps ruleset. If that functionality existed before, I was not aware of it.

I was referring to Yako's modifiers list as seen in his screenshot.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 19th, 2017, 13:50
Ronnke I had export the old modifier list and I wanna made the list drag n drop, the list with the empty square

Trenloe
February 19th, 2017, 16:17
Ronnke I had export the old modifier list and I wanna made the list drag n drop, the list with the empty square
Modifiers need to be opened in the modifier box. Using the link from the library won't work.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 19th, 2017, 16:37
But, is there no way to turn into drag and drop?
For the interesting thing would be to have the Module with the modifiers and the possibility of inserting new ones, but without getting polluted.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2017, 17:03
But, is there no way to turn into drag and drop?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36043-GURPS-4E-Core-Ruleset&p=322262&viewfull=1#post322262

seycyrus
February 20th, 2017, 14:25
Note, there is an error with my method of hack-n-paste'ing the exported modifier module. While it works well on the GM end, the players do not see the modifiers, Discovered this last night.

ronnke
February 20th, 2017, 14:35
Note, there is an error with my method of hack-n-paste'ing the exported modifier module. While it works well on the GM end, the players do not see the modifiers, Discovered this last night.

Did you enable sharing with the players from the modules interface?

seycyrus
February 20th, 2017, 14:44
Did you enable sharing with the players from the modules interface?

All the eyeballs are visible on the GM side, if that is what you meant.

Or do you mean I should have selected an option when I first did the module export?

Or do you mean something entirely different?

ronnke
February 20th, 2017, 14:47
In the modules section (GM's side), you need to make sure there is a green check next to the book icon. This will ensure players have access to the module. On the players side, the players will have to go into the modules interface and also open the book icon.

Did that make sense?

seycyrus
February 20th, 2017, 17:41
In the modules section (GM's side), you need to make sure there is a green check next to the book icon. ...
Did that make sense?

Yess, perfectly. I had forgotten about the book. Doh! Thanks, once again.