PDA

View Full Version : Updating a Module through Export

claedawg
February 13th, 2017, 06:34
It seems that when I add new things to a module through the Export feature I have to add all of the items that are already in the Module. Otherwise, Only the new items are found in the module when reloaded and any old items (items that were not overwritten) have been deleted. Am I doing something wrong or am I imagining this?

Myrdin Potter
February 13th, 2017, 06:43
A module only has in it what you specifically export. If you are modifying a commercial module in your campaign, I do not think you can export the changes. Modules are more if you are making an adventure you want to share or you want to run and then turn off when over. If you just want to run the same campaign for different people, you can copy and rename the campaign folder. What is it you are trying to do exactly?

vodokar
February 13th, 2017, 07:06
Every time you export a module, it overwrites what was there. You can't export the module then delete items and add items and re-export, because the items you removed won't be there anymore. You must keep everything you want in the module until you are ready to do the final export, then export all of it; that way it will have everything that should be there. If you think about it, it works just like if you were using a word processor. If you erase a word in Microsoft Word and then resave, that word won't be in the saved document any longer.

If you come back a few weeks later and want to make a change to your module, you must copy everything out of the module back into your campaign, make the change, then re-export everything again (or simply keep a copy of the original campaign the module is made in with everything still there).

That is actually best practice to make a virgin campaign solely devoted to making your module and then keep it unused for anything else and waiting in case you need to go back and make changes. You can even move that campaign to some other location to archive it.

claedawg
February 13th, 2017, 08:04
Every time you export a module, it overwrites what was there. You can't export the module then delete items and add items and re-export, because the items you removed won't be there anymore. You must keep everything you want in the module until you are ready to do the final export, then export all of it; that way it will have everything that should be there. If you think about it, it works just like if you were using a word processor. If you erase a word in Microsoft Word and then resave, that word won't be in the saved document any longer.

If you come back a few weeks later and want to make a change to your module, you must copy everything out of the module back into your campaign, make the change, then re-export everything again (or simply keep a copy of the original campaign the module is made in with everything still there).

That is actually best practice to make a virgin campaign solely devoted to making your module and then keep it unused for anything else and waiting in case you need to go back and make changes. You can even move that campaign to some other location to archive it.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was trying to do. I did find that this does not apply to exported tokens though. You do not need to re-export tokens you have already exported. That is what I worried about the most in this case really.
I am currently making modules from the Cubicle 7 AiME and my old MERP stuff. I've finished the AiME PHB and Loremaster books (all in one module). Right now I'm adding NPC stat blocks I've found online and plan to convert more stuff from the MERP modules. Making separate modules for the adventures and such to keep bloat down.

Thanks again. People have been very helpful on this forum.

Trenloe
February 13th, 2017, 16:16
I did find that this does not apply to exported tokens though. You do not need to re-export tokens you have already exported.
Tokens will be exported into the module if:
1) You drag/drop the token to the "Exported tokens" box in the Export screen.
2) The tokens are attached to an NPC or Encounter that you are exporting.

I'm thinking #2 is in play here, making you think that your tokens "have already exported".

As has been mentioned above, there is not a case of data being "already exported". When you export a module it will overwrite the previous export. So don't think along the lines "I've exported that before, I don't need to do that again" - you always have to select the data you want to export, and it has to be in the campaign you're exporting from.

claedawg
February 13th, 2017, 18:25
Tokens will be exported into the module if:
1) You drag/drop the token to the "Exported tokens" box in the Export screen.
2) The tokens are attached to an NPC or Encounter that you are exporting.

I'm thinking #2 is in play here, making you think that your tokens "have already exported".

As has been mentioned above, there is not a case of data being "already exported". When you export a module it will overwrite the previous export. So don't think along the lines "I've exported that before, I don't need to do that again" - you always have to select the data you want to export, and it has to be in the campaign you're exporting from.

You are most likely correct as the tokens I exported are also already connected to NPCs.

Thanks

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 01:09
If you haven't, I do suggest you check out the thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Hopefully it will help save you time with other possible issues.

claedawg
February 14th, 2017, 08:11
If you haven't, I do suggest you check out the thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33538-Adventure-Module-Creation-Best-Practices

Hopefully it will help save you time with other possible issues.

Thanks. You guys sent me there in another post and I have been using that. Has really helped a lot.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 13:07
Thanks. You guys sent me there in another post and I have been using that. Has really helped a lot.
I can never remember whom I've referred there :) Glad it has helped!