PDA

View Full Version : Chat window client cannot type

JimSocks
February 7th, 2017, 05:16
Hello all!

I've done searches for answers to this problem, but as I've demonstrated time and again: my SeachFu is not black belt level.

A new member joined my campaign tonight (a non-game night), and just him and I met up to create his character, get him acquainted with the software, make sure everything works smoothly, and get his first log-in out of the way since downloading everything can take a long time the first log-in.

I have an ultimate license, he is running demo.

Sometimes FG lets him type in the chat window, but most of the time it doesn't. We can't figure out why. He doesn't appear to be experiencing internet slow-downs. Additionally, he opened the PHB (5e) in the module window, then started opening and reading links from it, then after about 20 minutes he couldn't read the links anymore and it made him re-open the PHB book icon that had closed all on its own (this happened twice)

He is on a Mac running wine skin but seems to have that going smoothly. I am on a windows laptop with a wired internet connection. Furthermore, I've never had this issue with any of the other 6 players in the campaign, and one of them is also a Mac/wineskin user.

Thoughts?

Moon Wizard
February 7th, 2017, 06:53
I haven't heard of anything like that before, where it only allows typing intermittently, and links stop working.

For the typing, I would guess that the typing might be some OS helper app interfering by intermittently grabbing keyboard focus, but not sure.

For the links, the links should either work or not, since the data is cached once it is downloaded. If we are talking different links at different times instead of the same link, it might be related to download failures due to poor network connection. If they use wireless networking, you can try having them plug in a cable.

Also, you can always try having the player nuke their cache before the next connection in order to force a re-download of all content for the campaign.

Regards,
JPG

JimSocks
February 8th, 2017, 12:57
He downloaded a different emulator and it fixed all the problems!

Nylanfs
February 8th, 2017, 15:53
Yea!