PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand 3.5 ruleset

dmkevin
February 10th, 2017, 23:57
I have been playing or dm'ing a lot of 5e. I used to play 3.5 D&D years ago. I thought I would really like to do a test in creating characters and running a combat using the 3.5e ruleset. I knew of course that it would not be drag and drop. I got to the point where I had started to simultaneously create some player characters but then got to equipment for them. It seems to be the case you have to type in for every single weapon the damage versus different size creatures, etc. I don't think I can go any further especially as most characters would have three weapons or so.

I imagine you have to use one of the character generators that FG can import. But this means a quick change of weapon or adding a new one requires this other program to do most things.

How do those running or playing 3.5 campaigns manage?

Trenloe
February 11th, 2017, 00:06
3.5E doesn't have damage vs different sized creatures. It has differing damage based on the size of the weapon, not the target creature.

See here: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#simpleMartialandExoticWeapons Dmg (S) is damage for a small weapon, Dmg (M) for a medium weapon. It isn't based on the target creature size.

dmkevin
February 11th, 2017, 08:20
Thanks Trenloe,

I should not have stayed up so late working on that and posted a question until the next day when I could look at the rules and phb with fresh eyes. I had of course known previously that 3.5e did not have different damage for different size creatures. Being tired, I misread something, not helped by having been recently reading 1e rules.