PDA

View Full Version : Best method for handling confirming criticals

Nilram the Grey
February 14th, 2017, 20:26
Ok, we use confirmation of criticals in our game with max damage plus die roll to determine bonus damage. We roll to hit and on a 20, we roll to hit again. If the second hit succeeds we hold shift when rolling damage to force critical damage. I have two questions:

Can we hold something down to tell FG not to expend ammo on the confirmation roll if the attack was ranged?

If we had an effect that expires on the next roll, is there any way to get that effect back to apply to the confirmation roll as well?

FYI, we are using Theogeek's Improved Critical so that when we do confirm a critical the first die/dice are maxed out. That handles the damage part pretty well.

I tried to code this in LUA, but could never get documentation defining how all the different data structures are regestering things and how to trigger an event like a confirmation die roll. I've got my campaigns GM off the ground now, so I might have time in the future to go back and dig into it some more. I even tried to use 4e as a reference since this is 4e style criticals, but there is too much difference in the ruleset coding to make it a simple translation.

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2017, 21:40
I think the answer is no to both your questions unless you write some kind of extension to do it.

damned
February 14th, 2017, 22:36
As simple as those things are for the human brain to handle the computer is doing what it is told and expending ammo and expiring effects when conditions are met - it will involve recoding. If you had an effect that gave you a modifier use the modifier window to reapply the aggregate bonus or reapply the effect (it will immediately expire again). The player will have to also remember to adjust ammo.

Nickademus
February 14th, 2017, 23:20
Can we hold something down to tell FG not to expend ammo on the confirmation roll if the attack was ranged?

If we had an effect that expires on the next roll, is there any way to get that effect back to apply to the confirmation roll as well?.

This is not exactly what you want, but it should be better than nothing.

Make two generic attacks, one for melee and one for ranged. Don't set an ammunition number for the ranged. Don't set an attack bonus for either attack.
When you roll a critical threat, put the modifier that was applied to the roll (which will include all the temp effects) into the modifier box. Then roll the generic attack against the target. If the confirm hits, you can do the Shift+Damage to crit.