PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd Theme

damned
February 12th, 2017, 11:53
My group has just started the Curse of Strahd so I thought I would bump up the ambiance for the default 5e Theme.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51587
#2 2729

Now available in the Forge for Fantasy Grounds Unity

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/515/view

Szabtom
February 12th, 2017, 14:18
Pure awesomeness!

JohnD
February 12th, 2017, 18:20
Nice. Much better than the glaring white.

Calisto
February 12th, 2017, 19:12
This is perfect! I've been running CoS for my party for the last year or so and they are soon to enter Castle Ravenloft.

If running CoS I would recommend reviewing the amazing resources on Power Score to help you navigate the campaign. A ton of great information for DMs here.

https://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2016/03/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-curse-of.html

Martin153
February 12th, 2017, 19:18
Very nice damned. Thank you for sharing.

Logan-05
February 12th, 2017, 19:22
That's a thing of beauty!

Nickademus
February 12th, 2017, 19:35
That looks good, but I thought we couldn't share themes that used WotC artwork?

ll00ll00ll00ll
February 12th, 2017, 20:08
That's great! Nice work. I love the small sidebar buttons, you can bet I'm going to dig in to see how you achieved that (as well as the fullscreen desktop image)

I think my group will like this one a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Redemption77
February 13th, 2017, 00:01
I just installed this and gave it a try and it looks amazing. Its also free of clumsiness with everything being very well laid out. Truly phenomenal job on this

Zhakathoom
February 17th, 2017, 11:38
Can you use this layout and drop the background? I quite like the leathery original surface, but the buttons and windows on this looks amazing. :)

regards
- Z

damned
February 17th, 2017, 12:19
Can you use this layout and drop the background? I quite like the leathery original surface, but the buttons and windows on this looks amazing. :)

regards
- Z

Jump into the xml and remove the whole <framedef name="desktop"> through to </framedef>

Zhakathoom
February 17th, 2017, 13:20
Thanks Damned. However I keep getting an error when opening telling me the file is corrupted. Tried downloading again to no avail. You should be able to open this with any simple texteditor right?

Edit: Tried XML notepad too, but still get an error.

regards
- Z

damned
February 17th, 2017, 13:48
Unzip it first.... :)

Zhakathoom
February 17th, 2017, 13:51
:O

/facepalm

Now I'm embarrassed...
I didn't know... :P Thanks.

Regards
- Z

damned
February 17th, 2017, 13:54
So there is nought to be embarrassed by. You can just unpack it into your /extensions folder (in its own folder) and edit it and leave it unpacked. It should still get picked up.

Zhakathoom
February 17th, 2017, 13:59
Thanks again.
Can I also edit it, zip it back up as a zip file and then just change the filetype to xml? Or is there some other wonky magic to this? I do like the niftyness of having it as one file. :)

Regardless if I can get this working or not I must say this is fantastic work. Awesome edit. :)

Regards
- Z

damned
February 17th, 2017, 14:08
Zip up the contents - not the parent folder. Change the extension to .ext and move into the /extensions folder
remove the original file and the extracted files/folders
close FG and relaunch

Zhakathoom
February 17th, 2017, 14:37
Thanks!

Nalfien
March 11th, 2017, 20:24
Simply beautiful. Excellent work.

kp9911
March 12th, 2017, 07:57
I am around 70% done with my own conversions of CoS and this is going to make the cake all the more sweeter for both my players and me, thanks a ton damned!

Notsag
March 15th, 2017, 02:59
Niiice, this is perfect for my CoS campaign, thanks!

Patou
May 19th, 2017, 14:51
Wow! Nice stuff!

SirGraystone
May 19th, 2017, 16:35
When they went to the castle for first time, the players can hear organ music, so had this playing for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

Nickademus
May 20th, 2017, 00:01
That one's a bit cliche, so I used this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UnhAJTNfM8

KingFitz
May 23rd, 2017, 05:37
Very nice damned! I did some playing around to get it working ( I too didn't want the CoS Desktop Decal), but I think I learned something (after looking at your helpful hints)! This has reignited a yearn to learn how to manipulate XML. This will definitely help make my life easier as a lowly Desktop Support person in my company. Thanks again for all that you do for the community!

bearskull
July 30th, 2017, 05:41
Edit: ignore this post..i apolgozie for being stupid and not realizing i was not viewing full site

ChazRambone
August 16th, 2017, 16:57
Thank you! Can't wait to see what my players think next week!

Praesi
August 17th, 2017, 15:35
That's beautiful! But if I activate it, I still have the SmiteWorks-Dragon on my Desktop, too. How can I get rid of that? Looks like Strahd von Zarovich forgot to take ot his dental braces... ;-)

LordEntrails
August 17th, 2017, 15:53
That's beautiful! But if I activate it, I still have the SmiteWorks-Dragon on my Desktop, too. How can I get rid of that? Looks like Strahd von Zarovich forgot to take ot his dental braces... ;-)
Turn off the decal using the GM options.

At least I think that should do it. I have not used this theme.

LordEntrails
August 17th, 2017, 15:54
Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Zacchaeus
August 17th, 2017, 16:25

To use this theme make sure that it is the only one loaded, otherwise other themes will overwrite it.

Nickademus
August 17th, 2017, 21:49

Turn off the decal using the GM options.

At least I think that should do it. I have not used this theme.

Yes, the Smiteworks decal is available regardless of theme and you will need to cycle through the decals to change it.

Praesi
August 17th, 2017, 21:57
Thank you all! For your answers (which solved the problem) and also for your welcomes :)

JimSocks
October 25th, 2017, 23:12
This is AWESOME! CoS will be my next campaign to run after OOTA. I wanna adapt this sucker for OOTA now... Time to crack my knuckles and dig into the XML to figure that out!!!

Thanks so much for this- it's an inspiration!

legitomega
November 1st, 2017, 22:28
I really love how the sidebar is clean, compact word boxes.
I give it a 10 out of 10, using the theme for my CoS game.

thanks for sharing

Volker
February 2nd, 2018, 10:36
why cant i download this? where is the link?

damned
February 2nd, 2018, 12:55
why cant i download this? where is the link?

Bottom left hand corner - set the theme to FGResponsive.

Volker
February 2nd, 2018, 13:00
Bottom left hand corner - set the theme to FGResponsive.

OMG thank you damned !!! you are a life saver !

SaintDeadp00l
September 19th, 2018, 22:46
how do you add it to your campaign details?

SaintDeadp00l
September 19th, 2018, 22:48
still cant download this

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2018, 23:02
still cant download this

Check down the very bottom left of the forum page and find the little drop down menu and select fgresposive. It is possible that you have the mobile view which won’t include the link in the first post.

If that isn’t the issue then give us more information.

Komodo
January 22nd, 2019, 18:57
This is great but any idea how I can get rid the my Dragon watermark in the middle of the screen?
It is right on top of Strahd!

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2019, 21:33
Go into the options and turn off the Decal option.

Regards,
JPG

Mindstalker
April 17th, 2019, 20:25
Hey guys,

awesome theme - really fits the mood.
BUT is there a way to make it fit my screen when Iīm using 2560*1440p as desktop resolution? Itīs kind of cut of / doubled for me and that doesnīt look "moody" at all ;)

damned
April 18th, 2019, 01:49
FG does not support background images larger than 2000px so it will always have to tile in some way. You can always edit the theme and replace the background with something else. It should tile horizontally pretty well though.

Nohal
April 18th, 2019, 03:16
Downloaded & installed, Many Thanks!

nlg2
January 31st, 2020, 19:14
WOW thx

Sasmira
February 18th, 2020, 03:42
Hello,

A little update for FG Unity with a personal custom ;)

https://www.resizup.com/images/2020/02/18/7af753f34a.md.png (https://www.resizup.com/image/Oaow8)

S.

Steampunk Gamer
April 7th, 2020, 19:08
Hi, I'm new to FG! I was wondering will this work with Fantasy Grounds Unity?

Sasmira
April 7th, 2020, 19:19
Hi, I'm new to FG! I was wondering will this work with Fantasy Grounds Unity?

welcome :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36678-Curse-of-Strahd-Theme&p=476622&viewfull=1#post476622

Steampunk Gamer
April 7th, 2020, 19:36
welcome :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36678-Curse-of-Strahd-Theme&p=476622&viewfull=1#post476622

Thanks! It looks awesome!:)

Xaigor
April 21st, 2020, 05:05
Hi, this is my first time on the forum, I would like to thank you for the theme, this is very beautiful but I would like to change the background image, I tried to take a same size image and just change it in the frame folder but it didn't work, which could i do to just change the background image?

Martin153
April 21st, 2020, 12:51
I don't know if this helps, but I use it all the time. It allows you to create your own image as background within Fantasy Grounds.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47787-Utility-Background-Theme-Maker-for-FG-(All-Rulesets)

benvredenburg
July 22nd, 2020, 00:35
Sorry to revive such a long dead thread but I just found this theme and want to do what Zhak described. Problem is, I have no idea how to "jump into the xml" as stated here. When I downloaded the theme it downloaded as an EXT file and is not in plain text when you open it.

Zacchaeus
July 22nd, 2020, 00:42
You’ll need to change the .ext to .zip and then unzip the file to see the contents.

benvredenburg
July 22nd, 2020, 01:17
oh, well that's easy enough, thank you for the information

benvredenburg
July 22nd, 2020, 01:24
OK, that didn't work. after zipping and unzipping the file it still shows as an EXT file and is unreadable

Edit: figured it out

superteddy57
July 22nd, 2020, 04:36
After changing the file format from .ext to .zip, it should treat it as a zip file which can be unzipped into folder form. Then you can see all the files that make up the extension.

damned
July 22nd, 2020, 05:01
Some applications like 7zip will recognise the ext (and other FG extensions) as a zip and let you unzip it directly.

Heinz Conti Zacherl
August 7th, 2020, 01:07
how can i download the file?

damned
August 7th, 2020, 03:36
how can i download the file?

Welcome Heinz

Scroll to the bottom left of teh page and set the theme to FG Responsive and you should be able to see downloads.

MShadowlight
February 14th, 2021, 12:47
I had a bug. I begin to make PC-s and every story menu disappeared. No story, maps or tables, only heroes, background, calsses, etc. How can I fix it? Thanks in advance!

MShadowlight

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2021, 14:46
I had a bug. I begin to make PC-s and every story menu disappeared. No story, maps or tables, only heroes, background, calsses, etc. How can I fix it? Thanks in advance!

MShadowlight

Welcome to FG.

If you are using Unity I'm not sure this theme will work in it.

MShadowlight
February 14th, 2021, 14:50
Hi! Thanks you! Meanwhile the problems was solved. The menu system reloaded its options, when I discovered that was the only problem I recovered it. Sorry for the fright!

Olmac1
February 14th, 2021, 18:32
If you are using Unity I'm not sure this theme will work in it.
We've been using it with Unity since June 2020 without a hitch.

The Naif
March 31st, 2021, 19:23
Hello,

https://www.resizup.com/images/2020/02/18/7af753f34a.md.png (https://www.resizup.com/image/Oaow8)

S.

This looks amazing; however, the Unity version seems to be the only theme does doesn't work with Fantasy Grounds Syrinscape Sound Links. The old theme works in Unity and works with Sound Links, though.
Edit: Fixed by unpacking the .ext into its own folder and removing <includefile source="desktop/desktop_classes.xml" /> from extension.xml.

mclimbin
May 10th, 2021, 00:57
Hi everyone,
This theme is gorgeous and I really want to use it, but I don't like the way it tiles on my wider monitor. I would like to use a textured "velvet" background, similar to the background in the boxes. I "jumped into the xml" and swapped out the image file, but somehow FG doesn't recognized it as an extension. It doesn't show up in my Extensions list when I start up the game. I'm sure it's because I did something wrong out of my noobiness.

So, here is what I did. Maybe you can tell me what I should do differently?

I changed the file type from .ext to .zip
I unzipped the file with windows
I found the image file in graphics/frames.
I swapped out the image with another that I had made in PS. I saved it under the same name as the original ("Strahd.jpg")
I zipped it
I changed the file type back to .ext
I copy/pasted the new .ext file into the extensions folder in FGU

Am I doing something wrong? Like I said, FGU doesn't seem to recognize it as an extension, as it does not show up in my extension list.
Any help would be appreciated!

damned
May 10th, 2021, 01:00
Dont zip the folder. Zip the contents of the folder.

mclimbin
May 10th, 2021, 01:31
Thank you!
It is tiling now, but only on the top. The bottom part of the background is bright blue. Any suggestions for this. I'm going to try making the image bigger...

damned
May 10th, 2021, 02:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLM0qMsNybg

mclimbin
May 10th, 2021, 02:55
Thank you so much!
If I have questions about the XML, should I post those here? Or is there a better place to post those?
Thank you again for helping out a beginner.

damned
May 10th, 2021, 03:15
here is fine.

mclimbin
May 10th, 2021, 07:55
Thank you! I got it to work. I just used the cover image from the assets folder as a decal, so that it is centered.
The velvet background is a little grid-ish, if you know what I mean. But I can work on that in Photoshop. Here is how it turned out!

Tatershal
June 15th, 2021, 16:54
Hello,

S.

Hello, how is everything? I'm using your extension, but after an update it started reporting this error.47609

mclimbin
June 15th, 2021, 21:34
I'm getting that error too. I assumed it was some mistake I made while I was tinkering with it, so I'm interested to know that it is happening with someone else!

Tatershal
June 21st, 2021, 17:54
My group has just started the Curse of Strahd so I thought I would bump up the ambiance for the default 5e Theme.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17890

Can you help me with the error I showed above?

damned
June 22nd, 2021, 00:13
I dont think it actually affects the functionality.
When I wrote this the text sidebar buttons were not part of FG - they are now the default and the code has changed over time.
Im pretty sure the extension still works.

Tatershal
June 23rd, 2021, 05:32
I dont think it actually affects the functionality.
When I wrote this the text sidebar buttons were not part of FG - they are now the default and the code has changed over time.
Im pretty sure the extension still works.

please look at this log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CXrmmAvoaxAlN3xIpYjs-IqsoS2_WcSD/view?usp=sharing

damned
June 23rd, 2021, 06:34
What am I looking for in particular?
I dont see anything in the Console log that is screaming - I wont work because of this error.
I am overwriting a menu option that no longer exists so my menu isnt being called.

mclimbin
June 25th, 2021, 19:05
Yes, you are right Senor Damned. It doesn't seem to affect functionality at all.
One thing I have noticed in my fork is that the Assets folder is the traditional wood grain instead of the CoS themed red velvet. It doesn't bother me at all, but I was wondering if it is related to the error message. It could also just be my fork, too, so...

damned
June 27th, 2021, 04:55
I havent used it in some time. Its possible I never replaced the Assets frame...

amanwing
November 10th, 2021, 19:07
I also get this error message in unity [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/data_library_com.lua"]:3: attempt to call field 'showDockTitleText' (a nil value)
I think this Theme is awesome and I would like to use it. It should be possible to disable this line in the theme or?

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2021, 19:20
I get an error message in unity [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/data_library_com.lua"]:3: attempt to call field 'showDockTitleText' (a nil value)
I think this Theme is awesome and I would like to use it. Can somone help?
Make sure you try with no other extensions loaded. If you still get the error, then you will want to open up the extension and look at the file data_library_com.lua and see why the showDockTitleText does not have a value. I'm not very good at code so would struggle to figure this out for you.

amanwing
November 10th, 2021, 19:24
Make sure you try with no other extensions loaded. If you still get the error, then you will want to open up the extension and look at the file data_library_com.lua and see why the showDockTitleText does not have a value. I'm not very good at code so would struggle to figure this out for you.

DesktopManager.showDockTitleText(true); I will test it and delete it. :D
Edit: did not work. This is the data_library_com.lua:
function onInit()

DesktopManager.showDockTitleText(true);
DesktopManager.setDockTitleFont("sidebar");
DesktopManager.setDockTitleFrame("", 25, 2, 25, 5);
DesktopManager.setDockTitlePosition("top", 2, 14);
DesktopManager.setStackIconSizeAndSpacing(47, 27, 3, 3, 4, 0);
DesktopManager.setDockIconSizeAndSpacing(100, 24, 0, 6);
DesktopManager.setLowerDockOffset(2, 0, 2, 3);

end
Edit again: I just deleted the whole data_library_com.lua and now it looks fine and the error message is gone.

wframe
February 18th, 2022, 12:27
DesktopManager.showDockTitleText(true); I will test it and delete it. :D
Edit: did not work. This is the data_library_com.lua:
function onInit()

DesktopManager.showDockTitleText(true);
DesktopManager.setDockTitleFont("sidebar");
DesktopManager.setDockTitleFrame("", 25, 2, 25, 5);
DesktopManager.setDockTitlePosition("top", 2, 14);
DesktopManager.setStackIconSizeAndSpacing(47, 27, 3, 3, 4, 0);
DesktopManager.setDockIconSizeAndSpacing(100, 24, 0, 6);
DesktopManager.setLowerDockOffset(2, 0, 2, 3);

end
Edit again: I just deleted the whole data_library_com.lua and now it looks fine and the error message is gone.

What exactly did you delete to get this working without the error?

damned
February 18th, 2022, 23:38
Ill build a new version and load to the Forge over the weekend.

damned
February 20th, 2022, 21:19
Didnt quite get there this weekend but it will happen very soon.

damned
February 21st, 2022, 00:55
Now available in the Forge for Fantasy Grounds Unity

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/515/view

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51587

Bonkon
February 21st, 2022, 20:58
Good Day Damned :)
Thanks for this. CoS is on my list of campaigns and I have always loved the way you worked this theme. :)

Weepdrag
September 18th, 2022, 19:04
Awesome theme!! Sorry to resurrect the dead, but did this extension get renamed for the forge? I have it installed through the forge, but I can't find it anywhere in the EXTENSIONS folder under the name on the OP.

LordEntrails
September 18th, 2022, 19:44
Awesome theme!! Sorry to resurrect the dead, but did this extension get renamed for the forge? I have it installed through the forge, but I can't find it anywhere in the EXTENSIONS folder under the name on the OP.
Many Forge items are encrypted in the Vault folder and not the Extensions folder. Items in the Vault are named with the UUID. You can find the UUID on the Forge page near the bottom.

Weepdrag
September 18th, 2022, 20:02
Thanks

ppostel
October 15th, 2022, 22:17
I have this theme and the Forge tells me I own it. Update is enabled but it isn't updating. Is there a way to manually update it?

Thanks!

ppostel
October 15th, 2022, 22:21
Never mind. I deleted the old extension and it works fine now.

Jeffdj
October 18th, 2023, 14:06
Any chance of another update? Something stopped working in the last month or so and I'm not knowledgeable enough to edit it myself and fix it (I've tried). I get a scripts/data_library_com.lua error for 'showDockTitleText' and when I load the extension the colors are off and so is the text spacing in some windows.

The Naif
October 26th, 2023, 05:41
Any chance of another update? Something stopped working in the last month or so and I'm not knowledgeable enough to edit it myself and fix it (I've tried). I get a scripts/data_library_com.lua error for 'showDockTitleText' and when I load the extension the colors are off and so is the text spacing in some windows.

Seconded! Beginning CoS again first of the year, and this was the best. :)