PDA

View Full Version : RMC Refresher?

JohnD
February 11th, 2017, 22:44
It's been 3 years since I've looked at Rolemaster on FG. Would anyone be willing to give me a refresher / walk through on running a game and putting a character together?

I was hoping for maybe a 45-60 minute commitment in the evening in GMT -6.

Fingers crossed.

Ardem
February 14th, 2017, 05:38
Hey John happy to do it, however our time frames are a little hard I am +10 GMT but can make it work on a weekend I am sure.

JohnD
February 15th, 2017, 02:26
Awesome. I'll pm you and we can figure out a time. Thanks very much!

Andraax
February 15th, 2017, 02:35
Hey, let me know when this is happening, I might want to sit in...

Ardem
February 15th, 2017, 02:43
If it is ok with John I can set up a teamviewer meeting on my side and people can watch if they like, or set up another time with me, but it easier if we narrow it down to John asking questions rather then a multitude of people. Also although I am familiar with RMC, its not my strongest of the multitude of rolemaster knowledge, but I am strongly familiar with RMC ruleset and knowledge of the background code as well as a number of hints and tips in how to make Rolemaster work for you.

JohnD
February 15th, 2017, 02:55
Yeah sure, no problems on my end.

JohnD
February 15th, 2017, 02:59
I set up a campaign and invited you both - I thought we could use the scheduling function to suggest possible dates/times that would eventually work.

Ardem
February 15th, 2017, 03:09
Done Sir, so the only things you will need are the following

Teamspeak so you can join my teamspeak server to join ts3.varidan.com.au, this is for voice comms

Teamviewer installed so you can view the teamviewer meeting, I am 90% sure this is needed as much as I use teamviewer for work I not used teamviewer meeting yet.

A patient and positive attitude knowing full well you might have to sift through my Australian voice and possible unknown reference terms, as all presentations experience in opportune challenges. <smile>

Andraax
February 15th, 2017, 03:20
That's ok, John has a funny accent, too. :-D

Ardem
February 15th, 2017, 03:40
Atleast he is apart of the commonwealth and not some traitor <wink>

JohnD
February 15th, 2017, 04:06
LOL my accent is bone tired lately.

Any instructions for this TeamViewer thing?

Andraax
February 15th, 2017, 04:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-r-5kB1Sz0

:-D

Ardem
February 15th, 2017, 05:01
All I can say, Australia is a proud country of misfits <grin>

As for teamviewer, no just install the free/personal version that is all you need to do.

https://www.teamviewer.com

Ardem
February 17th, 2017, 01:28
Just letting all budding Rolemaster GMs, that I will be running the Rolemaster GM Campaign Manager Training on Sunday 19th Feb, 1pm AEST, or Saturday 9.00pm EST, for those on the other side of the world. All are welcome.

Some of the things I plan to cover are.

- Making a Rolemaster Character
- Making a Campaign, hint and tips in organisation, and how prior planning can speed things along.
- Use of Combat Tracker and how with proper planning and a few tips and tricks to make it easy for yourself.
- Other Extensions and 3rd Party tools I use to make it faster in Campaign planning.

A bit about my experience, I been using Fantasy grounds since 2012 and GM a weekly Rolemaster game since then, I also am the author of the FRP extension for Rolemaster. My RMC experience is limited however, the ruleset is still very similar to RMSS, FRP and RMU, which are the core of my knowledge. This experience carries across however I will not be going into great detail into RMC rules, but I will stay with the basics around this.

We also stream our weekly Rolemaster games, which you can find here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYioT7bH-z0&list=PLrEy3kvjMfUP3sSypPumIBAENdyO3epbq

JohnD
February 17th, 2017, 19:42
It would be nice to hear something about RMU. It has been not moving at the speed of a glacier.

JohnD
February 18th, 2017, 00:16
Have spent a little time stumbling around RMC this afternoon. It looks like the ruleset hasn't benefited from any of the updates and interface improvements in the past couple of years. Looking forward to the refresher.

damned
February 18th, 2017, 02:07
Have spent a little time stumbling around RMC this afternoon. It looks like the ruleset hasn't benefited from any of the updates and interface improvements in the past couple of years. Looking forward to the refresher.

Anything not on CoreRPG will be lacking in things that the Core Rulesets have.
Its not that have none of these new features they just dont have them all.
Even hacking code from CoreRPG to put in another older ruleset can be a considerable task.

Ardem
February 18th, 2017, 02:16
Start hassling dakadin <smile>

JohnD
February 18th, 2017, 22:01
It's too bad RMC has fallen by the way side a bit... still I guess this is the market speaking.

Time to get Marty and take the Delorian back to 2013. ;)

JohnD
February 19th, 2017, 04:26
Thanks very much Ardem for your time this evening (afternoon for you). It was very helpful as a reminder to me... fingers crossed I don't promptly forget it all.

If you ever made headway on that XP tracker extension for RMC, a copy would be greatly appreciated as I can't find it anywhere on these forums.

hawkwind
February 20th, 2017, 17:40
At least Targeting has improved in the last 12 months

JohnD
February 23rd, 2017, 19:37
At least Targeting has improved in the last 12 months

That's true, although from what I remember the old way wasn't too bad either.

Dakadin
February 24th, 2017, 03:08
That's true, although from what I remember the old way wasn't too bad either.

The problem was the old way stopped working at one point so it needed to be updated. ;)

kccal
April 23rd, 2017, 22:24
Hey Guys, You didn't by any chance record this training session for viewing by others at a later date did you??

JohnD
April 23rd, 2017, 22:29
As far as I know the answer is no.

kccal
April 23rd, 2017, 22:48
As far as I know the answer is no.

Grrrrr, I was hoping that was not the case! It would be great to preserve valuable training sessions like that in the future for RMC FG nubies like myself and others to help bring us up to speed. While I enjoy playing other gaming systems, RM is absolute, hands down my favorite... a little complex, but IMHO worth the learning curve.

JohnD
April 24th, 2017, 03:16
Agree with you completely!

Majyk
April 24th, 2017, 05:38
i did save it, actually.
It is very rough and needs editing but once done, I can make it available for sure - with Ardem's permission, of course.

kccal
April 24th, 2017, 06:14
i did save it, actually.
It is very rough and needs editing but once done, I can make it available for sure - with Ardem's permission, of course.

Excellent!! That would be VERY cool if you can make the happen! Would be nice to see RMC get some much deserved love and new player interest! Thanks Majyk!

Bravo228
April 24th, 2017, 20:17
I have never done a video before, but I am seriously considering doing one on character creation.

Ardem
April 26th, 2017, 05:21
Yeah no issues, just take out that annoying australian voice in the edit, as he sounds clueless. <smile>

Majyk
April 26th, 2017, 06:38
Not like usual, though, it was a pretty lucid day for you! ;)

It wasn't that, but a member of the audience ended up having the worst coughing/hack attack that night.
Coupled with no Mute button/Push-to-talk enabled or the disinclination to use it, it seemed, it made for a tough recording - I think Ardem was able to take away voice a few times towards the end, but juggling that And coaching on FG RM would end the same for anyone's session, unfortunately.

As a FG table and general nicety rule, make sure to use Push-to-talk, folks!
Aside, I do hope that person ended up being ok, as it was one hell of a cold!

Ernoldo
April 27th, 2017, 20:20
Great that you got this one saved Majyk, cant wait to see it :)

Majyk
April 30th, 2017, 18:46
Great that you got this one saved Majyk, cant wait to see it :)

Will try to work on it this week, and post by the weekend.
Now to play with the fancy video editing tools I've had for years but never needed.

Martin153
July 4th, 2017, 20:40
That would be great.. Its been years sine I GM'd RMC and MERP. Just purchased the Ruleset and my head is exploding.....

Dakadin
July 7th, 2017, 06:29
That would be great.. Its been years sine I GM'd RMC and MERP. Just purchased the Ruleset and my head is exploding.....

Hi Martin153,

I sent you a PM about this.

Dakadin

Frunobulax
July 15th, 2017, 05:32
If anyone is interested in joining an existing RMC campaign, I am running one and looking for new players! Details:

https://extraordinarygamers.net/Events/ModuleID/492/ItemID/1424/mctl/EventDetails

Note that the schedule is screwed up for July, there is actually a session happening every Wednesday, next one is July 19.

Szakal
September 24th, 2017, 14:29
i did save it, actually.

Hi. And what about this film, because I'm still waiting impatiently.

Is it possible to carry out / record a tutorial on character creation and combat? Because from a friend we bought a rolemaster but we have a big problem to understand game

Sulimo
February 24th, 2018, 22:33
Hi. And what about this film, because I'm still waiting impatiently.

Is it possible to carry out / record a tutorial on character creation and combat? Because from a friend we bought a rolemaster but we have a big problem to understand game

I am waiting as well, did this end up getting posted somewhere?

Trenloe
February 24th, 2018, 22:37
I'm not sure about a video, but there is the FG-RMC User Manual in the <FG App Data>\docs directory on the computer where the ruleset is installed, that gives a lot of info - including how to make a character and a GM "first 20 minutes"...

Sulimo
February 25th, 2018, 00:11
I'm not sure about a video, but there is the FG-RMC User Manual in the <FG App Data>\docs directory on the computer where the ruleset is installed, that gives a lot of info - including how to make a character and a GM "first 20 minutes"...

I guess I was hoping for something more up to date, the doc has not been updated since 2013... I saw the thread about a recording of a refresher session, and thought it might be a good idea to have a look.

I mostly have it down, I just wanted to make sure I was doing things properly before getting my group together for a session.

I'll give the doc a look, and follow through. Pretty sure I did that when I first got FG, however it has been a while now.

JohnD
February 25th, 2018, 04:46
I guess I was hoping for something more up to date, the doc has not been updated since 2013... I saw the thread about a recording of a refresher session, and thought it might be a good idea to have a look.

I mostly have it down, I just wanted to make sure I was doing things properly before getting my group together for a session.

I'll give the doc a look, and follow through. Pretty sure I did that when I first got FG, however it has been a while now.

You are in luck, RMC hasn't changed much if at all since then (for better or for worse), so it should still be relevant.

My suggestion is keep your group size small; 4 players or less.

Majyk
February 25th, 2018, 07:48
Will try to work on it this week, and post by the weekend.
Now to play with the fancy video editing tools I've had for years but never needed.

Sorry, folks, that ended up getting buried under learning the tools and never got completed.
Let me look at it once more, but if all else fails(or takes too long), I’ll finish what I can to clean it up and just post it.