PDA

View Full Version : noob player, why did I spend money on this?

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 00:59
Yeah, I paid for the DM pack via DriveThruRPG.com not realizing That any material I purchased for FFGII I would not be able to use, or even view...
because I did not buy ULTIMATE. Also, as it turns out - I can not DM - unless I have ultimate.
So I feel that I was tricked into buying a program and supplements that I have never been able to use.

So...
Is anyone here actually gaming?
Any room for a new player?
Anybody able to validate why I should ever drop one red cent on this platform, when freebie mode is well, free?

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 01:01
I would really like to play a game. if this doesn't work...
Well, I am out some cash.

JohnD
February 14th, 2017, 01:08
A little confusing. What precisely did you buy?

Noting your Join Date of August 2013... is this a recent purchase or one made 3+ years ago?

You can DM with the Standard license.

A little silly questions... yes thousands are playing... there invariably is always room somewhere for a new player... not sure what free mode you're referring to but if it's the demo version of FG, well with that you can play in a game run by a DM with an Ultimate license.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for... but it would help to get a little better description of what your issue/challenge/concern is. What specific issue(s) are you experiencing?

Andraax
February 14th, 2017, 01:09
You don't need ultimate to GM.

dulux-oz
February 14th, 2017, 01:18
Yeah, I paid for the DM pack via DriveThruRPG.com not realizing That any material I purchased for FFGII I would not be able to use, or even view...

I'm a little confused over this - to my knowledge there is nothing that is avalaible for Fantasy Grounds (ie DLC) that can't be used or viewed (no matter if the license is Standard or Ultimate).

From your post I assume you've got the Standard License. If this is so then you can Play, GM, and view anything/everything - if you're GMing then your players will need a Standard license as well. You probably know this, but I'll be explicit for anyone else reading this: the ONLY difference between the Standard License and the Ultimate License is that if you GM your Players will need a Standard (or Ultimate) if you only have a Standard; if you have an Ultimate anyone can play in your games.

... Also, as it turns out - I can not DM - unless I have ultimate.

Not true - see above

So I feel that I was tricked into buying a program and supplements that I have never been able to use.

I think that this is a misunderstanding/miscommunication - nobody sets out to "trick" anyone. We'll help get you sorted, if you like, but if you feel strongly about this then drop a line to SmiteWorks - Doug is usually pretty good about things like this (not that I'm in a position to promise anything).

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 01:19
My list of purchases:
Disposable Heroes: Sci-Fi Aliens Token Pack for Fantasy Grounds II
Savage Worlds: Eye of Kilquato for Fantasy Grounds II
Daring Tales of the Space Lanes - Space Pulp Rules for Fantasy Grounds II
Savage Worlds Deluxe Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II
and...

Fantasy Grounds II - Lite License
Seems I was ripped off.

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 01:23
oh well, I have no idea why I bought a LITE license, nor what a lite license entails.
I am sure that it MUST be a better value than the free demo, but I haven't been able to use this thing ever, not even once!

Was I ripped off? where is the LITE license and what does it entail?
Why can't I view any of the content I purchased?
Why can't I set up a game?
How can I DM?

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 01:37
Can you point us to a link for this "Lite" license you bought? When I look at the FG store, the only two options are "Standard" and "Ultimate". See here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 01:42
Can you point us to a link for this "Lite" license you bought? When I look at the FG store, the only two options are "Standard" and "Ultimate". See here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/

uhm, let us see.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/2634/Fantasy-Grounds-II--Lite-License?it=1

That is the link. Drive thru RPG says it is a dead link.

I supposedly have: v.3.0.8 PLAYER

If I paid for a standard equivalent, I definitely don't have any of the features.
I can't even make a character...

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 01:44
what bugs me was that I paid for an upgrade too! yet, there seems to be no record of the upgrade, nor any purchases I made from the store here.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2017, 01:48
Chad,

You definitely have not been ripped off. Either we just need to get you configured correctly (if your orders were from a while ago), or some pointers on where to find your DLC may be needed. There may be a couple more steps if your order was made a few years ago. If at any time you need more direct help, you can always write us at [email protected].

Let me respond to some specific items in case it helps:

* The Lite license has been discontinued, but should still work fine. Just enter the Lite license key in the License Key field of the FG Settings, and them update.

* The Lite license was always a player-only license, and can not be used to host games.

* There is an upgrade to Full/Standard button on the FG launch screen, if you want to upgrade your FG license to one which can host games.

* If you go to the FG store and do not see your products in the order history, then you should contact [email protected]

* Once you verify your purchases show up in your FG Store History, you will need to enter your FG forum login in the FG Settings (and subsequently update) in order to get your purchases downloaded.

* Once your purchases are downloaded, any game system DLC will show up as options in the launcher. If you are using a Lite license, they will only be accessible via the Manage Characters option. If you have a Standard or Ultimate license, you will be able to create campaigns for that game system.

* Other DLC, such as adventures and token packs, can be activated within a campaign that you are hosting by using the Modules button in the Library and Token box, respectively.

* If you just made these purchases, and they were not what you expected, please let us know and we can get you refunded.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 01:51
So note that you bought that many years ago. That license hasn't been available for more than 2 years. It is a Player license, as it clearly shows, and not a GM license. I don't know just what functionality it allows. But, you certainly don't need the Ultimate license to GM. You can GM with either the Standard (Full) or Ultimate license.

You can email [email protected] and they can tell you for certain what the capabilities of the Lite license is and if you can buy an upgrade or if you would need the Standard license.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2017, 01:51
I just saw that you mentioned that you bought an upgrade, but do not see it.

The FG store orders did not require a login several years ago (but they do now), so not all orders are linked to the FG ID like we do now. When you send a note to [email protected] to inquire about the products and upgrade you purchased, please include any e-mail addresses you may have used around the time you made those orders as well as which store you bought them from (FG Store, RPGNow, Steam, etc.), and we can attempt to look up your orders.

Regards,
JPG

seycyrus
February 14th, 2017, 01:56
what bugs me was that I paid for an upgrade too! yet, there seems to be no record of the upgrade, nor any purchases I made from the store here.

So, back in 2013 in your last post, you didn't mention anything about an upgrade. When did you upgrade? What have you been doing for the past 3.5 years?

What games would you be interested in playing? What time zone etc?

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 04:41
Chad,

You definitely have not been ripped off. Either we just need to get you configured correctly (if your orders were from a while ago), or some pointers on where to find your DLC may be needed. There may be a couple more steps if your order was made a few years ago. If at any time you need more direct help, you can always write us at [email protected].

Let me respond to some specific items in case it helps:
* The Lite license has been discontinued, but should still work fine. Just enter the Lite license key in the License Key field of the FG Settings, and them update.
* The Lite license was always a player-only license, and can not be used to host games.
* There is an upgrade to Full/Standard button on the FG launch screen, if you want to upgrade your FG license to one which can host games.
* If you go to the FG store and do not see your products in the order history, then you should contact [email protected]
* Once you verify your purchases show up in your FG Store History, you will need to enter your FG forum login in the FG Settings (and subsequently update) in order to get your purchases downloaded.
* Once your purchases are downloaded, any game system DLC will show up as options in the launcher. If you are using a Lite license, they will only be accessible via the Manage Characters option. If you have a Standard or Ultimate license, you will be able to create campaigns for that game system.
* Other DLC, such as adventures and token packs, can be activated within a campaign that you are hosting by using the Modules button in the Library and Token box, respectively.
* If you just made these purchases, and they were not what you expected, please let us know and we can get you refunded.
Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
JPG

Okay,
The lite license doesn't work, and does not allow me any access to content I have paid for/have as shown in posts above.
How much did this product cost me? Do you know?
If I can get the exact same functionality from the damn demo version,
then why would you EVER sell a "LITE license"?

I definitely did get ripped off!
No big deal. I don't even know why I tried to use this thing again. Rolld20 isn't going to demand $100 upfront (or whatever) and then leave me with a bit of useless vaporware to be "Just a player".

Talk to me when you have figured out why I am unhappy, but only if you intend to fix it. Let me tell ya something you already know, "You don't have to." It has been three years. I figured I had been screwed then just as much as I am now. so what difference does it make?

I was hoping to DM back then...
I asked for help back then...

The answer I was told, now that I remember I was told: "YOU NEED TO BUY THE ULTIMATE TO HAVE ANY FUNCTIONALITY OR TO EVEN VIEW ADDITIONAL PURCHASED CONTENT."
Pretty good reason to forget this thing for three years, no?

I guess I am out some cash. Oh well. just don't ask me to give any positive reviews. bye bye!

tsemana
February 14th, 2017, 04:47
wow.. just.. wow..

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2017, 04:48
It seems like you already made up your mind, before you started posting, because nothing anyone has said has made you tone down your posts. I have offered points to help you, and asked you to contact support to get help to access your content. If you truly would like it, the community and the company have both offered to help.

The Lite license still allows people to play on a game hosted by a Standard license, which was what it was always sold as.

Hope you find what you are looking for,
JPG

vodokar
February 14th, 2017, 04:58

You were not told that you need the Ultimate Version to have any Functionality. You were told, directly by the owner of the company, you needed a Standard License to DM, but you would be able to play using what you had. You replied back that everything was working properly and your problem was fixed. Now, three years later, you accuse SmiteWorks of cheating you out of your money and not helping you.

The truth is, both then, and now, not only have several members of this community immediately tried to help you, but so did employees of the company. Fantasy Grounds is absolutely not Vaporware. It is the premier virtual tabletop on the market actively being used by thousands each week.

If you need help getting it up and running, it was offered. If you want to try to get a refund, you were told how to do so. But, leave the attitude at the door.

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 05:13

You were not told that you need the Ultimate Version to have any Functionality. You were told, directly by the owner of the company, you needed a Standard License to DM, but you would be able to play using what you had. You replied back that everything was working properly and your problem was fixed. Now, three years later, you accuse SmiteWorks of cheating you out of your money and not helping you.

The truth is, both then, and now, not only have several members of this community immediately tried to help you, but so did employees of the company. Fantasy Grounds is absolutely not Vaporware. It is the premier virtual tabletop on the market actively being used by thousands each week.

If you need help getting it up and running, it was offered. If you want to try to get a refund, you were told how to do so. But, leave the attitude at the door.

Yeah, read that Jpeg again. I had given up and just quit. I left.
and Now, I remember why.
I paid for multiple products and...

I have never been able to use a single one of them.
So, sucks to be me, huh.

Everybody's willing to help? really?
what am I doing wrong, I press update and the only reply I get is "ERROR".
I can not even get past the start page. I can not make a character for any system.

I would love to join a pathfinder game.
Yet, it seems to me I am better off deleting this program.

dulux-oz
February 14th, 2017, 05:39
OK Chad, so what would you like to happen?

Without any rancor, assume that we're all a bit slow on the uptake, you tell us exactly what you would like to happen so that we can help you.

As I see it you've got a couple of options:

Ask for a refund
Play as a player in a game with your current License
Upgrade you Lite License to a Full (or if you really want it, an Ultimate- not that you need an Ultimate to GM)
Or something else I haven't thought of

So please, let us know and we'll get you sorted to the best of our ability - but now that you've raised your complaint/issue, a "less-than-friendly" attitude is not going to help anyone.

vodokar
February 14th, 2017, 05:40
If the issue is with a bad install, that can be fixed. If the issue is with a bad key code, that can be fixed. If you really are so unhappy that you want your money back, well, I'm not going to speak for the company, but I believe they would rather you walk away happy than pissed off. I've seen Mr Davison do that very thing in the past. He's a good man.

None of the issues can be resolved if you just walk away for another 3 years, however. Why not at least try to work with the people trying to help. And yes, they really are trying to help. And yes, if a solution can be found, you will more than likely be happy that you were persistent to get things resolved. You have nothing to lose for trying.

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 05:53
Yeah, read that Jpeg again. I had given up and just quit. I left.
and Now, I remember why.
I paid for multiple products and...

I have never been able to use a single one of them.
So, sucks to be me, huh.

Everybody's willing to help? really?
what am I doing wrong, I press update and the only reply I get is "ERROR".
I can not even get past the start page. I can not make a character for any system.

I would love to join a pathfinder game.
Yet, it seems to me I am better off deleting this program.

yup, found it.
[QUOTE=ddavison;155995] You will need a Full version or higher license of Fantasy Grounds in order to take full advantage of the Savage Worlds ruleset. A lite version will allow you to access local copies of all the modules when you connect to a GM running Savage Worlds.[QUOTE]

okay, seems I was told that I had to buy more to make it work, or to even view content I had paid for...
*LIKE I HAVE BEEN SAYING*

Everyone says, e-mail support. What? Why? I am writing to DEVELOPERS in this very THREAD!
incase you are not capable of understanding me:

1. I do want to use this program, I would love to play some games.
2. What would I like to try? pathfinder. I would like to make an unchained rogue...
Unless I need to BUY MORE CONTENT that I can't ever use/see... then I go back to square one.
Care to guess how happy that will make me?
3. I am in Arizona. I have a pathfinder society number.
4. I do not use Hero maker, I *SHOULD* be able to make a character with this program-
But I have never been able to. Can any one help guide me through the process?

Or are all of you going to insist that you would help me if only you knew what I was asking...
Perhaps my tone is one you can not understand...
It is called, dissatisfied customer who feels ignored, because the program does nothing, and when I ask why?
the response is, "PAY US MORE MONEY"...

WHAT TONE SHOULD I HAVE!?!

vodokar
February 14th, 2017, 06:12
Just to be clear: Moon Wizard is an employee of SmiteWorks. You spoke to him. In the past, you had spoken to Doug Davison. He is the owner.

The rest of us are not employees. We are customers. If you see developer in our signature, that is because we program extensions and rulesets as side-projects in our spare time, unpaid, because we like to give back to the community or make something that doesn't exist yet. It doesn't imply we work for the company. So, in all fairness, if you must feel to vent anger, then direct it to the company and not to your fellow customers that are merely trying to help. I can tell you that I have known each one of these guys that responded to you for many years. They are very sincere.

Also, to be clear: You can play with only a lite license. If you wish to DM (and that means be able to view the DM content, such as the adventure modules you were referring to), you do need to upgrade to standard. But, give Smiteworks a chance to work with you. Given the circumstances, it's possible they might offer to help with that. It is obviously late and you are not likely to receive any official response again tonight.

As for making a character. Even with the light license, you can do that. Assuming you can open Fantasy Grounds, you click on "Manage Characters" and then select PFRPG from the list and then click "Start". If you can't open Fantasy Grounds yet, let's wait and see what can be done tomorrow to get that resolved for you.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2017, 06:18
Actually, I actually develop the software and help with forum support, but I don't handle the store and license issues. This is why I asked you to send a note to [email protected]. Doug monitors that e-mail address, and handles all the store and license issues. Plus we'll need personal information from you to resolve your issue, such as the e-mail addresses you may have used before, as well as the license key you are trying to use.

Let me respond to your new items:

1. To play in games, you should check out the LFG forum as well as our new Discord server LFG channel. Send a message to GMs who are advertising games and apply to their games. Also, you should consider trying to get involved in some PFS (Pathfinder Society games), since they are usually easier to get into being one-shot style games with persistent characters. The license you have can be used to play in any game.

2. The Core SRD data is available for Pathfinder, and many more data modules are available in the Pathfinder forum. Only SRD data can be legally provided for free. Up until a couple weeks ago, Paizo had not licensed anyone another than Hero Lab to use their data. Since we just got the license a few weeks ago, we're working on releasing the Core rulebooks and several adventure paths for Pathfinder in another few weeks, but the price for those data packages is set by Paizo, not by us.

2. (cont.) None of the data is required to play Pathfinder, since the base game system framework files and character sheet comes with the base license. If you want to use data from outside the core SRD, you can just type it in, just like you would write it on a character sheet.

3. See 1. for where to find games.

4. We have never marketed Fantasy Grounds as a full-blown character manager, like Hero Lab. As can be seen by the price that they charge for their product, it is actually a very complex product to build. We provide some simple drag and drop capability to help speed up filling out your character sheet, but we do not track changes, provide rollback of levels nor verify that the items you add to your character are legal. However, we do provide an import option from both Hero Lab and PCGen, if you want to build your Pathfinder character there, and then import into FG.

Again, I'm not sure why you have come back after three years with an immediate dissatisfied customer approach to this matter, but we are trying to help you.

(And yes, it is late here. ;)

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
February 14th, 2017, 08:45
Lite licenses were clearly marked as player only, so I'm confused as to your confusion. The right answer in this case certainly would have been, and continues to be, upgrade to Standard license. This allows you to GM games as well as play in them.

The attitude really, you're only hurting yourself with it because there are again, like there were back in 2013, people willing and trying to help. Back then you posted issue resolved... logically the assumption is everything was OK.

With Lite you can use Manage Characters and create a PC for export into a game you'd be playing in.

If you have Savage Worlds products, you'll need the Savage Worlds ruleset to access those. It is a solid bargain.

damned
February 14th, 2017, 09:00
Back in 2013 the description for Lite License read:

Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop for pen & paper role-playing games. It provides all the tools you need to play your favorite RPG online, including the dice, sheets, tokens, maps, notes, the whole works. 3.5E fantasy rules are supported out of the box, but Fantasy Grounds can be customized and extended to suit almost any RPG. Additional rulesets, token packs, map modules and campaigns can be created and shared with friends.

This package contains the LITE version of Fantasy Grounds. With it you can:

Join games as a player
Create characters locally to take with you into a game session
** Some rulesets only allow character generation when connected to a host

If the product wont update you probably have the license key entered incorrectly.
Enter the product key in the first license field and run the update.
You wont be able to create games with a player only license.
You can still today upgrade your lite license to a Standard License for approx $24.
If you already bought an upgrade do as JPG says and email support with any/all email addresses you might have completed that transaction with and they will get you squared away.

I reckon you are 3 years too late for a refund so make the most of the situation and work with the good people here to work thru your issues.

Riley
February 14th, 2017, 14:00
hey i recently started with a standard as well with a complete character bundle. Dulux's tutorials were the best thing for me to get started! he is extremely thorough and teaches you each and everything you need to know one step at a time. try his videos and I think you will see immediate progress. there are many due to his broad coverage but each one will help you set up FG and honestly i would recommend just taking the time to watch each one! i can't express how much they helped me!

Daemini
February 14th, 2017, 14:06
edit: Changed my mind about comment :)

Talyn
February 14th, 2017, 14:40
I dunno, since SmiteWorks themselves would be handling a rebate if needed, they have the means to do so if they can retrieve the records from OneBookShelf.

@ChadHale the group here really is a friendly and helpful bunch, as are the employees of SmiteWorks. But you have to let them help and not just put up walls of anger pushing them away. I agree the situation stinks and I'm glad they got rid of that Lite license which is really unnecessary now if you just want to play. I'm a PFS player too, and aside from the PFS forums here to get a game, there's the calendar link at the top of the page, the Fantasy Grounds Discord, the PFS Discord and that PFS Google Groups to find games both here and Roll20. Pay more money for Pathfinder? Well, that depends. SmiteWorks just recently got an official license with Paizo so official Pathfinder reference (the Core Rulebook and Rise of the Runelords will be first) content will be appearing in the store. Obviously Unchained is not in that initial list so making an Unchained Class would require doing it all manually still, the way everyone's been doing it for years since there was never a license. Which also means the existing SRD content is also fine to manually build things instead of paying more for official content if you don't wish to do so. Plenty of players and GMs have been doing this for years. Pathfinder has a lot of "fiddly bits" so it's time-consuming initially both here and on your paper character sheet but once you have it setup, it's easy to play.

@everyone else remember how I keep saying there's so much misinformation out there that people think they "have to spend $100 for the Ultimate license to use Fantasy Grounds? Are they crazy? Roll20 here I come!" blahblahblah? Read all of Chad's comments; that's exactly the impression he's been under too. Told ya so.

Kozmo
February 14th, 2017, 15:06
Just purchased the single player pack last night($40). I'm trying to get in a game. Saturday nights CST till wee hours of the morning. Confused I am.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 15:47
Just purchased the single player pack last night($40). I'm trying to get in a game. Saturday nights CST till wee hours of the morning. Confused I am.
Hey Kozmo. Welcome to the community :)

What all are you confused about? We can be sure to help point you in the right direction. Also, you may want to post an intro in the the LFG forums by starting your own thread. Wouldn't want it to get lost in this thread here.

Zhern
February 14th, 2017, 15:55
I do have to agree with Talyn regarding the misinformation. I've heard it from quite a few people that use Roll20 as well. Their choice was based on what they heard versus actually determining what could be done with FG with very little, if any, investment. I've since corrected their misconceptions but once people believe something it is hard to change their mind...even with empirical evidence.

Also, that is a lot of anger and frustration. Just a hint, but you catch more flies with honey rather than napalm. People are genuinely trying to help here.

I would also like to give Riley a kudos for injecting something extremely positive. We need more of that.

Kozmo
February 14th, 2017, 15:58
Getting in contact with a member was the first goal. Now that I've done that, hello. Seeing the dungeon master was a breath of fresh air btw.
Now, I'd like to post when I'm available to play. I could do that in a personal thread or is there a "pool of players" area I can jump in? I'd also like to speak with someone. I have a Discord account kozmo#4428(just got that 3-4 days ago but it seams like people are using others. Any suggestions?
lets start with those.

much respect and thanks in advance

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 16:10
Getting in contact with a member was the first goal. Now that I've done that, hello. Seeing the dungeon master was a breath of fresh air btw.
Now, I'd like to post when I'm available to play. I could do that in a personal thread or is there a "pool of players" area I can jump in? I'd also like to speak with someone. I have a Discord account kozmo#4428(just got that 3-4 days ago but it seams like people are using others. Any suggestions?
lets start with those.

much respect and thanks in advance
Check out this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25750-Template-for-Player(s)-Looking-for-Group-Listings

Then post your availability (including timezone), game systems, etc in your own thread in the LFG forum here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-LFG-Looking-for-Group

There are two Discord servers you can join.
See this thread for the official server; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36377-New-Official-Discord-Server
The community server is here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26556-Discord-server-for-the-Fantasy-Grounds-Community

There is also a TeamSpeak community server here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server&highlight=discord+server

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 16:14
I dunno, since SmiteWorks themselves would be handling a rebate if needed, they have the means to do so if they can retrieve the records from OneBookShelf.

1) okay, I will uninstall, download the demo, enter my key, attempt update.
2) I'll try the steps mentioned to make a character. I am certain there must be more to it than this.
this program is not noob friendly, and I would appreciate any guidance I can get.

I am not joking. IS there a written guide to using this thing?

3)
@everyone else remember how I keep saying there's so much misinformation out there that people think they "have to spend $100 for the Ultimate license to use Fantasy Grounds? Are they crazy? Roll20 here I come!" blahblahblah? Read all of Chad's comments; that's exactly the impression he's been under too. Told ya so.

I know that I was under the impression that I would be able to view content of the additional materials I have paid for.
I know that I am under the impression that I can make characters and add token packs etc.
I was under the impression that I have already paid for something that works...
*what that is and how it is supposedly better than the demo... F'd If I know. I have never been able to use it.

*Seems I did talk with the owner 3 years ago, my first 12 or so posts were requests for help, it also seems that the OWNERS reply was:
"You can not use it unless you buy ultimate."
My reply is, "I ALREADY BOUGHT STUFF!"
His reply, "YOU CAN'T USE IT unless you buy more"...
My reply, "I ALREADY BOUGHT STUFF!"
His reply, "YOU CAN'T USE IT, unless you buy more"...

So, why am I angry? why are others "misinformed"?
BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT HAS BEEN GOING ON!

Nice big shinny adverts...
worthless, non-working, vaporware, is what you get.
but hey, don't worry, you can E-mail support...
I WAS TALKING TO THE OWNER!

What the **** over! how do you people not understand what I am saying?

Kozmo
February 14th, 2017, 16:14
Thank you. I'll work on that now.

Talyn
February 14th, 2017, 16:43
There are two Discord servers you can join.
See this thread for the official server; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36377-New-Official-Discord-Server
The community server is here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26556-Discord-server-for-the-Fantasy-Grounds-Community

Now that there's an official Discord, I wouldn't bother referring anyone to the community one. It's slowly being abandoned on a daily basis since the official Discord has become quite popular and active.

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 16:57
Their choice was based on what they heard versus actually determining what could be done with FG with any purchase.
Also, that is a lot of anger and frustration.

This is not what I have "Heard" it is what I am dealing with. I do not have a misinformed opinion. I AM A GOD DAMN CUSTOMER WHO WENT SO FAR AS TO TALK WITH THE GOD DAMNED OWNER!

and you all think everything is just honky dory, you all say "contact customer support", you all think I am going about all this the wrong way...

I-WAS-TALKING-WITH-THE-OWNER!

THAT-WAS-HIS-ANSWER!

How am I wrong? that WAS (*and still is) my experience with this program.

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 17:22
Great, I did the reinstall. entered my code. and ta-dah. Update? NO! ERROR!

Zhern
February 14th, 2017, 17:24
In case you missed it, I was agreeing with Talyn and people that I know concerning misconceptions. I didn't suggest that you had "heard" anything or had the wrong opinion. Directing your anger at other customers or those trying to assist you isn't productive.

And I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not, but if you do contact support, you will get personal support instead of the offered community help, which really seems to be exacerbating your anger and frustration. The suggestion to contact support is so that you can get your issues rectified, get a refund, or some other form of satisfaction. Interactions from three years ago really don't apply today as there have been a lot of changes to Fantasy Grounds and the licensing model. You probably don't care to hear that anymore but your best option is to do as is suggested.

Royalwolf
February 14th, 2017, 17:29
shouldn't this thread be in a customer support forum rather than LFG?

*shrug*

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 17:32
HOW WILL CONTACTING SUPPORT BE ANY DIFFERENT? I WAS TALKING WITH THE OWNER!
I just shot them (support) an e-mail with my code and e-mail. Let's see what the response is.

Andraax
February 14th, 2017, 17:34
*Seems I did talk with the owner 3 years ago, my first 12 or so posts were requests for help, it also seems that the OWNERS reply was:
"You can not use it unless you buy ultimate."

Doug never said that in that thread. He informed you that you had a player license, and to GM you would need to upgrade to a GM license. You are not required to own Ultimate to GM, many people GM games without an Ultimate license.

Andraax
February 14th, 2017, 17:35
HOW WILL CONTACTING SUPPORT BE ANY DIFFERENT? I WAS TALKING WITH THE OWNER!
I just shot them (support) an e-mail with my code and e-mail. Let's see what the response is.

Because personal information will never be posted in the forums. Debugging installation & license problems frequently requires the exchange of personal information.

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 17:42
there is more to read in this thread and that one.
I have sent an e-mail to customer support.
Why?
I do not know.
I HAD TALKED TO THE OWNER
I copied and pasted his statement earlier in this thread.
It says exactly what I am saying.
(You bought stuff, great!
Me)it isn't working.
(well you need to upgrade to be able to DM, and any additional content you bought...
(you can't see any of it until you BUY THE ULTIMATE, or manage to get into a game with someone who HAS.
Me)uhm, this doesn't work.
(Well, you need to buy more stuff...

How is any of that flying over your head, It's in freaking PRINT.
I e-mailed support. Seeing as how I had been talking with the OWNER,
I have no expectations that the conduct of support will be any different what-so-ever!
HELLO? CAN YOU COMPUTE THAT?
how is this going to be any different?

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 17:46
Great, I did the reinstall. entered my code. and ta-dah. Update? NO! ERROR!
Sorry you're having issues. Could you please give us details of the error you got? Then we can try to help you. Thanks.

ChadHale
February 14th, 2017, 17:49
the small update window says "ERROR" and then closes. that is all, End of Line.

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 17:51
IS there a written guide to using this thing?
Download the user guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf

Individual pages of the User Guide are available in the Wiki - click the "Wiki" link at the top of this page.

There's also a link in the Wiki to the videos page where you'll find lots of great intro videos.

Andraax
February 14th, 2017, 17:56
(You bought stuff, great!
Me)it isn't working.
(well you need to upgrade to be able to DM, and any additional content you bought...
(you can't see any of it until you BUY THE ULTIMATE, or manage to get into a game with someone who HAS.
Me)uhm, this doesn't work.
(Well, you need to buy more stuff...

He said "You will need a Full version or higher license of Fantasy Grounds in order to take full advantage of the Savage Worlds ruleset." Nowhere does he say an Ultimate license is required. The "Full" version is now called "Standard".

Trenloe
February 14th, 2017, 18:07
the small update window says "ERROR" and then closes. that is all, End of Line.
I know you're super frustrated at this point, but could you try the following and provide details of when things fail, if you're getting any specific errors and at which point. Even if you've done this before, please go through these steps so we can get a clear idea of where the issue is:

Uninstall any previous installations of Fantasy Grounds.
Download the latest web installer from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe Even if you've downloaded before, please download this again, just to be sure.
Run the FGWebInstall.exe just downloaded in step #2.
Click "Agree" on the first window that appears.
The following settings window should appear:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17909]

In this "settings" window perform the following steps:

Enter your LITE license code in the top "License Key" field. This key is in the form AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE i.e. Five sets of five alpha-numeric codes. Make sure there are no spaces at the beginning or end. Do not put anything in the "Lite to Full Key" field.
Do not change any of the default directory locations.
Click the "Update" button. Enter your FG website username and password in the login window that appears. Click "Login".
You should be taken back to the Settings screen with some information now populated in the "Fantasy Grounds Store Purchases" window (shown blank in the screenshot above). You should see items such as 3.5E, 4E, 5E, etc..
Make sure "Live" mode is selected.
Click the "OK" button.

You should be taken to the "Fantasy Grounds Updater" window and data should start to download.

When it has completed the main FG launch window should open and you're ready to use "Manage Characters" or "Join" someone's game.

If you encounter any issues in the above process please detail at which point this occurred and what the issue/error message was. Also please provide a screenshot (with your license key removed) of the settings window.

Hopefully we'll be able to get you up and running soon!

ddavison
February 14th, 2017, 18:52
We will take this via support. Trenloe's suggestions are pretty spot on, but we may need to request a screenshot showing your license key information and other order information from DTRPG and that should never be posted online to the forums.

Regarding what I told you via support back in 2013, here was the thread where I mentioned that the Full (GM) license was necessary to host games and use some additional functionality but that you could create characters for some game systems and join games by other GM's as a player.

The email thread was about 7 or 8 messages, but if you re-read them you will see that I never mentioned a need for an Ultimate license.

Hello Chad,

1. These are correct. There are different versions with different levels of updates for the Lite and Full installer, but they both launch the same patch engine.
2. From what I gather, the product installed but then you received an error when you ran the update, correct?
3. Most of the functionality for this requires a Full license or being connected to a Full license running Savage Worlds. Some modules have support for Lite clients built in and some do not. Most, however, require a Full license.
4. The file size is actually 104KB. It is a very small add-on. When you have a Savage Worlds ruleset loaded as a GM or are connected to a GM running Savage Worlds, you can go to the module activation window to open any installed modules which are built as Client modules. Eye of Kilquato is an adventure module targeted to GM's running a Full license. When a GM activates this product, it will add additional story elements, images, etc. under the appropriate screen with a new "tag". DToSL will show up in your library once activated.

-Doug

Your reply seemed to indicate that the issue was solved satisfactorily, so the amount of anger you expressed in this thread so far is surprising.

Okay,
I did not see the fine print that I had to have the Full (GM) to use
those freebies.
thanks for the clarification. I can make characters and manage them,
and join another's game. It will be a little bit before I can upgrade
to full.

I'm locking the thread to further emails though because you've already been provided a lot of community response here already and the rest should go through support.

dulux-oz
February 15th, 2017, 00:58
hey i recently started with a standard as well with a complete character bundle. Dulux's tutorials were the best thing for me to get started! he is extremely thorough and teaches you each and everything you need to know one step at a time. try his videos and I think you will see immediate progress. there are many due to his broad coverage but each one will help you set up FG and honestly i would recommend just taking the time to watch each one! i can't express how much they helped me!

Glad you like them :)