PDA

View Full Version : Gurps DMs: How are YOU using the new GURPS ruleset (with CoreRPG)

seycyrus
February 12th, 2017, 18:27
Now I know that many of the other rulesets have incorporated Core for quite some time. The support and capabilities that I see demonstrated at times is truly remarkable (I think that 5E will actually offer the players a tissue if they have the sniffles!). I'm sure that the users are all very experienced with everything that FG can do...

But for me, all of the new capability that the new ruleset combined with Core offers is a bit intimidating and mysterious. In case others find themselves in the same boat, I'd like to start a thread where we talk about what capabilities and/or extensions we are bringing into our Gurps campaigns, what we would like to or plan to bring in, and what problems we are having. This thread is NOT meant to be a direct Q/A thread to Ronnke, but of course, his input is always welcome of course.

So, to start off,

What I have done so far.

1) I have used the new table functionality to create all the critical hit and miss tables, all of the hit location tables, spell failure and fright check failure tables. Used the nested table options to automatically generate nested rolls. For example a roll for right or left, when hand location is rolled.

2) I have used the calendar functionality to bring in the Mystaran calendar.

3) I have been able to get the Enhanced image layer stuff to work, but have not yet tested it in play. There was a problem when I tried to generate a hex grid onto a map, but the solution seems to be to first generate a square grid then change it to hex.

4) Message of the Day.

5) Combat Timer. Think this is VERY important to keep combats as short as possible.

What I'd like to include.

1) Parcels. Wasn't even sure what a parcel was before I watched Doug's second video about tables, but it looks cool. I'm not sure how much use I would get out of it tho. Does anyone else use or have plans for this?

2) Would like to have some sort of list of arms and armor, to at least include some of the low tech and Instant Armor stuff. Don't need to get down to the real nitty gritty, but some drag and drop inventory stuff would be cool.

3) Am using the formation graphics extension. Would like to change the image to something more useful for my needs.

4) Need to figure out the best way to change my font size. My monitor is 1440p and my UI is set at 115%. I know that there are several extensions available, but they seem to make one font more readable (chat box), while making another too large (certain parts of character sheet).

What is everyone else doing?

ronnke
February 14th, 2017, 03:23
I'm using the ruleset pretty much as is, with a bunch of tables and modifiers loaded. It does everything my group needs, and thus far the gaming experience has been great. I especially love the player side tracker and the fact that players can end their own turns. The layers extension is very useful, once you work around the quirks when using a hex qrid.

The only other thing I run is a GURPS theme which is in development by one of the players in my group. When finished, it will be made public. So far it looks really good with nice readable fonts and a GURPS look and feel. I'll leave it to the guy making the theme to post images, if he wants.

seycyrus
February 14th, 2017, 04:31
One thing I love about the new ruleset is the drag and drop functionality. In an attempt to create "shops" to manage player purchases directly in the FG environment, I am thinking about using GCA4 to create dummy characters with shop items. A character named "Armor", for example that has all the armors listed in its inventory. This would enable me to drag and drop onto a character sheet, as needed.

Is there another way to do this that I'm missing?

ronnke
February 14th, 2017, 05:22
That's a novel way of doing it.

You can use the Parcels to build things like the Loadouts found in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy books. You could also use the Parcels for your shops idea and simply have all the items available from that shop contained within that parcel. Share it to the players whenever they go on a shopping spree.

damned
February 14th, 2017, 08:33
3) Am using the formation graphics extension. Would like to change the image to something more useful for my needs.

Just replace the formation extensions partyorder.jpg with another image at exactly 520x520px.

seycyrus
February 16th, 2017, 13:23
That's a novel way of doing it.

You can use the Parcels to build things like the Loadouts found in the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy books. You could also use the Parcels ...

Wouldn't utilization of the Parcels in the Gurps ruleset in that manner require a lot of manual entry? The reason I would use dummy characters as a sort of middleman item holder is because GCA4 and the exporters, allow me to pull in more information much more quickly.

Perhaps AFTER I pull the items into dummy characters, I could then populate "shop Parcels".

ronnke
February 16th, 2017, 13:31
Yeah, if you are getting your items from GCA, then that's going to be the quickest way to get them into FG, short of creating a script to export the GCA items. Following that, the parcels will be far more convenient.

Honken
February 18th, 2017, 14:57
Well, i have not started using the ruleset yet, i have fiddled with it a bit, but that is it. I plan to continue my GURPS Traveller campaign though. :P

/H

seycyrus
February 18th, 2017, 16:29
Well, i have not started using the ruleset yet, i have fiddled with it a bit, but that is it. I plan to continue my GURPS Traveller campaign though. :P

/H

I read through a few Traveller books in the early days, but never got the chance to play. Always loved the advertisements in The Dragon magazine!

I assume that you'll be using a lot of vehicles, items etc. Would be useful to know how you handle that stuff.

Chorpa
February 19th, 2017, 12:28
So far I haven't seen much I need to do. If you have the PDFs of the books you use it is just a matter of cut'n and paste info if you want to add em into FG (doesn't take that much time really). We haven't had time to play with the GURPS ruleset yet. So something might come up. We are taking it for a spin in 2 days with my newly started GURPS Old West/Horror campaign.

seycyrus
March 15th, 2017, 02:49
One thing that I figured out yesterday, and maybe everyone else already knows this ... But you can store an entire series of modifiers in a single quickslot, by populating the modifier window with a bunch, then dragging the modifier box over to the quickslot.

Saves a huge amount of time as a GM! If for instance you have 4 goblins waiting in ambush. Each of them takes his accuracy bonus, aims for 3 rounds, aims for the groin, at 15 yards. etc. Just quickslot it, and then when the run comes around in the CT, use the quickslot!

Andraax
March 15th, 2017, 13:02
Type "/mod XX Description of modifier" into the chat box, do NOT hit enter, then drag that text to a quick slot.

seycyrus
March 15th, 2017, 13:44
Type "/mod XX Description of modifier" into the chat box, do NOT hit enter, then drag that text to a quick slot.

Is this easier? I think it is quicker to just use the table of modifiers that I have, to populate the modifier box with the series of modifiers that are appropriate. Then drag that to the quickslot.

Andraax
March 15th, 2017, 18:10
Depends on if you want to have a bunch of different modifiers in the chat box, or just one "combo" one. Personal preference.

Valekk
March 17th, 2017, 15:22
5) Combat Timer. Think this is VERY important to keep combats as short as possible.

How do I find this Combat Timer?

seycyrus
March 17th, 2017, 18:26
How do I find this Combat Timer?

This is an extension that is usable with coreRPG. One of the benefits of the new ruleset is since it is built on coreRPG, it is compatible with those extensions built for coreRPG.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions

Valekk
March 17th, 2017, 18:38
Thanks seycyrus!