PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Parties Same Campaign

TheSpartanShow
February 13th, 2017, 08:53
Is it possible to run multiple parties in the same campaign (though different story) with the possibility that at some point they will run into each other? I dont want to create a second campaign then when they do run into eachother I have to export characters.. and import them into the other.

damned
February 13th, 2017, 10:47
It is possible but you will have to get clever with masks and sharing.
No public sharing - share items with individuals (all the individuals).
Screen shot a half completed mask because you will remask it for the next group.
Make sure you have someone in each group keeping good notes.

TheSpartanShow
February 13th, 2017, 11:01
Sounds much more tedious then I want to really deal with.. I mean 2 groups of 6 players is tough enough as it is. Perhaps someone can make a Party mod that does all that..

Myrdin Potter
February 13th, 2017, 15:44
The easiest thing to do is to is either make a master campaign with the adventure and make a mod from it and then run 2 campaign folders with the same mod or just copy and rename your campaign folder. Export any characters that will cross over and bring them into whichever campaign (folder) is the one where most of the other characters are in. Will work fairly well, unless they are supposed to be in the same dungeon at the same time for some reason.

Trenloe
February 13th, 2017, 16:23
Yep, make a master campaign and use that to create a module you can use in each of your play campaigns. Mentioned recently here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36618-5e-Export-an-edited-purchased-module-question&p=320913&viewfull=1#post320913

Perhaps someone can make a Party mod that does all that..
This would be a hell of a lot of work and would rely on the GM being completely aware of implications of sharing data, etc. and could get screwed up by simple things like the player changing their name when they next join your campaign.

To be perfectly honest, FG has this functionality now - it's called a campaign. The only "hassle" you have mentioned is exporting PCs from one campaign into another - this takes literally a few minutes. If you use the /exportchar chat command it will export all PCs into one file which you can use to do a single load into another campaign. Quick and easy.

But, the recommendation is to use the master campaign -> module export approach so that you really keep the individual pieces of data separate in play different campaigns (e.g. sharing of images/campaign data that could be a big spoiler if the wrong party saw it) but still have the master campaign data available through a module that is maintained once in the master campaign.

Nylanfs
February 13th, 2017, 17:50
I see what's he's talking about. He has a world, he has two different groups (A & B). Group A is in Region X, group B is in Region Y. Should they interact in any way they will need access to their separate campaign info for each group.

The only way around this is that you have to either have three (4?) campaigns, A, B, A&B, & maybe a master campaign to build and export out into other three. Or only share info with the char's that need it and keep copious notes.

TheSpartanShow
February 13th, 2017, 18:00
I see what's he's talking about. He has a world, he has two different groups (A & B). Group A is in Region X, group B is in Region Y. Should they interact in any way they will need access to their separate campaign info for each group.

The only way around this is that you have to either have three (4?) campaigns, A, B, A&B, & maybe a master campaign to build and export out into other three. Or only share info with the char's that need it and keep copious notes.

Exactly what I was trying to accomplish! I'll just have to figure out the export/import functions now. Thanks!

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 01:11
One master campaign that you don't actually "play" in is my advice. See; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices