PDA

View Full Version : FG refuses to activate on Win 10.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 00:27
I installed FG on my computer and entered the key. Then i got access and could run games etc. But when i quit FG and started it again, i had to enter the key again, and it kept doing that. So, i uninstalled FG and installed it again, and now FG flat out refuses to activate. I follow the instructions in the text file i got with the mail with the key. I have installed and reinstalled several times, even in other locations than default. I have run the installer and FG both normally and as an Administrator, no go.

Now i give up, i have tried everything. Please help.

damned
February 8th, 2017, 00:35
Hey Allmight
There is a build that has an activation error so lets try a couple of things.
Have you installed to the default locations or have you changed paths?
Can you access the Settings option?
If you can enter your key there, along with your forum username (Allmight) and password and then run the update.
Let us know what that does.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 00:42
I have installed both at the default path and custom one when default did not work, and then back to default again.

When FG launches i have clicked on the settings button, entered my key in the top key field, entered my name, clicked update and entered my name again with password so it updates the list of bought assets. Made sure everything else is at default.

No luck.

Even tried to enter the key in the 2nd reg field in settings and tried the Activate License option at the FG main screen, still no luck.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 00:49
Redownload the latest installer from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe Then give that a try.

damned
February 8th, 2017, 00:49
As a test - not a long term solution - please close FG, right click and "Run As Administrator" and repeat the process.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 00:51
Alread have tried to run it as Admin, both manually and through the compatibility settings.

Also just tested it on my tablet with Win 10, same there.

Will try the other download mentioned above.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 00:57
Same problem with the other download linked above.

Can it be something wrong with the key? I just bought it a couple of hours ago.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2017, 01:00
Can it be something wrong with the key? I just bought it a couple of hours ago.
Maybe. Make sure it is in the form XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX i.e. 5 sets of 5 alphanumeric characters. Also make sure there are no spaces at the beginning/end of the key.

If that still doesn't work then email [email protected] with your key and describe the issue you're having - they can check to see if the key is valid.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 01:07
Problem solved.

It seems my order had been cancelled on PayPal for some odd reason, and suspect the key was invalidated when that happened. The money have still been drawn from my account though.

I bought another Ultimate key, and that one worked. Lets just hope that PayPal does not cancel that one as well.

Anyhow, a big thank you to all of you that tried to help, it was much apreciated.

damned
February 8th, 2017, 01:12
Problem solved.

It seems my order had been cancelled on PayPal for some odd reason, and suspect the key was invalidated when that happened. The money have still been drawn from my account though.

I bought another Ultimate key, and that one worked. Lets just hope that PayPal does not cancel that one as well.

Anyhow, a big thank you to all of you that tried to help, it was much apreciated.

If you have been billed for a service you didnt get still send that email to support@ and they will work it out with you.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 01:15
If you have been billed for a service you didnt get still send that email to support@ and they will work it out with you.

I will wait a day or two to make sure i don't get the money back. If so, then i will contact support. Sometimes PayPal refund money automatically when something goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice :)

damned
February 8th, 2017, 01:17
If you did a subscription for a Full and then did a subscription for an Ultimate it will cancel the Full - you can only have one active subscription. If thats what happened PayPal wont get you a refund but Smiteworks might.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 01:21
They are registered as two seperate orders on PayPal. Both were for the Ultimate edition. But if PayPal does not refund, i will turn to Smiteworks and try to solve it that way. But thanks. PayPal usually don't send the money to the seller directly, if something goes wrong so they can refund more easily.

damned
February 8th, 2017, 01:32
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_subs criptionexplaination

Can I set up multiple subscription accounts with the same Paypal account?
No. There is a limit to 1 subscription per Paypal account. If you attempt to re-subscribe, Paypal will create a second (or more) Recurring Payment Plan, but our server will see this as the same subscription. No new key will be sent to you. To fix, you will need to cancel any extra accounts and then email [email protected] to re-activate your original subscription.

Its not the same description as you have but it might be behind the issue.

Allmight
February 8th, 2017, 01:50
Yeah, seems likely. However, i got a new key, hence i could activate FG, and it seems my other key was deactivated since i could not activate on it. *shrugs*.

I will give it a day or so, if nothing happens i will for sure contact support and see if they can help.

Many thanks for your help, much apreciated.

Nylanfs
February 8th, 2017, 01:54
Also note that the instant you cancel your subscription on Paypal (so you don't forget when the time comes around) then Paypal sends a notification to Smiteworks servers that it's no longer a valid subscription and is canceled. This is an issue with how Paypal handles their sub's.

If you are only testing it out for a month don't cancel till the last few days, I recommend putting a reminder on your favorite calendar app for this.

damned
February 8th, 2017, 03:28
Also note that the instant you cancel your subscription on Paypal (so you don't forget when the time comes around) then Paypal sends a notification to Smiteworks servers that it's no longer a valid subscription and is canceled. This is an issue with how Paypal handles their sub's.

If you are only testing it out for a month don't cancel till the last few days, I recommend putting a reminder on your favorite calendar app for this.

It might not be completely fair to put all the blame for the timing thing on PayPal - but none the less - the cancellation is effective immediately.

Moon Wizard
February 8th, 2017, 04:32
Doug has been working on improving our connection to Paypal over the last month, since Paypal finally added some new reports we were asking for. There is still the limitation that the license gets cancelled immediately when the subscription is cancelled.

So, please let Doug know, and he can get you squared away, and double-check the subscription status. Also, if you go over the subscription period by a few days when you didn't mean to, Doug will get you squared away as well.

Cheers,
JPG