PDA

View Full Version : DFC Alchemist 1.03

rollforyourstory
February 11th, 2017, 01:05
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone had a module for DawnForgeCast's Alchemist class. I was trying to make one myself but I have no idea how to create a class and have it work properly.

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2017, 02:05
Hi roll, welcome to the forum and to the community.

i'm not familiar with that class and I don't know whether or not it could be distributed even if someone had done a module for it. You can create a class in Fantasy Grounds (although some bits aren't working just right at the moment). The best way to figure it out is to have a look at an existing class out of the PHB. Make a copy of one by dragging and dropping it back into the class window and then click on the unlock button at the top right. You'll be able to then edit that copy and depending on how far removed it is from one of the standard classes you may be able to make your alchemist.

rollforyourstory
February 11th, 2017, 02:12
Thanks for the welcome!

If anyone wants to take a look at the document, you can get it for free on the website: https://dawnforgedcast.myshopify.com/products/5th-edition-alchemist-class

I thought about using PAR5E but is it up to date with the latest version of FG?

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2017, 03:10
No, parse stopped being supported a long time ago. It will still do a job but not as effective as you'd probably want. Have a look also at Nickademus' XML template; it's stickied above too.

Talyn
February 13th, 2017, 03:23
I've started this but I have a very busy week and a half at work, plus I'd have to contact Andrew at DFC to get his permission to distribute once it's done.

Talyn
February 13th, 2017, 18:13
Ok, it's probably 80% or more finished. The main snag is the spells. He's renamed at least two that I'm seeing, plus redefined several with a range of self only. At least one so far is only in the EE Player's Guide. So I have to decide whether to simply link to the existing spells and make a note somewhere in the class description about the changes, or to actually recreate each spell purely for the alchemist version. Other than that, it's done I think. I've sent Andrew an email about it, awaiting a reply.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17903&stc=1&d=1487009464

rollforyourstory
February 13th, 2017, 18:21
It looks great! If you are talking about the spells "frostbite armor" and "tendrils of the void", I figured them out.

Frostbite armor is a rename for "armor of agathys". Tendrils of the void is a rename for "arms of hadar."

I hope those are the one

Talyn
February 13th, 2017, 18:40
Yes, those are the ones. In the Quick Build he called it "Frostbite Armor" but in the actual spell list at the bottom he calls it "Armor of Spectral Frost" so that's what I actually used so far, as I created those specifically for the class module.

I have to decide whether to create the entire spell list as purely alchemist formulas or just link the entire list to the PHB/SRD/EEPG and let the DMs and players handle the changes on their own.

kp9911
February 14th, 2017, 07:31
I like the formatting done in the reference section, do you manually alter the xml or use a tool to do it?

Talyn
February 14th, 2017, 14:43
I do all my work in Notepad++ from scratch.

Talyn
February 14th, 2017, 15:05
Ok, Andrew got back to me and has given his permission to release this class. I'm slammed at work for the next week but like I said the only real thing I have to decide on is the spells -- link to the existing content, re-create all the spells as alchemist-only with the changes, or recreate only the changed ones (plus the ones not in the SRD).

WWZD (What Would Zacchaeus Do) :)

Talyn
February 16th, 2017, 15:47
Quick update while I'm at work: I had James do a QA and copyright check on this class. Andrew has released it under the OGL but it specifically references and utilizes non-OGL, non-SRD copyrighted content. If he would release it at DMs Guild it would be fine, but he does not wish to do so.

So, my hands are tied -- I cannot distribute this because it is in violation of the OGL. So is Andrew's PDF but that's on him. If I upload it here, the SmiteWorks folks are legally obligated to delete the post and the file to protect their license agreement with WotC and I'm not going to jeopardize my community developer status by knowingly putting them, and myself, in that position.

Should Andrew change his mind and comply with the OGL then this is ready to go.