PDA

View Full Version : Moonshae Isles

mhorgunn
February 12th, 2017, 12:56
Just had a player make is character from the Moonshae Isles. Now I read the books ... some 25 years ago. I've read the blurbs on a couple sites ... wikis and such ...and a bit from the Sword Coast supplement. I guess I should look for the old Moonshae book they did way back when. I think it was done by the book's author. Just thinking ... has this become the Forgotten Parts of the Forgotten Realms?

NotRussellCrowe
February 12th, 2017, 14:42
Good morning!

I really like Douglas Niles' books. The first one was written as a non D&D book but added into the world later on I believe. They certainly have a different feel from other D&D books that came after, especially the first trilogy. Dark walkie on Moonshae was the first Forgotten Realms novel published too.

It does feel like WotC has ignored that area now and focused all their energy on the Sword Coast. They seem to have ignored lots of other areas of the Realms too so it's not that they hate the Moonshaes (well maybe they do). But now that Firbolgs are in Volo's Guide perhaps Ffolk will be next and the Moonshaes will be fully realized again.

There are two Moonshae game books that were produced too, the first is more of a setting I believe and the second is an adventure. All this talk makes me want to grab mine and flip through them again.

mhorgunn
February 12th, 2017, 15:58
Found the manual on Drive Thru RPG and may pick it up. Yeah Niles' first book didn't have the FR logo. Supposedly Greenwood like the 1st novel so much he scrapped his version.

NotRussellCrowe
February 12th, 2017, 16:00
Oh I didn't know Ed Greenwood was involved in that way very interesting. I really liked the Celtic influence in the first book especially.

mhorgunn
February 14th, 2017, 01:16
The blurb I read on one of the wikis was that he saw what Niles had done so much that he scraped what he had come up with for FR and went with that I don't know if that is being truly involved but it is a conscious choice. :)

Zhern
February 14th, 2017, 02:09
Oh I didn't know Ed Greenwood was involved in that way very interesting. I really liked the Celtic influence in the first book especially.

Ed Greenwood created the Forgotten Realms. He was also the driving force behind the Forgotten Realms novels getting off the ground and being published. He is Elminster! I will say that I'm very biased to the Realms before there was any WotC influence on them. I despise what WotC did to the realms. And yes, the Moonshae Trilogy by Doug Niles was excellent. Darkwalker on Moonshae was actually the second FR book I read. I bought it and The Crystal Shard at the same time and by luck of the draw read the Salvatore book first.

Logan-05
February 14th, 2017, 03:38
Out of genuine curiosity, what is it that WOTC has done that you despise? I've always been more of a Greyhawk fan than a FR fan, and confess I've found it difficult to keep up with all the many [crazy] plots erupting all over Faerun, over its many centuries. For instance, I was in shock to discover that Myth Drannor has (yet again) been recently destroyed. Just when the elves had got it back .... In any event, I digress. I'd be interested to hear your complaint about the influence of WOTC on FR.