PDA

View Full Version : Paid Module Updates

Nilram the Grey
February 14th, 2017, 13:44
When a module I purchased is updated does that overwrite my edits? Something seems to be happening where my customizations are disappearing. Mostly I'm just fixing letter tokens to something more interesting, but I have also tried to update parcels and that seems to get erased from time to time to.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 16:00
They module updates should only overwrite changes you have made within a campaign if you select "Revert" / "Revert Changes". Either to the entry that has been updated or the entire module. Token though might behave differently that other object types, as they are handled a bit differently...

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 18:10
Expanding on what LordEntrails said (which is 100% correct). When you "edit" a module, you don't actually change the underlying module - this is always read-only. "Edits" are only available within the campaign where you make the edits - so if you loaded up a different campaign, you'd see the vanilla module. Also, as mentioned, "Revert Changes" will remove any in-campaign edits you may have done.

Nilram the Grey
February 14th, 2017, 19:45
Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely not doing revert changes. Maybe I'm not saving things correctly. I'll dig into that a bit. I'm definitely having issues with loosing token assignments.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 19:58
Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely do revert changes. Maybe I'm not saving things correctly. I'll dig into that a bit. I'm definitely having issues with loosing token assignments.
So if you do Revert Changes, then you are telling FG to get rid of the changes you made :) Doesn't matter if you have saved the campaign or not.

What you can do, is make your changes, and then export your campaign. This will make a module of your changes. You can then revert changes on the original module to get the updates, then you can open your module which will then make the updates to the original module.

Nilram the Grey
February 14th, 2017, 20:13
Sorry. That was a typo. I'm not reverting changes.

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 20:13
What you can do, is make your changes, and then export your campaign.
Note - there are gotchas with this. To be able to export from a campaign, the whole record needs to be copied to the campaign data, not just edited in the module. i.e. you need to drag/drop the entries you want to edit so that they are created as campaign records, which can then be edited and exported to a module. The big gotcha here is that these are new records and any links setup within the module to point at these entries will stay pointing to the (unedited) module entries, not the copied entries you've created.

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 20:14
Sorry. That was a typo. I'm not reverting changes.
The edits you are making to the module - are these all within the same FG campaign? Not in different campaigns?

Nilram the Grey
February 14th, 2017, 20:36
Yes. They are all in the same campaign. Let me do some digging and the next time I get a module update, I'll let people know what happened. I don't know how else to test this and I don't want to waste you guys valuable time. The token loss part I'm sure happened and apparently that may be expected. I thought I edited parcels too, but then I'm not sure anymore.

Is there a way to test this? If so I'll do so and let you know.

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 21:20
Any edits you make to a module are stored in XML files in <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name>\moduledb You'll see a XML file for each modified module (with the module name).

You can test by making some changes to some module records (make sure you see the book & quill icon after the record in the campaign data list - which means you've edited the record) and then exit FG. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data#Campaign_Data_List Go to the above mentioned directory and see if there is a XML file for the module you edited.