PDA

View Full Version : Clear Combat Tracker of .....

bnickelsen
February 12th, 2017, 19:29
I see teh option to clear all NPC's but is there a way to clear all PC's? Or simple Clear all?

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2017, 22:08
Not in 5e. You should not need to remove the PCs ever.

bnickelsen
February 13th, 2017, 03:13
Not in 5e. You should not need to remove the PCs ever.

Except when you have a large party that change composition each session and the CR calculator uses teh PC's in teh Combat tacker and you need to build an encounter based on different pc's Ect.

I now haw a party of 11 plus 8 friendly NPC's Add a bunch of enemies to the mix and some time you just want a clean slate.

irish_carbomb
February 13th, 2017, 21:51
I find that almost every game I play in (4 different games, with different DM's) I have to have the DM remove me and re-add me to the combat tracker at the beginning of each game. My PC does not seem to stay linked to the combat tracker between games. Someone suggested I clear my cache. I have done this but it does not make a difference. Other players in my games have reported the same issue.

Easiest way to tell if your PC is still linked, is to join a session, and just type in some temp hit points. If they show up in the combat tracker, you are good. If the temp hit points don't show up, then you have to be removed and re-added to the CT.

As a rule of thumb on the game I run, I remove all my players from the CT right before the game starts, then just re-add them as they join the session.

It would be nice if there was a clear all button, not just clear NPC's

Andraax
February 13th, 2017, 22:05
Then there is a problem somewhere.

I have players in some of my campaigns that have been playing for 2+ years, and they have never been dropped and re-added to the CT. Their tokens & sheets work fine.

Gwydion
February 13th, 2017, 23:58
I find that almost every game I play in (4 different games, with different DM's) I have to have the DM remove me and re-add me to the combat tracker at the beginning of each game. My PC does not seem to stay linked to the combat tracker between games. Someone suggested I clear my cache. I have done this but it does not make a difference. Other players in my games have reported the same issue.

Easiest way to tell if your PC is still linked, is to join a session, and just type in some temp hit points. If they show up in the combat tracker, you are good. If the temp hit points don't show up, then you have to be removed and re-added to the CT.

As a rule of thumb on the game I run, I remove all my players from the CT right before the game starts, then just re-add them as they join the session.

It would be nice if there was a clear all button, not just clear NPC's

Funny you post this. I've mentioned this to others but I have the same problem. I almost solely dm and I've noticed every time I start a session with my thurs night group I have to wait until all are connected and then I take them all off the Ct and then put them back on. If I don't do this then they all tell me they can only see a few of the characters health bars but not others, etc. it must be something I'm doing wrong but for the life of me I've never determined what!

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2017, 01:05
Except when you have a large party that change composition each session and the CR calculator uses teh PC's in teh Combat tacker and you need to build an encounter based on different pc's Ect.

I now haw a party of 11 plus 8 friendly NPC's Add a bunch of enemies to the mix and some time you just want a clean slate.

Yea, seems a little strange the option isn't there. From the menu there is the option to delete all foes and delete all non-friendly. I'd suggest placing the idea on the wishlist. Probably something simple ti implement.

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2017, 01:35
Probably the real answer to this issue is to figure out why the players are not connected on launch in some cases, and to figure out why health bars aren't displaying initially in other cases. I doubt it's anything anyone is doing wrong, but just a part of the logic that doesn't get initialized, or some unexpected data causing issues.

I may be able to figure it out with a copy of the campaign folder for a problem campaign, and knowledge of which PCs are affected. (You can send to [email protected], and reference this thread.)

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2017, 01:38
The reason why there is not a remove all PCs option is that you lose all the PC effects if they are removed, and I tend to either not offer those features which can easily lose data or at least make them require multiple clicks.

Regards,
JPG

Gwydion
February 14th, 2017, 01:46
Probably the real answer to this issue is to figure out why the players are not connected on launch in some cases, and to figure out why health bars aren't displaying initially in other cases. I doubt it's anything anyone is doing wrong, but just a part of the logic that doesn't get initialized, or some unexpected data causing issues.

I may be able to figure it out with a copy of the campaign folder for a problem campaign, and knowledge of which PCs are affected. (You can send to [email protected], and reference this thread.)

Thanks,
JPG

Thanks Moon Wizard! I'll check on my thursday night game and get more info.

Nilram the Grey
February 14th, 2017, 13:42
To fix the health bar issue quickly you need to force an update in its status. I just remove and then add back one HP. That always fixes the non-initialized health bar issue for me. I have noticed that this most commonly occurs when a setting change is made regarding how the bars are displayed, but on rare occasion people join and say they can't see them. Visibility never seems to be an issue for hostiles. It is only an issue for player health bars. Hopefully that info helps with debug and your game play.

Gwydion
February 14th, 2017, 13:54
To fix the health bar issue quickly you need to force an update in its status. I just remove and then add back one HP. That always fixes the non-initialized health bar issue for me. I have noticed that this most commonly occurs when a setting change is made regarding how the bars are displayed, but on rare occasion people join and say they can't see them. Visibility never seems to be an issue for hostiles. It is only an issue for player health bars. Hopefully that info helps with debug and your game play.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip. Never tried that. I might try that next tab rather than dragging players off and onto the CT. Appreciate it!

Moon Wizard
February 14th, 2017, 18:50
Thanks for the info, Nilram. Once I get a chance to investigate and if I can get a reproduceable case set up locally, your steps may give me the edge to find the issue quickly.

Regards,
JPG

Nilram the Grey
February 14th, 2017, 20:07
You are welcome. It feels good to give back even if just a little. People are so helpful here that it amazes me still.

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2017, 21:44
You can also fix PCs not seeing health bars and the name of NPCs on the map by going into options and changing the way this is displayed and then back to your setting.

Nilram the Grey
February 15th, 2017, 02:29
Zacchaeus,

I have found that doesn't consistently work. I used to think it did, but my players tell me not so.

Gwydion
February 15th, 2017, 11:47
One other thought. Two of my players play two characters. I wonder if it has to do with them grabbing multiple characters given it happens each session. It hasn't been a huge issue so I haven't tried too hard to debug. When we play tomorrow night I'll pay more attention and post back.