PDA

View Full Version : Brand New to D&D 5E - Looking for Sunday game - This may be for you

Underdog
February 9th, 2017, 02:02
FG License: Ultimate
Game System: Fantasy Grounds D&D 5E

Time Zone: Eastern Time, USA (UTC-5)
Day of week and time: Sunday afternoons or evenings.
If new game, planned start date: 02/12/2017
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4+/- Hours (flexible)
Term: Work through initial adventure then re-assess

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord or Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50 to 60/40
Number of Players in game & needed: 3-5
Character starting level & equipment: 1st level basic
Character restrictions: Core races and classes

Details of your scenario: I am a formerly experienced DM who is returning to D&D after a long layoff and am new to 5e. I am seeking new D&D players who want to learn in a judgment free environment. We will be patient and prioritize learning the rules and having fun while getting to know each other and become familiar with 5e D&D as well as become familiar with FG as a virtual table top. If you've always wanted to play but felt intimidated by the prospect of being yelled at for non-optimal play or not being able to quote every page and section of the rule book or feeling bad for doing something "stupid" this may be just the game for you. As GM I'm considering it a rolling tryout. Any player who is hyper critical, disrespectful, a rules lawyer or mocks or is disrespectful to any peer will be excused from the game.

No offense intended to moderately experienced players but there seem to be lots of options for you so I'm prioritizing new people who may have been thinking about this but worried about taking the plunge.

I would suggest if we want to start actually playing Sunday that you may want to bring a character with you all rolled and ready to go. I'd ask that you message me with the characters info. Using standard starting stats is great. If players want or need help creating a character I'll be free for a group or 1:1 time before we play. Core classes and races to keep it simple for now.

I have an ultimate license so players only need the basic license.

We will be running either Lost Mines of Phandelver or In Volo's Wake or some hybrid of them for our first adventures.

Look for my PM after you sign up and reply when you can.

jjjtorrence
February 9th, 2017, 04:19
How's it going man? I usually have Sundays off of work and I am brand new to DnD/FG. I have played a one-shot session and I am currently part of a Curse of Strahd campaign (my first session of that was yesterday) on Tuesdays. I already have a pre-made character (Bard 1/Criminal/Tiefling/Neutral) with all the correct equipment/stats for his class/background, i used the 27 point buy to allocate his starting ability scores. I do work this Sunday unfortunately, but if you guys are running it when i get home, id be more then happy to just observe and listen to the game. I look forward to hearing back from you. I'm up for any scenario and I am really excited to get some games in!!!

Drafter
February 9th, 2017, 06:17
I'm chatting up Underdog thru pm, so hopefully I'll be joining as well.

Helvan Raptyr
February 9th, 2017, 06:52
Just a quick one, what time(s) do you have in mind? I'm in England so GMT timezone and 5 hours ahead of you. However, depending on what time this will be played I might be able to finish work, come home and play despite the difference.

(as a side note I would be home by 12pm your time on Sundays, and available through to about 8:30pm).

Genetex
February 9th, 2017, 13:40
I would like in on this^^
I am new to fantasy grounds.
Willing to play any character and buy the ultimate package.

Underdog
February 9th, 2017, 14:24
Hi Folks,
Follow the link to the game calendar page and sign up to express interest. I will PM each person to talk about what you're looking for in a game, what types of players you enjoy playing with, time/frequency/duration you can play etc. once I get a group that match up as far as availability and seem like a good fit as far as the type of game we will nail something down. Helvan: at the moment I proposed a start time of 1pm est so that's 6pm your time I believe. There are some folks who want to start a little later (mid afternoon) and some who want to start in the evening. I'll see what works for most and we will nail down a time by tomorrow night. Thanks for your interest in the game. If we have more than I can run this group I'll consider starting another to kick off in two weeks on a different day/time but also for new players.

Underdog
February 9th, 2017, 14:25
Genetex, you certainly can buy the ultimate license but won't need it for my game as I have it. You may want it for yourself or if you want to host games sometime but I wanted to let you and others know it's not required for this listing. Sign up on the calendar and let's talk further.

Genetex
February 9th, 2017, 14:53
Signed up and sent you a PM excited to be a part of the gang^^

discalced
February 9th, 2017, 16:30
I've applied -- new to FG and excited at the opportunity for inclusion. Will pitch-in however I am able.

Thanks!

MS

Underdog
February 10th, 2017, 04:16
Have sent PMs to players who have messaged or signed up on the calendar. Will finalize players and time tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your interest.

Vision667
February 10th, 2017, 07:04
Hello, I am new to D&D (only ever played two campaigns that never got finished) and brand new to FG. I saw your post here and I was hoping I could join you guys on your adventure. I was further hoping I could play as a Dragonborn or Goliath Paladin. I look forward to hearing from you Underdog and thank you for your consideration.

Gruber
February 28th, 2017, 13:46
Hi there, just figured this is the game from your other thread post. So this would be a good time to introduce myself.

About me
I've played DnD ever since but haven't done if for a long time and just recently started playing online. Have only participated in a couple of games in FG and Roll20 but almost all of them came to an early end.. So, I'm somewhat familiar with the software and 5e rules, but have not mastered neither the rules or all the classes.

Gameplay
My idea of a game is to role-play it, even in combat (do not like only hack&slash gaming toward battles and loot, I think it is for video games). I enjoy a good story and don't need a lot of combat encounters to make a good session, but a good mixture is always welcome. The 5e RAW looks great for my taste, as the players and DMs are encouraged to have a lot of flexibility to try out different things and rule as it they feel would fit any given situation, especially with the advantage/disadvantage, inspiration etc. So, don't worry, I would be very flexible about your knowledge of the rules, may even help if needed and learn along together.

Character
I would gladly play any character, but I this time I tend to incline toward Monk or rogue :bandit::ninja::pirate::rv:. Maybe even a bard, depending on the party setup.

So, If you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS I also may have a friend able to play and learn with us, if possible. Hope the game has not yet started?

Underdog
February 28th, 2017, 20:57
Hi Gruber. The group actually kicked off a few weeks ago and has five members at the moment. If we lose anyone I'll post again for any open slots. We are full at the moment though. It sounds like you're a skilled and committed player so you should hopefully be able to locate a game that works for you.

Gruber
February 28th, 2017, 21:23
I thought you've said on the other thread I was following that I've joined you Sunday's game.
Still no games for me at FG. My timezone and schedule makes it almost impossible to find one. Thx for the answer though.