PDA

View Full Version : Basic Fantasy RPG

Zhern
February 12th, 2017, 19:09
I'm finally getting around to reading through the rules for BFRPG and I'm really liking it so far. Also, free is an excellent price as everything for the game is a free download (PDF/ODT) from the website. I did go ahead and pick 7 of the books up off of Amazon for a whopping total of $33 with prime shipping. When I'm eventually done with the S&W ruleset I think I'm going to knock out BFRPG (if someone else hasn't done it first). I recommend checking it out!

Basic Fantasy RPG (https://basicfantasy.org/)

vodokar
February 12th, 2017, 23:36
That would be awesome. I also recently picked up BFRPG and was pretty impressed. It is very similar to C&C, but without the SIEGE Engine. As a side note, they have some really awesome T-shirts available up on Cafe Press. I picked up the one with the Owl-Bear, to celebrate our victory from the other night, and also the one with the cover picture. They came out great.

Zhern
February 13th, 2017, 01:51
I'll have to check out their t-shirts then!

hawkwind
February 16th, 2017, 12:15
Basic fantasy is my fav retro clone good luck, it shouldn't be to much trouble to get permission to parse the entire game into a library module

vodokar
February 16th, 2017, 18:41
The entire text is classified as Open Gaming Content and is distributed free in electronic format, but I would still ask just out of respect.

I've been giving this a lot of thought. I believe that Basic Fantasy has most in common with Castles and Crusades. If you look at the rules, mechanically speaking, it is basically Castles and Crusades with the SIEGE Engine rolled back to being the AD&D 5 save system; both things that are right in my wheelhouse. Unless, Zhern really wants to do this, it might make more sense for me to do it; because I already have a lot of the existing codebase that can be used and am very familiar with it. It might even be something that can be done with a simple extension to modify C&C.

Zhern
February 17th, 2017, 01:59
I don't have my heart set on it. It does make more sense to layer it off of C&C. Go for it!

vodokar
February 17th, 2017, 06:16
I'm on it! 17947

I've only been working on it for about 3 hours. Already made huge progress, because I already have a lot of the new code required already made from the AD&D project. Just need to make some adjustments to it. Saving Throws are already in place and active including support for Multi-Class, but will have to modify the value tables and some other supporting stuff.

As for the rest, a lot of the existing C&C code already fits with Basic Fantasy, so I don't think this will take that long. I'll likely want to do a reskin of it though.

damned
February 17th, 2017, 06:48
I'm on it! 17947

I've only been working on it for about 3 hours. Already made huge progress, because I already have a lot of the new code required already made from the AD&D project. Just need to make some adjustments to it. Saving Throws are already in place and active including support for Multi-Class, but will have to modify the value tables and some other supporting stuff.

As for the rest, a lot of the existing C&C code already fits with Basic Fantasy, so I don't think this will take that long. I'll likely want to do a reskin of it though.

Can I reskin it for you?

vodokar
February 17th, 2017, 06:49
You Betcha! That's 'Murican for "yes".

damned
February 17th, 2017, 06:59
When you have something ready to share flick it over to me and ill start on a theme.
Huzzah!

vodokar
February 17th, 2017, 07:44
Can't wait to see what you come up with. You are so much better at the decorating than I am. I'll stick to the coding whenever I can.

Zhern
February 17th, 2017, 21:54
Hey damned, you want to reskin S&W for me? Otherwise it is going to look like 3.5e, lol.

damned
February 18th, 2017, 01:25
Hey damned, you want to reskin S&W for me? Otherwise it is going to look like 3.5e, lol.

Sure.

Zhern
February 18th, 2017, 01:30
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar, despite what your Cthulhu beard says about you! Thank you!

vodokar
February 20th, 2017, 04:03
Just a quick update. I still have to work on the combat engine, but other than that, the ruleset is very close to being complete. As it was essentially a hybrid between C&C and AD&D, two codebases which I am very familiar with, it fell into place in record time. I sent it to Damned for reskinning. Will put the final pieces into place after he is done.

JohnD
February 20th, 2017, 05:12
Looking forward to seeing this.

krb243
May 1st, 2017, 00:52
BFRPG has been my go-to system for well over a decade and would love to see the finished FG product. Any word on progress?

damned
May 1st, 2017, 01:02
Aiyeee - I have not yet skinned it for vodokar!

Ctmega
August 1st, 2017, 16:47
Has there been any further progress on this ruleset? I just got into BFRPG and would love to run it in FG.

Thanks!

LordTripod
March 11th, 2018, 19:50
Hi everyone! New to FG (so working on that learning curve) but not new to old school. I'm a C&C, BFRPG, 1E, 2E, and d20 kind of gamer. I've been gaming since the late 80's and for the past 10-12 years, my goto has been Castles & Crusades. I'm very happy to see that FG has everything I need there. Then, I started poking around for BFRPG ruleset and came to this forum post. It seems like a year ago, *most* of the work had been done but just hadn't gotten across the finish line yet. So, I wanted to post this bump to see if there was a .pak file link anyone could/would post for BFRPG rules at this point?

I'd love to help test it out as an officially and/or community supported ruleset. I'm also a Unix/Linux developer (professionally C/C++/Perl/Bash guy) since 1999 - and would love to help craft the ruleset if anything is still needed there (though it sounds like most of that work has been completed). I love BFRPG ruleset (as much -if not more- than Castles & Crusades), so the passion and interest is there from my side as a consumer to get this one over the finish line!

That's it - sorry for the long post, just wanted to introduce myself and see if there was still any light at the end of the tunnel for this ruleset.

Thanks!

JohnD
March 12th, 2018, 01:03
Hi everyone! New to FG (so working on that learning curve) but not new to old school. I'm a C&C, BFRPG, 1E, 2E, and d20 kind of gamer. I've been gaming since the late 80's and for the past 10-12 years, my goto has been Castles & Crusades. I'm very happy to see that FG has everything I need there. Then, I started poking around for BFRPG ruleset and came to this forum post. It seems like a year ago, *most* of the work had been done but just hadn't gotten across the finish line yet. So, I wanted to post this bump to see if there was a .pak file link anyone could/would post for BFRPG rules at this point?

I'd love to help test it out as an officially and/or community supported ruleset. I'm also a Unix/Linux developer (professionally C/C++/Perl/Bash guy) since 1999 - and would love to help craft the ruleset if anything is still needed there (though it sounds like most of that work has been completed). I love BFRPG ruleset (as much -if not more- than Castles & Crusades), so the passion and interest is there from my side as a consumer to get this one over the finish line!

That's it - sorry for the long post, just wanted to introduce myself and see if there was still any light at the end of the tunnel for this ruleset.

Thanks!

Welcome! Nice to see another C&C fan here... far too few of us for my liking. :)

Hopefully you'll get an update/answer regarding your question. If not, the C&C implementation is quite good on FG, and getting better.

LordTripod
March 12th, 2018, 15:36
Thanks JohnD - yeah, always been hard to drum up fellow C&C'ers for some reason. Even those I've converted (especially if they come from Video game RPG backgrounds) just love them some power gaming and 5E. I can't understand it. Give me old school any day.

I see you run a couple of Greyhawk games via C&C - if you ever need another player, let me know. I'm trying to learn FG as quick as possible to convert my group from roll20 as soon as I can. I've been running games there for a couple of years as a C&C GM while using nbos software (The Keep, Fractal Mapper, etc) to stub out my content/modules. I want to consolidate all of that and FG seems like THE software for it. Anyway - long winded way to say - let me know if you have a slot at one of your C&C tables. Best way I know to learn FG is to jump right in and play.

Hlynrian
March 20th, 2018, 00:26
Looking forward to Basic Fantasy.

Ctmega
July 17th, 2018, 21:49
Just giving this old thread a bump... I am not sure if there is anything still going on for this or if someone else might be willing to take up the mantle and build a proper BFRPG ruleset.

Thanks!

masterburrfoot
July 29th, 2018, 15:57
Another bump for this or maybe some sort of update?

StylinLP38
September 6th, 2018, 17:34
Could someone explain the difference between Basic Fantasy/ Celest 2e / CnC?
I keep reading long threads on different forums, youtube videos and on here and having a heck of a time trying to figure out what ruleset to get behind on. Its all so confusing with so many people with different opinions! I can see why alot of people give up and go with the flow and just use 5e...

LordTripod
April 26th, 2019, 23:39
No real experience with Celest, so can't comment on that.

With respect to the other two, essentially, C&C and BFRPG fall into what is commonly known as OSR style games (old school revival) and are intended to be "rules light". Though similar, they do have distinct differences. BFRPG is more closely aligned (IMHO) with true old school D&D (and AD&D 1e/2e). In it's purest form it has 4 classes, 4 races, limited spells, and very simple and easy to learn mechanics. If you are looking for old school feel (easy to die as a first level character) that is very easy to learn and play, go with BFRPG (plus it's free, complete - but support the guy and buy the books!).

C&C aligns (again IMHO) more with d20 style gaming (so D&D 3/3.5e) but lends itself to being rules light by cutting a lot of fat that was associated with those systems and making it supplementary. It also leverages what the creators call the SIEGE engine for die mechanics which is just a fancy way to talk about how it handles skills/attribute checks and other miscellaneous die roles (including combat) by providing base numbers to which you add/subtract the roll of the d20 from. It's a unique (but sometimes criticized as being too subjective approach).

I love both systems and own many books from both systems but then again, I grew up in a land before the Internet and enjoyed playing the true old school systems. When Wizards launched 5e, MANY people jumped on that band wagon and it really hasn't slowed down. I've yet to fully adopt it (played a few games in it and like it but suffer from nostalgia on how things used to be) and so I like what I like...the older systems. I prefer these two over the originals because they are lighter on the rules and easier to pick up for folks brand new to RPGs (again IMHO).

Hope that helps (even if months late!).

And another bump for any feedback at all on whether there will be a finished BFRPG rule set forthcoming or not...

hawkwind
April 27th, 2019, 07:21
it wouldn't be difficult to build a character module for BFRPG in the new the "e rule set as theier is an option to reverse AC's and then you could just follow the example of the OSRIC modules that work with the new official 2e Set. As the rule set comes free with fantasy grounds (but not the rule modules) this seems the best way of doing it. i would suggest any one doing it looks at the OSRIC modules and then watched the you tube vids on how to make a 5e character class.

LordTripod
April 27th, 2019, 13:38
Thanks for the suggestion hawkwind. Based on the history of this thread, I thought there was already a ruleset in the works (posts 15 & 18) between Vodokar and damned but it looks like it died on the vine around then. I wasn't sure if there was already a finished product just waiting on a reskin. I'm still learning the tool (shame) had to take about a year hiatus from gaming due to work and just getting back into it (leaving roll20 for FG). Anyway, been watching vids, reading manuals, poking around and playing but need to just jump in with a group and get rolling to be honest. Once the learning curve is completed, I'd love to learn how to (and try and implement) a ruleset for BFRPG. I just didn't want to recreate any wheels that have already been minted and just may need to be dusted off.

vodokar/damned - anything new from your posts back in 2017? I know the product has updated much sense then.

Thanks everyone!

Xeonen
March 19th, 2020, 16:56
*attemps to raise dead*

tkinzer
March 9th, 2021, 20:43
*attemps to raise dead*

Necromantic assist!

Maybe everyone that is interested in this is playing DCC?

SPQR
April 26th, 2021, 20:54
Hey, got a ton of BFRPG books and looking to try them out. Any update on the BFRPG for FG?

JohnD
April 26th, 2021, 21:26
Hey, got a ton of BFRPG books and looking to try them out. Any update on the BFRPG for FG?

Well, it has been 4+ years since the thread has been started and requests for status updates began back in 2018 without response, so...not necessarily an indication but there doesn't seem to have been much/any progress (if I'm wrong someone will certainly pop in and say so).